Headphones for drums

Henke90s

I need some headphones for playing drums along with music and for metronome. Are the vic firth headphones any good for isolation so that the drumset wont sound louder than the actual music? i could probably spend around 150$ on headphones.

if you like in-ear

i cant recommend skullcandy ink'd enough

their amazing

i keep trying different ones but always go back to these

i would say try not to use them when your out an about just as usual headphones as they dont seem to last very long

Vic Firth phones work well enough. They are loud enough to go over your drums (coupled with the isolation, that is) and clear enough to play along with music. I would never use them for live monitoring as they've never been clear enough for that for me, but in the studio they seem to be fine as more time and attention has been paid to my mix (and overcoming the single drivers).

I would NOT recommend in-ears for playing to a click for long periods of time. Take it from someone who has damaged their hearing doing just that.

I've tried just about every brand of in-ears and multiple lines within the brands. Skullcandy is one I would NOT recommend. I'd actually say that unless you want to go molded, the isolation will never be good enough to keep the volume below hearing-damage levels.

I can't speak for other over-the-ear products, but there are hi-fi options out there.

Good luck!

I also agree with not using the non-molded in-ears. You will eventually keep turning up the volume to where you're damaging your hearing. And I second the Vic Firth headphones. In that price range I don't think there's much choice.

I myself use GK Music headphones. They're basically Peltor shooting muffs with the drivers from the Sony MDR-7506 professional studio headphones. These are awesome. But I paid close to $250 for mine years ago I think. Great product nonetheless!

Good luck on your quest!

Thanks for the info everyone. I think ill buy the vic firth ones.

I have the Firth's. Not very good bottom end or highs. To help the highs remove a layer of the ear padding center.

I don't like the VF's. I had them for about 1-2 months before I replaced them with Etymonics 6i's (which only cost $10-20 more than the VF's). The VFs don't isolate as well, and were uncomfortable for me. I use the foam tips with the etymonics; they're comfortable and reduce drum volume to about the same level that I normally listen to music at.

Back