Denting heads

TNA

I seem to be denting my heads a lot recently. What is causing this? Am I hitting too hard, having them tuned to low, or high?

What sticks are you using? When I use to use heavier sticks I would have a lot of dents in my drums, but not anymore... I guess hitting hard would fall under the same category. Tuning's never affected the wear on my heads

They're the same sticks I've always used. Pro Mark japan oak in a 5B, so pretty normal

Steep tom angles can be another culprit.....worn stick tips can be yet another.

Any vids of your set up and playing?.......that always makes "diagnosis via internet" a hell of a lot easier.

Steep tom angles can be another culprit.....worn stick tips can be yet another.

Any vids of your set up and playing?.......that always makes "diagnosis via internet" a hell of a lot easier.

No vids, but my tom angles are fine, nothing crazy. And I switched to nlyon tips a while ago because I was breaking the wood so often, but that's not a problem anymore.

Are you hitting any harder than you used to? Trying to hit 'through' the drum head as opposed to playing off the thing, for example?
Or have you changed to a new brand of drum head recently?

Outside of all those common causes and without actually being able to see what you're doing, I have very little else to offer I'm afraid.

Back