Matt Smith in Under 2 Minutes.

Mattsdad

I have enjoyed my brief visit on your site.

Today, several people were interested in the status of my son Matt Smith. After 2 1/2 years of anonymous session playing in Nashville, he has come back home, coinciding with his parents' return to America after extended appointments in East Asia. I think it's safe to say he was not musically happy in Nashville, mostly because it does seem to favor older studio players, while I'm certain a skilled 21-23 year old was not always a welcome addition. Others residing there may have a different perspective, but as a father, that will of course be my take.

I think a little burnout was inevitable, considering his earlier output. So, mostly, he's spent the last three months almost completely away from the drums, except for helping with a WFD show in April. But, you can now pick up on signs of a return, where this time he wants to go back on the road with live human beings.

A friend of ours put together a nice 34 minute compilation video of his early career. Yesterday, this comical under 2 minute blur of that same video was uploaded, and it really shows in exaggerated fashion how much he used to frequent the internet. The fact that only 3 seconds of the last two and a half years is featured explains how we felt about his time in Music City. But learning experiences are part of successful development.

Thank you for the sense of community he used to share on these forums and I will drop by again in another year or two.

All the best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rCogHArjH4

he wants to go back on the road with live human beings.
I think this is the tonic Matt needs.

Thank you for the sense of community he used to share on these forums
Yes, Matt was an important part of the fabric here, & I miss his input. He could be quite judgemental & absolutist from time to time, but always from a position of belief. I really hope things work out for him, & he can return here with the wider view that a spectrum of experiences can engender.

Thanks for the update. I have thought about Matt from time to time and I was curious about his whereabouts recently.

It's too bad that his Nashville experience was less than ideal from your (and maybe his) perspective.

A break of sorts is usually good. I can't vouch for this sentiment as a musician but as a lifelong professional photographer and creative type, I have many times changed directions and reset my purpose.

It would be good to hear from Matt again. Encourage him to post.

All the best to you, Tom, and Matt. His intelligence, knowledge and insight and surely missed here. Even if Nashville turned out to be a bummer, the experience will probably turn out to provide lessons he'll find useful later on.

Fingers crossed he can find the mix between paying the bills and playing music he loves.

Good to hear an update on Matt, he is definitely missed around here. I hope that he is able to take his Nashville experience and turn it into a positive that he can learn from. Sometimes, with the aid of a little hind sight, we can look back and realize how much we grow from each experience.

I am sure I speak for most of us here when I wish him the best of luck.

Back