What Sticks to choose?

Rabbit Foot

Hey y'all, my question is simple, I'm looking to get some drum sticks that will give me the biggest sound possible.(size and weight aren't an issue) I'm new when it comes to buying any drum related gear, so id appreciate it if i could get a basic tutorial on sticks as well.

I'd like to also know what are some good brand names to go after and what sticks you play for your style of music.

Thanks for any and all responses.

Just experiment and find what works and is comfortable for you. There is no best. When I started (not long ago) I got a pair of Vic Firth 5As for no good reason; they seemed to be the "standard" drum stick. They were OK, but I wanted to try other things so then i tried 5Bs (a little thicker/heavier). They were fine too, but after trying those thought that something in between would be perfect. I looked on Vic Firth's website and saw they had 55As which are exactly in between 5A and 5B. So that's what I use. I'm not saying to use these, just that that's how *I* arrived at MY decision.

This is a discussion very close to my heart...........................I use Regal Tip Alex Van Halen sticks. They are LONGER than normal and heavier as well. If you try these first you can narrow it down to what you really need. (I love Vic Virth sticks!!!)

Just experiment and find what works and is comfortable for you. There is no best. When I started (not long ago) I got a pair of Vic Firth 5As for no good reason; they seemed to be the "standard" drum stick. They were OK, but I wanted to try other things so then i tried 5Bs (a little thicker/heavier). They were fine too, but after trying those thought that something in between would be perfect. I looked on Vic Firth's website and saw they had 55As which are exactly in between 5A and 5B. So that's what I use. I'm not saying to use these, just that that's how *I* arrived at MY decision.

I have been experimenting a little, ( i cant afford to buy every type of stick out there) ive got 5a and 7a sticks. Atm i want to try BIGGER sticks and heavier and harder, what do you suggest? Oh and what kind of head would make it make a so called bigger sound? Thnx for your help.

Also would maple help me get that BIG heavy sound? what are the pros and cons of maple?

Whereas discussions about heads, sticks, pedals and such can arrive at some sort of consensus, drumsticks are far more individual. If 100 different people answered this thread, you'd probably find somewhere around 80-90 different drumsticks recommended.

You need to try out drumsticks. All kinds, makes, sizes, and models. And yes, size and weight very much do matter, unless you want hurting arms or broken sticks.

This is a discussion very close to my heart...........................I use Regal Tip Alex Van Halen sticks. They are LONGER than normal and heavier as well. If you try these first you can narrow it down to what you really need. (I love Vic Virth sticks!!!)

I will definitely look into these, thanks for putting me on a right track. Btw how much are these's? I cant afford 35dollar sticks lol.( i saw someone payed that much for a pair on this site)

Bigger sound?

Get marching snare sticks.

But really, if you want that kind of sound, the sticks should be hickory, and probably have a rounder tip, shorter taper.

I have been experimenting a little, ( i cant afford to buy every type of stick out there) ive got 5a and 7a sticks. Atm i want to try BIGGER sticks and heavier and harder, what do you suggest? Oh and what kind of head would make it make a so called bigger sound? Thnx for your help.

Also would maple help me get that BIG heavy sound? what are the pros and cons of maple?

No need to buy them mate. Wander into a drum store, grab a heap of different sticks, stand at the pad (most stores will keep a few pads near the sticks, for this exact purpose) and start playing. What do you like? What don't you like? Trying them for yourself is the best way.

If you're after bigger and heavier, then look at 5B's, 2B's or 3A's....they're all reasonably heavy and chunky.

Maple sticks tend to be lighter than the equivalent stick made out of hickory, but they are also very durable, I've found.

Bigger sound?

Get marching snare sticks.

But really, if you want that kind of sound, the sticks should be hickory, and probably have a rounder tip, shorter taper.

If you want to change your heads every day and be slow as all hell on the set, get marching sticks :D

Ok so i just came back from the music store, I played every stick they had : ). Ive decided to get vic firth American Classic 5B, Every month or so i will move up in size till i get to CM sticks ( HUGE Imo ). Jumping from 7a and 5a to a 2b + would be to detrimental to my skill level atm. I do love the feel of HUGE sticks : ) Thanks for the direction y'all. Much appreciated.

I'm now moving on to new heads,(my heads are like 20yrs old from the original owner, Huge dents and the oil in between the 2 plys are drying up it seems.) Clueless as usual.

Since you're new to all of this, you probably won't get the joke, but I recall Buddy Rich's very first interview in the very first issue of Modern Drummer and when asked what kind of sticks he uses, replied: "I use a medium weight stick that feels good in my hands".

Another good one in the same interview when they asked what he does to warm up before a show; "I take my hands out of my pockets".

Only Buddy could say stuff like that and get away with it!

But I would recommend going down to your favorite shop and trying sticks. If you were in a school band program, to this day, the kids are started on 2B sticks. Because they're a little fatter than normal, but not marching band big. It's like when you used fat pencils in grade school, easier to control. As your technique gets better, you start to get sticksthat will sound good for what you want. Obviously, 2B's aren't really good for sensitive playing because of their size and their effect on the equipment, so sometimes we progress to a slightly smaller size, like the 5A (I use these to this day). But there are so many different models out there, you'll have to try them all if you can.

Rabbit foot, It sounds like you have a very good grip on the size and wieght of the sticks that you need but make shure you check out all of the different tips that are availible too.
I like a good clear cymbal sound with a definate ping sound too so I would go with nylon tips. Also try the different tip shapes like round,barrel,tear drop,egg,acorn...etc.

Here you go. I think these will work. Pro Mark all the way.

-r

Attachments

• 533539.jpg
    533539.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 145
Rabbit foot, It sounds like you have a very good grip on the size and wieght of the sticks that you need but make shure you check out all of the different tips that are availible too.
I like a good clear cymbal sound with a definate ping sound too so I would go with nylon tips. Also try the different tip shapes like round,barrel,tear drop,egg,acorn...etc.

Yeah i'm just starting to learn about tips, Ive stuck with acorn and nylon for ever.

Since you're new to all of this, you probably won't get the joke, but I recall Buddy Rich's very first interview in the very first issue of Modern Drummer and when asked what kind of sticks he uses, replied: "I use a medium weight stick that feels good in my hands".

Another good one in the same interview when they asked what he does to warm up before a show; "I take my hands out of my pockets".

Only Buddy could say stuff like that and get away with it!

But I would recommend going down to your favorite shop and trying sticks. If you were in a school band program, to this day, the kids are started on 2B sticks. Because they're a little fatter than normal, but not marching band big. It's like when you used fat pencils in grade school, easier to control. As your technique gets better, you start to get sticksthat will sound good for what you want. Obviously, 2B's aren't really good for sensitive playing because of their size and their effect on the equipment, so sometimes we progress to a slightly smaller size, like the 5A (I use these to this day). But there are so many different models out there, you'll have to try them all if you can.

lol i get it. You seem to have been around the block a few times, thanks for the input and general drum knowledge.

Back