Is this the best kit for my money?

eric8

Hey guys. Newbie to the world of drumming here and looking to purchase my 1st kit. With any new "toy" in life, I've always been the type to overbuy and get something above my skill/talent level rather than underbuy and feel the need to upgrade later.

With that being said, I feel that a midrange/semi-pro kit is the best choice for me as an entry level drummer. I have decided that I want a maple kit, and have narrowed it down to 3 choices: Sonor 3007, Yamaha Tour Customs, and Mapex Meridian Maple.

I have found what I believe to be a screaming deal on the Sonors: $950 for a new 5 piece kit with hardware. This is 52% off of retail on a drum set that retails for $2,000. Out of all the 3 kits, this one is the biggest discount from MSRP that I have found.

My question is this: Is $950 for the Sonor getting me the most kit for my money? Or would I be better off spending $1200 for the Yamahas, for instance. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Sonor 3007's are the most expensive drums out of the 3 I'm looking at (if being the "most expensive" means anything in relation to quality).

Thanks for any input, or any other maple kit suggestions or closeout deals.

YMMV, but where I come from, half price for a Sonor kit is a good deal indeed. Out of the three, I'd roll with the Sonor or the Yammies......the price on the Sonor put it a clear cut favourite though.

Stupid question I'm sure, but do shell packs include legs for the floor tom and bass drum?

On another note, I'm considering an off the wall kit compared to what I was looking at: The Tama Superstar. I know it's all birch, but I really like the looks and hardware and die cast hoops that come standard on the kit. There are features in this kit I would be giving up over the Sonor though, mainly maple construction and 20 lugs on the bass drum. Thoughts?

Back