DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:17 AM
wy yung

Default Re: What are your drumming goals for this year?

Insecurity is just a word. You need to understand where I came from. I had no formal education or parental guidance Not even an authority figure, like the head of an orphanage. I raised myself out in the bush working as a hunter, fisherman and jackaroo. Always looking longingly at a scholastic education. I litterally viwewed that life as superior. Personal worth did not come into it.
Naturally I felt I had missed out. Not being arrogant as a boy, it felt right that I was breaking down that house with a crowbar.

Then later, as a young martial artist, I learned that the elders knew better and were worthy of respect. This idea became an obvious sham later. But by now years had passed. And anyway, I saw no defect in recognising ability in others. Recognising ability in myself seemed, I do not know, conceited? Who am I, after all? I have no hit records to my names. My paradiddle is fine though. But we do not get hired for our paradiddles.

I hate hearing myself played back anyway. Earl Palmer is a better listen. :-)
Old 02-10-2013, 10:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wy yung View Post
Insecurity is just a word. You need to understand where I came from.
I know your background well, & posted with that in mind. That said, my comment was more generally directed. The fact that you're happy in your shell is huge. Many so called "successful" players can't truthfully say that.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:24 AM
wy yung

KIS, mate as I get older I wonder about things. My mother tried to strangle me. I would be dead had I not fought her off. I then worked for my keep for people in the Australian outback. There was an article in a Sydney newspaper about sex slaves, and as I read it, I recognised it. As a child I worked as a slave for a number of people. I was beaten, ignored and cast aside. From that I became a professional musician in the 80's. That lasted until I broke my back in the 90's. I then crawled my way back and became a professional drummer again in the 2000s. I kind of think I did ok. Whqt do you think?
Old 02-10-2013, 10:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
KIS, mate as I get older I wonder about things. My mother tried to strangle me. I would be dead had I not fought her off. I then worked for my keep for people in the Australian outback. There was an article in a Sydney newspaper about sex slaves, and as I read it, I recognised it. As a child I worked as a slave for a number of people. I was beaten, ignored and cast aside. From that I became a professional musician in the 80's. That lasted until I broke my back in the 90's. I then crawled my way back and became a professional drummer again in the 2000s. I kind of think I did ok. Whqt do you think?
A bit more than ok!!!!!!! As a child brought up in an orphanage in his early years, & as someone who's faced life threatening health issues, I have a miniscule appreciation of your journey, but there's no way I've endured anything like the hardship you've faced. Personally, I think your journey is nothing short of legendary. Someone should do a book/film - seriously.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:32 AM

My goals for this year are -

1)Trying to achieve 4 way coordination as much as i can .
2)Work on rudiments,speed,accuracy and clean playing.
3)A lot of stick tricks.
4)Mastering foot technique.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:33 AM
wy yung

I read your next post and appreciate it. I have as my goal, the happiness of my students. I love them. I love people. They can be terrible. Despots, users, you name it. But also there is that incredible child who after having eye surgery, playing drums is his solace.

I never married. Have had three steady girlfriends. Have given up relationships as a bad idea. I love my practice pad. It may seem sad to some, but I love my pads. I love the feel in my hands as the sticks bounce. Such a wonderful thing. And still today I hear people deride the pad and the book Stick control. For myself, Stick control has proved a wonderful solace and friend. My pad is my lover. In this small world I exist. But it benefits my students that I know this.

And next thursday I see Ringo. I have no ex wife to support. A lovely drum collection.

Ha ha, envious, suckers????!!! ;-)
Old 02-10-2013, 10:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Ha ha, envious, suckers????!!! ;-)
No, the price was too high :(
Old 02-10-2013, 10:53 AM
wy yung

Shit, this thread is not about me.

KIS. Your wonderful personality and emphatic nature allways shines through and I respect you greatly.

Me? I do my best. But I am not alone. Many people have troubles. Was I sexually assaulted while working on a farm and had to walk 80 miles to a bus stop? , aged 11 Yes. But I have met many others who were treated worse. Ask any Catholic alter boy.

That is unfair.

For the record, I have had two book offers and a screenplay. I turned them all down. Here at DW, this is all I am prepared to give.

Now lets get back to drum practice!
Old 02-10-2013, 11:16 AM
wy yung

Wow. I can no longer post here guys. You know me too well. And not in a good way. I will update my gear thread for those interested. There is so much more to vome. Perhaps 60 snares at least. Any questions can be directed via PM. I will respond.
To beginners, beware of charlatans who profess to be knowledgeable on drumming but cannot spell padabiddle.

My tthanks to Bernard, ever the gentleman, dogbreath (I still think of your brother) and KIS, who has my email.

Cheerio and happy drumming. :-)

And Swis Matthias. Lovely human.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:59 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Wow. I can no longer post here guys. You know me too well. And not in a good way. I will update my gear thread for those interested. There is so much more to vome. Perhaps 60 snares at least. Any questions can be directed via PM. I will respond.
To beginners, beware of charlatans who profess to be knowledgeable on drumming but cannot spell padabiddle.

My tthanks to Bernard, ever the gentleman, dogbreath (I still think of your brother) and KIS, who has my email.

Cheerio and happy drumming. :-)

And Swis Matthias. Lovely human.
Then delete your posts in this thread (I'll delete mine), & carry on posting here for the benefit of many. Just because you've let a bit more about you out there than you think advisable, doesn't mean you have to retract into your cave. Most here know more about me & how I feel than some members of my family. So what!