Band naming help!!!

freebirdgdw

Silver Member
In a pickle!

Some of you may have noticed a recent thread of mine about me joining a band named 'Thrones'. Sadly we've discovered the bassist from 'The Melvins' has a side project named 'Thrones' (its him singing badly and playing bass too loud over a backing track - not that I'm bitter). Aparently he's been using this name since the early to mid 90's. So we've decided to nip this in the bud early rather than facing a name change once we had got going properly. We considered trying the sneaky approach of being called 'Thrones (uk)' but we decided best not to risk it!

We only discovered this yesterday. However this weekend we have a phototshoot, weekend after next we're recording demos, and in 6 weeks we start a series of gigs (one of which supporting The Chariot and iwrestledabearonce, who are reputable hardcore/metal bands, at a 500 cap venue). So the name change needs to be soon, aka tomorrow, so we can start earning/tricking fans again!

We really like the idea of a one word name like 'Architects' which is why we had 'Thrones'. I'll be honest, at first I really wasn't mad on 'Thrones' but it was the best of a bad bunch at the time, and now I love it and I'm gutted to lose it! Now in last minute panic we have two to decide from, I'm not mad on either again, but they are growing on me fast!

Name 1 - 'PLAGUES'
I thought this was too heavy sounding at first, like really heavy death metal or something, and that it wouldn't represent our image/sound properly. As the bassist said though, we will give the name meaning through our music, rather than the other way round. This is really starting to grow on me now.

Name 2 - 'LEGIONS'
I picked this one out of the two at first but now I'm not so sure. I do think it sounds cool though and it is more along the lines of 'Thrones'. Again I think it sounds more like an 80's metal band but same as above applies.

Let me know what you think soon please (come on yanks, you'll probably be the only ones awake with the time difference!). We checked they are definitely free so thats safe.

Oh and by the way, if you steal one, I will hunt you down!!!

Freebird, using the trusty anagram finder, an anagram of Thrones is Hornets. Synonyms for Thrones are less promising - toilet, seat, latrine, lavatory, pot, potty ... :)

Given that you seem to enjoy medieval stuff, I looked at the Wikipedia entry for King Arthur. Lots of cool medieval words there:

Tintagel
Mordred
Camlann
Brittonum (or maybe Brittonium - British plutonium :)
Cambriae
Badonicus
Medraut
Hengest
etc etc

I wanted us to look through more names but because these were from the old list we had and have looked at and thought of for a while we're going to go for either Legions or Plagues.

I'm not into medieval stuff but it does look like it lol!

[QUOTE-freebirdq]I'm not into medieval stuff but it does look like it lol! [/QUOTE]

Thrones, Plagues and Legions ... you play metal and you're not into medieval stuff - yeah riiight :)

I may be doing you a disservice because Legions is more Roman. How about Gothic/historical? Working out your preferred general mood/theme matters if you want suggestions that you like.

Lots of goodies if you Wikipedia "Roman empire" too :)

Hey FB, you thought of Thrones UK, why not just "UK"???? Unbelievably, I did a quick search (Youtube, etc) and I can't find a band with that name. Doesn't mean to say there isn't one though. I think that's a huge name to have if you can bag it for yourselves. Might have right wing idiocy attached to it though. Perhaps nobody's gone for it because they automatically assume someone else has!

Aww most band names have already been taken. There is a pretty big Dublin hardcore band called Plagues.

Hey FB, you thought of Thrones UK, why not just "UK"???? Unbelievably, I did a quick search (Youtube, etc) and I can't find a band with that name. Doesn't mean to say there isn't one though.

LOL - you gotta be kidding, KIS baybee! What about perhaps the most impressive British supergroup since Blind Faith??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwDnNGskWUY

Bill Bruford, John Wetton, Eddie Jobson and Alan Holdsworth. Would have loved to have seen them live (but then again I'd pay to see Bill B drum on a desk with a couple of pens :)

freebirdw said:
now this i like lol!

Not fair! That's three words! :p

Aww most band names have already been taken. There is a pretty big Dublin hardcore band called Plagues.

Is there? We've done a search and couldn't find anyone. We found an old punk band called The Plague but thats it.

It doesn't matter though because we have settled on a new name (another on of our old ideas). It's

THIS IS TREASON

IMHO the single best place for band names is books. I mean good literature or poetry. Get a copy of The Great Gatsby and just open random pages. You'll find something soon enough. In fact, hs there ever been a band called The Great Gatsby?...

you can use exponential numbers such as: "Hundreds", "Thousands", "Millions", "Billions" etc...
or anything obscure...either singular or plural: ex..."Chair", "Chairs"..."Street", "Streets" etc
you can usually use a little More complex words by including "The" infront...example

"The Completion", "The Glow", "The Certificates", "The Delivery"....

One thought my band had (which I really liked) was that we took the last few letters from each of our last names and combined them to make a band name...Last names were; Menking, Sutherland, Hamilton, White.....and came up with "Kingland To Nite" we ended up not using it and went with "The Side Walk Saints"....But I liked the original one a little better....

Sorry I just read you post about setteling on a band name..."This Is Treason"....I like it...But do you really want to be known as "T.I.T"....."Hey guys wanna go see some Tit tonight?".......

Go for the party slogan:

War is Peace
Ignorance is Strength
Freedom is Slavery

and all that. Though I probably would've gone with "I am Legion" in your particular case.

You could morph 'Plague' into 'Plaque'. Maybe put a 'The' in front. (could be something you mount on the wall, the crud on your teeth, or the junk in your heart about to snuff you)

Ben Shepherd (Soundgarden) had this gem, which I'm pretty sure hasn't been used yet: "Dang"

That one still cracks me up all these years later!

Sorry I just read you post about setteling on a band name..."This Is Treason"....I like it...But do you really want to be known as "T.I.T"....."Hey guys wanna go see some Tit tonight?".......

lol - it took 55 minutes. Human inventiveness is a wonderful thing :)

Mike, Dang is good. Would The Simpsons' creators sue a band that called itself Doh!?

Yea we already knew about the TIT thing, but we like it because it's funny. Our fans will be called TIT-heads lol. We're serious about music, but as people we couldn't be more un-serious about stuff. We spend most practices just making fun of each other or going on nights out and doing pranks. You don't want to know what we did to the yank guitarist when he passed out drunk!

Think of Jimmy Eat World- JEW, or Lamb Of God- LOG. I'm sure there's more too lol!

...Though I probably would've gone with "I am Legion" in your particular case.

I actually really like I am Legion but too late :(

Back