Another Guitar Center bad experience...

I'm 50, so I can be anal sometimes! lol Oh the hazy is a fine head. You are corect, sir!

I was just thinking it may be cool to have both heads transparent is all and was getting frustrated with the guy for arguing. I must be old school because every job I've had I've been taught "the customer is always right".

Pretty soon I'm registering for that Senior Citizen's Discount! Haha!

It's better to be anal retentive than anal expulsive, I always say!

Just some dumb kid who didn't know how to handle something like this. Next time, ask to speak with a manager. In a better world, you wouldn't have to do this, but retail and people being what they are, you will often have imperfect situations. If it happens all the time, I'd stay away from a company, but I am willing to cut companies some slack every now and then.

I have a Remo Ambassador snare head. The box is labeled: 14", "Hazy" Ambassador, SA-0114-00. The head itself is stamped with: "Ambassador Snare". The head is a clear head, not translucent. In other words, I can see through the head very well. This snare head would compliment a clear batter head.

i didn't even know there was a difference between a "hazy" snare side and a "snare side" head.... i thought they were all the same except for some reason you guys here on the forums actually call one "hazy snare side"....

There actually is no difference. I usually use both definitions to better convey what they are and where they are used, especially to those confused with the selection of drum heads. Both Remo and Evans use the words Hazy as a descriptive term for the snare drums resonant heads. Both Evans and Remo use the terms "snare side" as the main title to their Hazy selection of heads.

Dennis

From Remo site:

http://www.remo.com/portal/products/3/8/49/151/cl_ambassador.html

"The Clear Ambassador® heads are also available in 3 mil Snare Side Heads for a warm accentuated snare response. Ambassador Snare Side Heads are known as the standard of the industry.

The Hazy Ambassador® heads are medium-weight heads made with a single-ply 3-mil Mylar® film to produce an open, bright, and resonant sound with plenty of attack. Hazy Ambassador® heads accentuate snare drum response and give a classic look to snare drums."

I have been using CLEAR Ambassador snare heads... like forever.

From Remo site:

http://www.remo.com/portal/products/3/8/49/151/cl_ambassador.html

"The Clear Ambassador® heads are also available in 3 mil Snare Side Heads for a warm accentuated snare response. Ambassador Snare Side Heads are known as the standard of the industry.

The Hazy Ambassador® heads are medium-weight heads made with a single-ply 3-mil Mylar® film to produce an open, bright, and resonant sound with plenty of attack. Hazy Ambassador® heads accentuate snare drum response and give a classic look to snare drums."

I have been using CLEAR Ambassador snare heads... like forever.

I think you're just trying too hard to read detail out of marketing fluff text on a web page. You are quoting text from the clear ambassador product page. The clear ambassador is a 10 mil head. The clear ambassador also comes in a snare-side variant. The snare-side variant is 3 mil thick and is called a hazy ambassador.

If you're sure that Remo makes two different types of standard drumset snare-side ambassador heads, please post the part numbers. All that we've really figured out in this thread is that Remo has randomly has used both clear and foggy mylar in snare-side ambassador heads at different times.

Maybe you're right. I always thought they were two different products. I know Evans uses the word "hazy" on their heads so maybe that caused some confusion.

I think you're just trying too hard to read detail out of marketing fluff text on a web page. You are quoting text from the clear ambassador product page. The clear ambassador is a 10 mil head. The clear ambassador also comes in a snare-side variant. The snare-side variant is 3 mil thick and is called a hazy ambassador.

If you're sure that Remo makes two different types of standard drumset snare-side ambassador heads, please post the part numbers. All that we've really figured out in this thread is that Remo has randomly has used both clear and foggy mylar in snare-side ambassador heads at different times.

This statement is dead on. The ambassador snare side, whether it's clear or hazy, is still a single ply 3 mil film, equivalent to the evans hazy 300. And the same goes for the diplomat snare side, which is 2 mil, and equivalent to evans hazy 200. But other than the cosmetics of the heads, they all work the same.

From Evans:

Description
Evans™ snare side clear 300 heads are the best selling series of Evans™ snare side heads and feature a single ply of 3mil film.

On the drum head is stamped Evans Snare Side Hazy, but still called clear.

The SA-0314-TD is a CLEAR Ambassador snare side head. As in crystal clear film.

Edit: should have scrolled own more....others posted the model numbers, sorry. The box say's NO COLLAR. I have 2 sitting on my shelf.

I've heard a lot about how people that work at guitar center are borderline retarded, but I have honestly never had that kind of experience. The GC closest to me is awesome. All the guys there are very knowledgeable, helpful, and just all around cool guys. Maybe it's one in a million. And no, I don't work for GC lol.

I've heard a lot about how people that work at guitar center are borderline retarded, but I have honestly never had that kind of experience. The GC closest to me is awesome. All the guys there are very knowledgeable, helpful, and just all around cool guys. Maybe it's one in a million. And no, I don't work for GC lol.

Same, the Guitar Center in Grand Chute, Wisconsin has 2 guys that work in the drum department, and bith a very knowledgeable, and play assorted styles of music (reggae, hand drums, Indie, and Death Metal). But a good piece of advice is go to Guitar Center knowing exactly what you want, and inspect everything the kid behind the counter grabs. If you do this, your trips to GC will always be pleasant.

Evans Hazy snare side (resonant) heads are clear. I don't know why they're called hazy, maybe they started out as such. I'm not entirely sure about Remo but I think you can get snare resos in clear and hazy.

Just some dumb kid who didn't know how to handle something like this. Next time, ask to speak with a manager. In a better world, you wouldn't have to do this, but retail and people being what they are, you will often have imperfect situations. If it happens all the time, I'd stay away from a company, but I am willing to cut companies some slack every now and then.

True, in retail chains, it's a bit much to expect the salespeople to be overly-dedicated to customer service, or the products they sell. Sometimes it happens, and it's great when it does, and those are the kind of stores I cheerfully give my business to. But GC has had recurring problems with people who are pretty clueless about the stuff they sell, and that's not a good thing for those of us who know what we want, but may need a little more info.

This is where the independent drum shops and music stores shine, and why so many of us talk about their value. The employees typically include the owner and members of their family, so they are there to stay and building a relationship is easy. Other hired help normally have background in what they sell, so they're more helpful as well. The problem is, shops like that are disappearing due to the economy (and not because they can't compete with the chains and online stores... business has been just as bad for them, too.)

Sure there are exceptions in both kinds of operations, but the service and knowledge in small shops is more prevalent than in the box stores, or with an online customer service rep.

That said, I do business with GC, but on my terms. That is, I go in looking only for something I know they carry, and that I don't need to have any discussion about. It's been a long time since I learned anything new from a person behind the counter there, yet I find myself educating their employees from time to time. Maybe I should start collecting a salary!

Bermuda

To my best recollection, there is only one type of standard snare side head, the hazy, in the three weights as mentioned by audiotech. There are some specialty/marching snare side heads, IIRC, but that's not really what we're talking about in this thread.

I believe most companies use the CLEAR SNARE RESO.. from what I remember. Here it is from Remo..

The Clear Ambassador® heads are also available in 3 mil Snare Side Heads for a warm accentuated snare response. Ambassador Snare Side Heads are known as the standard of the industry.

The Hazy Ambassador® heads are medium-weight heads made with a single-ply 3-mil Mylar® film to produce an open, bright, and resonant sound with plenty of attack. Hazy Ambassador® heads accentuate snare drum response and give a classic look to snare drums.

Welcome to the thread. You quoted Remo's product page for the 10mil thick clear Ambassador drumhead. Remo's traditional naming jargon equates "Diplomat" to "thin", "Ambassador" to "medium", and "Emperor" to "heavy". As your post indicates, Remo refers to their medium-weight snare-side head as the Hazy Ambasador. As anecdotal experience in the thread says, "Hazy" really has nothing to do with whether Remo uses transparent or translucent Mylar, as they apparently alternate at their whim. "Hazy Ambassador" is the phrase Remo uses to distinguish the head used as a snare reso with the head commonly used on drum batters, the Clear Ambassador.

If you believe otherwise, please correct me by posting the Remo part numbers for distinct "hazy" and "clear" 3-mil thick, standard collar, snare-side drum heads.

The head which Karl refers to is part of Remo's marching catalog, not their drum set catalog, is typically a special-order or specialty-retailer item, and has been mentioned in the thread previously.

The Clear Ambassador® heads are also available in 3 mil Snare Side Heads for a warm accentuated snare response. Ambassador Snare Side Heads are known as the standard of the industry.

The Hazy Ambassador® heads are medium-weight heads made with a single-ply 3-mil Mylar® film to produce an open, bright, and resonant sound with plenty of attack. Hazy Ambassador® heads accentuate snare drum response and give a classic look to snare drums.

I think these are the models.. All snare side ambassador, 3 mil.

Clear : SA-0314-00

Hazy : SA-0114-00

Marching : SA-0314-TD

Check this out. I play in my church's p and w band.

I finally give up, realizing I'm taling to a complete dumbshit,

The look I got was a "dear in the headlights", dumbass confused, pale, expressionless, 1 chromosome missing look.

I was having a really good day until I ran into this twerp.

Yes this thread is old and revived today....and a hazy topic...but for a person who goes to church or plays in church band, or anybody, is this not pretty harsh language on a kid who is working minimum wage because its a job? And ya unfortunately some people only got one chromosome missing at the start of life.

Everybody starts somewhere, even all the old farts.

A better drum shop is where you go if you want experts.

Back