Heads for louder toms?

natdigga

I'm not sure how much of a difference heads can make on tom volume because I've always picked on tone, attack, etc. I currently have Evans G2 Clears on the batter side and G1 Clears on the resonant of 10", 12", and 14" birch toms (no muffling). I think the attack and overall tone are exactly what I'm going for, but I would love if they could be a little louder and/or sustain a little longer. It would also be cool if I could tune them a little lower, especially the 14".

Suggestions anyone?

Clear heads will give you more attack (perceived as volume) so you're on the right track there, and a G1 as a reso gives more 'power' to the toms, so that's a good combo to start with. I would experiment with a G+ (12mil single ply) batter to get a bit more whack from the toms. It should work especially well on the 14" floor tom, but I think it may choke on the 12 or 10". That is, you won't get a lot of resonance on the smaller toms with the thicker head.

I'd say start with a 14" G+ (soon to be renamed G12 when Evans introduces the new G14!) and see if that's the right direction on that drum. But with "fusion" sizes, you're only going to get so much resonance. they're much better with attack.

Bermuda

I've found single ply heads to be louder (or perceived louder) than 2 ply. More of the open 'drum' sound comes through, less dampened, even when no muffling used (I never use muffling anyway). Have you tried G1 clears for the batters?

I've found single ply heads to be louder (or perceived louder) than 2 ply. More of the open 'drum' sound comes through, less dampened, even when no muffling used (I never use muffling anyway). Have you tried G1 clears for the batters?

Yeah I did. I guess the perceived loudness v. thickness depends on one's playing style. I play with sticks that are bigger than 2Bs and I get a pretty good amount of power behind my wrists (especially for toms because I record on a 4-mic setup and have to get them level with cymbals and snare in the overheads), so the attack from G1 Clears was rather bright, almost nasally, and I couldn't get them to hold the lowers tunings I got with the G2 Clears. I'm guessing you use smaller stick or have a less aggressive style. But thanks for the suggestion! Maybe I'll try G Plus Clears on batters.

Clear heads will give you more attack (perceived as volume) so you're on the right track there, and a G1 as a reso gives more 'power' to the toms, so that's a good combo to start with. I would experiment with a G+ (12mil single ply) batter to get a bit more whack from the toms. It should work especially well on the 14" floor tom, but I think it may choke on the 12 or 10". That is, you won't get a lot of resonance on the smaller toms with the thicker head.

I'd say start with a 14" G+ (soon to be renamed G12 when Evans introduces the new G14!) and see if that's the right direction on that drum. But with "fusion" sizes, you're only going to get so much resonance. they're much better with attack.

Bermuda

Somehow I had never managed to consider using different heads on the different toms... lol. That is a really good idea to get the sound I'm looking for. I've never had a problem getting the 10" to sound the way I want so it keeps the G1 Clear, but it seems like the 12" and 14" lose some of their 'zing' at the lower tunings I have them on now (they still hold the tuning though). I think the 14" handles it better though, so would definitely benefit from the G Plus Clear resonant. The 12" is the forgotten middle child that doesn't fit in as well, so I'm not sure whether it would benefit from a G Plus Clear itself or not. What do you think?

Oh, and G14? Damnit Evans, stop making new drum heads that pique my curiosity to the point I have to buy them to try them out. Dirty business tactics if you ask me.

for low pitch try aquarian performance II, you can pick one up out of the box and flick it and it has resonance, and i get plenty of volume out of my tama starclassic birch. resos would be classic clears (also aquarian)
Another alternative is remo pinstripes over ambassadors. This is a "classic" set up for rock and metal, and ive used it on all sorts of kits, ash, oak, maple, birch, and everyone i play on has a open, full LOUD sound. they get pretty low too.

Back