Mount splashes on rack toms - BEST way to do it??

mabhz

I would like to respectfully ask you expert and pros for some help concerning two questions, and one is related to the other.

I have a Tama Superstar kit with 3 rack toms, which is still in its boxes, because I lack the space to assemble it, and I happen to love splashes, so I got 7.

When I finally put my kit together, with stands and whatnots, I want to have on splash placed right on top (or behind, depende on where you stand) of each of the rack toms. I have seem many drummers with that kind of kit disposal, but couldnt find a pic at hand (on google) to show you folks.

My point is: I need to find the most affordable, simple, practical and clumsyless solution to place three splashes behind or on top of each of my toms.

I did some massive gooogling and found some soltions, like putting DW puppy bones on a boom stand arm, placing three splashes along an horizontally placed arm.

I also found a "clamp" that attaches to the rim of the tom, but Im really concerned about that, because i have a feeling it must affect the free vibration of the shell.

SO, my questions are:

1. Is there some sort of "clamp" that attaches to the tom holder arm or the tom holder itself just like a cymbal stacker attaches to the top of a stand or the arm of a boom stand? Can someone PLEASE provide me a link to this hardwares solution?

2. In case the answer to question 1 is "NO", the tom clamp that attaches to the rim.... is it really a good solution? wont it affect vibration of the shell? Im concerned because i have seem it available at stores, but NEVER saw any picture of it on any drum kit I ever saw on magazines or online websites!!!

I really would appreciate any input!

Thanks!

I use 2 of these for my 2 splashes, 10" and 12", been over 12 years now and never had any trouble but I did clamp them to my RIMS mount instead of the hoop.

38721-01.jpg

264999_10150867249855001_1566503_n.jpg

There's as many ways to do this as there are grains of sand on the beach.

I'm not sure why the claw-style holders that attach directly to tom hoops are not more popular. It might be because they don't have angle tilters for the cymbals, and you're stuck with the angle you tilt your toms to.

Another way is to take a normal Gibraltar cymbal boom like this:
sc_4425b1.jpg
--

Slide a boom-mounted holder into the middle of the boom arm (like this):
SC_DCT.jpg

And finally, add a second tilter on the other end of the boom (this is the part):
sc_ct.jpg

You will end up with a boom cymbal holder with three different tilters on it, like the one below. Just clamp it onto a stand or insert it into a cymbal stand bottom.

Attachments

• 3-splash holder.jpg
    3-splash holder.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 586
I'm not sure why the claw-style holders that attach directly to tom hoops are not more popular. It might be because they don't have angle tilters for the cymbals, and you're stuck with the angle you tilt your toms to.

Yes, the claw style ones I use have angle tilters in them, if you look at the pic I posted you can see the wing nut for adjusting the angle.

Yes, the claw style ones I use have angle tilters in them, if you look at the pic I posted you can see the wing nut for adjusting the angle.

Ah, okay, I see them on yours. I've seen the LP ones that don't. Again, not sure why they are less popular.

Folks, thanks a lot for all the great help!!

I have seen these rack tom splash holders here in local shops, but I was very concerned about attaching them to the tom hoop or rim. I really dont understand the difference between "rim" and "hoop". Isnt it the same?

If I attach them to the hoop/rim, wont I affect the free vibration of the shell?

I also think the "L" curvature is a little bit too big. I wish there was a smaller version, which would put the splash closer to the tom head.

I still think someone should come up with a way to attach a splash to the tom holder arm, like a clip or something like that. Would sell like crazy!

I still think someone should come up with a way to attach a splash to the tom holder arm, like a clip or something like that. Would sell like crazy!

Gibraltar (among others) does.

Buy three of these, slip it onto the Tama L-arm either on top of or underneath your tom mount.
CMBRA.jpg

Shopping links here.

By the way, that's a really nice looking kit!! It seems to me, newbie, like an odd shape on shells... What brand is that kit???

I like to have my tambourine between the rack toms, but if I mount it to the top of the bass hoop (instead of the cowbell) it shakes on every bass drum note. So I use this clamp to mount it to the snare rim. It does not affect the sound of the snare drum and it's very solid. I think the model made for cymbals would get the splash closer to the drum head, like you mentioned.

Attachments

• 5550075428_frt_wlg_001.jpg
    5550075428_frt_wlg_001.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 780
Back