Alesis Sample Pad

The Sample Pad doesn't have a looping feature, you'd need to create a sample that is looped to the desired length, or trigger the sample on every "1" or every 2 or 4 bars and manually loop it, or try the Yamaha or Roland pad-modules that have looping functions. Of course, they cost quite a bit more.

Bermuda

Thanks. thats what I did. I went to "Audacity" and copied and pasted up to 30seconds. that way I can hit the pad every 20 seconds or so. Also the pads can be tuned up or down so you can sound real slowwwww or like a chipmunk. reverb rocks. love my samplings!

Thinking of picking one of these up. I will use some of the internal sounds but I am really interested in loading my own samples using the SD card. I would like to sample some voices I.e, 3 Stooges, cartoons etc and use the pads to trigger these at certain times, have any of you used the pad in this context? Thanks.

Haven't taken mine out, but it's easy to use, compact, and the best deal going for triggering samples. You can load 14mb of mono samples at 16/44.1, so that can mean 100 or more sounds, depending on length and sample rate. You can economize by creating 16/22.050 samples (or lower) for speech and lo-fi sounds.

Be aware that you have 8 presets with 5 sounds each (4 pads + 1 trigger/pedal) so that's up to 40 sounds without having to re-assign sounds to pads. But for $200, you can't beat it!

Bermuda

I just ordered one of these. As has been mentioned, it's under $200 and won't do everything. I picked this one mainly for size. I definitely need to load my own sounds though. I have a huge loop/sample library in ableton. One other limitation regarding loops, and polyphony etc... is tempo. I don't think there is any kind of tempo adjustment on this thing, but there is a "midi-out" so remember if you find yourself limited to the point of frustration, just run it into your computer and trigger stuff from your DAW. I just plan to load up the SD card for basic triggering.

Okay, update. Received mine today. I immediately went to loading samples via SD card. Hit a brick wall. Apparently I can't load samples that have effects on them such as ping pong delay or massive dub echos etc... Bermuda, what's up with this? I'm loading wavs directly from ableton (thru audacity), following all the format stuff mono, 41000, 16 bit etc...SD is formatted FAT32. But all I get is a click. Naked, unaffected wavs come through fine though. Any thoughts, input?

Not sure why some .wavs will play, and others won't. Best guess is that since the files need to be mono, and the fx are probably stereo, the program saved them as stereo. Make sure you save in a mono format.

Also make sure the sample rate is common: 44.1, 32, 22,050, 16, 11,025, or 8khz. and obviously the total samples can't exceed about 14mb, but I doubt those are the problem here.

One more thought, I had an SD card that wouldn't work in the unit. Don't know why, it read fine on both Mac & PC. Do your working sounds come from one card, and the non-working sounds come from another? Always use a known compatible card.

Bermuda

Thanks for the reply Bermuda... I'm definitely saving it in the correct format.

I've tried two different SD cards. The unaffected samples work on both of them, but the others don't.

Can you recommend an SD card that works for certain in this unit? I'd be happy to buy one more just to be sure.

Okay, just in case anyone ever runs into this problem again, I found out that converting the samples using the free program "switch" allows them to trigger as they should. Only took me a month of pulling out my hair to figure that out.

Okay, just in case anyone ever runs into this problem again, I found out that converting the samples using the free program "switch" allows them to trigger as they should. Only took me a month of pulling out my hair to figure that out.

Link??????????????????

Hi guys,
I've had Samplepad for several weeks now and overall it's great extension for my little set, but one thing is bugging me and it's audible background noise on line and phone outputs starting at 50% volume. It's as loud as hell (little less than sample itself) and while playing live, mixer levels are set at max (low power output?)
Did any of you gentleman had similar problems? Sending it back on guarantee would take several weeks or months in my country.

Hi all

I have a dep gig coming up in a few weeks where I need to trigger samples and run sequences. Unfortunately I sold my Roland spds a few years back (gutted) so looking to get something cheap and this sounds perfect. Anyone know if I use a sd card I can say run a 6 minute sample (or sequence) with this thing? I'm trying to avoid having to take my laptop interface and Ekit set up if poss?

Thanks

Stoney

6min is a bit long for the Samplepad's 14mb memory, although it depends on the sample itself. You can use a lower resolution to reduce the file size, but that will also affect the sound. The most you can expect at CD quality (16/44.1) is a little under 3 minutes. Remember also that it only plays mono files, although they're pannable for a stereo spread.

Bermuda

Ok thanks Bermuda

So the SD card is just for loading samples onto it? I can't say load a 1gig SD card into it and run sample from that (not the machine memory). Perhaps if that's the case I may need to look around for something else....

Cheers

Stoney

You can keep a large card in the slot, but each program will hold only up to 14mb at a time. Unfortunately, you can't switch presets and load new sounds fast enough to get a longer sound, there's a several second gap while the new sounds load and are playable.

Bermuda

Does This Sample Pad have any trigger parameter setting options for the kick trigger input? I was actually considering to buy the Alesis Perc Pad, but I couldn't find any info on the trigger settings on that one.. You know, things like sensitivity, gain, treshold, retrigger cancel...

Hi Drummers, I know this is the wroong place for this and I will post in the correct section too. I have the Alesis sample pad and I am selling it. I used it for 3 gigs. It's great I just have not been taking it with me so it's not getting any use. I will let it go for $150.00 with that you get the module, 8 gig card as well as a mount that I never installed if you want to mount it to a rack or stand etc. You pay shipping.

I never used the internal sounds, I downloaded movie quotes, TV, themes, 3 Stooges sound bites. I used it for comic relief.

Bottom line, I am too lazy to keep connecting up.

Still in original box.

PM me if interested

Back