Modifying a Wood Beater

Migaluch

Okay so my bass pedal is a single chain Pearl pedal, sturdy and acceptable, but was sold with a Danmar wooden beater. I thought it was neat at first, but i just dont think it is giving me the sound i want. Is there a way i could modify it by wrapping it in any way because i don't want to have to dish out money just to get a new beater. Also, how much could i sell a wooden beater for, if i wanted to?

Alright. I was hoping there would be some people that have done this, but i guess its not a big deal. That 4 way beater looks cool though, so i will check that out.

If the wood beater is to bright or attacky or clicky,you could try a couple of things,first go to a drugstore and get some moleskin patches,they are usually in the foot/section along with the dr sholls/corn remedies,should only cost 2 or three bucks it has a glued backing and you can easily cut it into the shape length you need,you can use it as a bass drum patch,and it will mellow /round off the tone,if you have falam patch already on there,those are kind of slappy anyway,I use the evans patch,it is warmer to my ears,but if you want to you can also try attaching the moleskin to the wooden beater,if the beater head is real slick and the mole skin is slipping you can try roughing up the beater with a low grit sandpaper.This should give you a closer approximation of a felt beater.

I second the Dr. Scholl's approach. I use those all the time. $2.99 gets you two patches big enough to cut out several beater patches. It sticks to the head good, and you can get it off without leaving a mess. Put one on your drum and continue with your Danmar, you may be pleasantly surprised!

Too bad it doesn't come in colors, though.

Back