DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:07 AM
Silver Member

Default Fellow Teachers - Student Not Hitting Hard Enough?

I have a few students who, no matter how many times I show them... Or how many times I tell them, just won't hit the drums. We've gone over various techniques, I've jammed with them, I've told them to visualize things, watch other drummers, watch me, blahblahblah, but they still hit the drums like... Well, wimps.

How can I encourage my students to play the drums for articulately?
Old 07-08-2011, 03:04 PM
Rebel

Default Re: Fellow Teachers - Student Not Hitting Hard Enough?

Time and Patience will tell...
Old 07-08-2011, 05:09 PM

I play very lightly most of the time, it's not necessarily bad but is definitely limiting. Try emphasizing full down strokes and a lot of accents and rebounds warmups.

I played this way from the beginning because I was in an apartment at the time, so all of my practice was driven with the idea to be quite. It was hard to open it up on command even knowing I was allowed and encouraged to do so. If this is the case push pad work for accents and heavier stuff.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:42 PM
Platinum Member

Get a guitar and an amp. Learn to play a song on it.

Then make them play along to your guitar playing. When they realize they can't hear themselves, most likely instinct will tell them to hit with a bit more force.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:21 PM
Rebel

By the way - You can try to use "drums" as an anger management therapy.

Ask them (few students), what are those things they "hate" in life. For every mention, they must HIT real hard the snare or floor tom.

...I bet those two shy little sheeps will roar as lions and tread on like elephants! ;*)

Last edited by Ian Williams; 07-08-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:31 PM
Platinum Member

Damn teachers are never happy!

Youre hitting too hard, lighten up!
Stop being a pussy, hit those things!

Your grip sucks, we need to fix it!
Stop worrying about your grip, youre overthinking it.

Let the stick bounce!
Stop relying on bounce, use your wrists!

You seem to have a natural moeller motion wih your right hand, stop and use wrists!
Stop using wrists and do moeller motions!
Old 07-08-2011, 11:02 PM
Platinum Member

There's really not much you can do to persuade a student to change their approach. Not all students love drumming, some are just keeping their parents happy by showing up for lessons, and being involved in something. The only thing you can do is find out why the student won't hit hard. Some are just shy, some have sensitive eardrums, some aren't allowed to hit hard while practicing at home, and some just don't give a *&%# (like most teenagers). On rare occasion, a student just likes softer music, and there's nothing you can do past showing them how to play a rimshot, and explaining that certain genres of music demand a certain approach, or else you'll lose the gig.

The students who love drumming enough will find a way to sound good in a band, and they will learn by watching others and listening to themselves in recordings. If he or she doesn't sound good, it's not a reflection on you as a teacher, so don't take it personally. The student owns the progress, not the teacher. The best you can do is inspire them!

To Fuo - *&$^%& students! Is it so hard to understand that a good player has not one, but MANY techniques, and can play quiet, loud, and everywhere in between? WTF?!
Old 07-09-2011, 02:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentcn View Post
There's really not much you can do to persuade a student to change their approach. Not all students love drumming, some are just keeping their parents happy by showing up for lessons, and being involved in something. The only thing you can do is find out why the student won't hit hard. Some are just shy, some have sensitive eardrums, some aren't allowed to hit hard while practicing at home, and some just don't give a *&%# (like most teenagers). On rare occasion, a student just likes softer music, and there's nothing you can do past showing them how to play a rimshot, and explaining that certain genres of music demand a certain approach, or else you'll lose the gig.

The students who love drumming enough will find a way to sound good in a band, and they will learn by watching others and listening to themselves in recordings. If he or she doesn't sound good, it's not a reflection on you as a teacher, so don't take it personally. The student owns the progress, not the teacher. The best you can
To Fuo - *&$^%& students! Is it so hard to understand that a good player has not one, but MANY techniques, and can play quiet, loud, and everywhere in between? WTF?!
Ooops. My post was a joke. Forgot the :) at the end to make that more obvious.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:46 AM
Platinum Member

Some people are very sensitive to loud noise. Perhaps earplugs would help?
Old 07-09-2011, 03:55 AM
Platinum Member

Do the students want to play louder?
Old 07-09-2011, 07:47 AM
Silver Member

I do play guitar with them! We're doing Cut The Curtains by Billy Talent, which is a pretty balls-to-the-wall rock song. I think they lack the confidence to play harder, but even so. I'll try what you guys are saying!
Old 07-10-2011, 09:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuo View Post
Ooops. My post was a joke. Forgot the :) at the end to make that more obvious.
I got that you were joking. I was just being equally sarcastic (I thought).
Old 07-11-2011, 05:47 AM
Silver Member

Technique?

Confidence?

Enthusiasm?

Have these students played with any other musicians?

Have these students played with any other musicians who use amplified instruments?

...those are the kind of questions I would ponder.

I remember a drum teacher who bugged me into playing loud. He eventually made me do rimshots on habit (which is quite useful for simple backbeat playing). My first lesson with him was funny - showing me how to hit a strong backbeat on the snare, insisting that every strike should be freakin loud.

I think it comes with experience playing with other musicians that you learn about dynamics and tempo and a whole lot of small lessons that you cannot learn very well from a drum lesson.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:13 AM
Silver Member

True enough! I try to jam with my students as much as possible; playing guitar with my student while he/she drums is a regular part of the lesson. I find that a lot of the younger students are very timid or (on the flip side) way too loud.

We also trade 2s, 4s, and 8s frequently, and I try and have the students match my volume. It's worked in some cases, other times it just frustrates the students, so I try and gauge with which students that method works with.

I encourage all of my students to form or join bands as well, as I found that playing in a band increased my desire to learn and my overall musicality exponentially. Nothing better than playing with real people, although jamming to CDs and iPods can be fun, too!

I also have a recording interface set up, and once a month I'll record my students playing in a lesson to show them how they improve. That way, the students can also hear how dynamically they play.

Anyways! It's just some students... I don't know what it is. Maybe it's just the personality type, in which case, is this an issue that I'd even be able to remedy? I'm still relatively new to teaching, so I'm still learning! I just try and remember how I learned how to play and apply that to them :)
Old 09-08-2011, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovemaster_flex View Post
True enough! I try to jam with my students as much as possible; playing guitar with my student while he/she drums is a regular part of the lesson. I find that a lot of the younger students are very timid or (on the flip side) way too loud.
:)

Wow. Your classroom sounds awesome! How do you go about finding teacher jobs like the one that you have? I have been looking into changing some things in my life and this definitely sounds like a great career that you have going for you. Hope to hear from you soon!!!

Lyndsay
Old 09-08-2011, 04:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I have a few students who, no matter how many times I show them... Or how many times I tell them, just won't hit the drums. We've gone over various techniques, I've jammed with them, I've told them to visualize things, watch other drummers, watch me, blahblahblah, but they still hit the drums like... Well, wimps.

Just teach them how to play Jazz and the problem will solve itself! :)
Old 09-08-2011, 05:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuo View Post
Damn teachers are never happy!

Youre hitting too hard, lighten up!
Stop being a pussy, hit those things!

Your grip sucks, we need to fix it!
Stop worrying about your grip, youre overthinking it.

Let the stick bounce!
Stop relying on bounce, use your wrists!

You seem to have a natural moeller motion wih your right hand, stop and use wrists!
Stop using wrists and do moeller motions!
LOL. That's good stuff.

How about this classic from the band:

"You're not listening to us enough, we need more accents and fills"...
"Can you stop listening and comping us so much? Just lay it down already!"
Old 09-08-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:

I'm not a teacher (though I've had plenty of lessons from very good ones) but the answer to this seems obvious to me. Stop telling them to 'watch' and tell them to 'listen'.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:43 PM

Just have them practice on their own. I think the more they practice the more confident they will be and will play louder and get into the song. Also, make sure that they appreciate the song and are familiar with it.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:48 AM
wy yung

I recomend using Gary Chaffee's "Pattern" series of books to teach all dynamic levels. Try Rhythm and meter
patterns.

Aside from that, I let student "go crazy" and just bash when they are shy. This helps loosen them up.

Last edited by wy yung; 11-13-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:14 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
Just teach them how to play Jazz and the problem will solve itself! :)
Good one bobda! That certainly would work.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:23 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Are you playing guitar to loud that they can't hear themselves or are intimidated.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
Get a guitar and an amp. Learn to play a song on it.

Then make them play along to your guitar playing. When they realize they can't hear themselves, most likely instinct will tell them to hit with a bit more force.
That is a good approach. Nothing like playing with others to make you see yourself in new ways.

I have been playing since 1983 and I have never, ever heard anyone complaining about a drummer playing too softly, but I have often heard the opposite. So the OP shouldn't view soft playing as a bad thing necessarily.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:23 PM

yep, that's what this world needs more of: drummers that pound the living daylights out of their drums and can only play in stadium bands. I believe that the situation is changing out there. Bands are playing in smaller and smaller venues and the ability to play softly will come in handy. I asked a name drummer once, "Don't people complain that you play so lightly?" he responded, "If they want more volume they can mike me."

I'm proud that my rock band can kick ass in your living room, them move to a concert stage. It's not the volume, it's the intensity of the groove that makes people move.

I am so sick of the HIT IT HARDER crowd....geeze. There's more than one way to hit the drums!
Old 12-28-2011, 11:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
That is a good approach. Nothing like playing with others to make you see yourself in new ways.

I have been playing since 1983 and I have never, ever heard anyone complaining about a drummer playing too softly, but I have often heard the opposite. So the OP shouldn't view soft playing as a bad thing necessarily.
Yep, great answer. Learning how to play in a loud band is the best way to measure your limits. I thought I could hit pretty hard until this new rock band came together for me, last year.

Now I realize that you have to learn to hit hard if you intend to do it w/o hurting yourself, while still doing justice to the band. It's not as easy as one might think.

The trick is to encourage a full-range of dynamics, during practice. Don't just teach them how to hit hard, teach them how to control the sticks and play accurately and consistently, at all levels.