Rogers Drum Talk video discussing some of the Swivomatic era gear

I watched the whole video. Great fun watching, as I knew very little about Rogers Drums. I wish modern hardware was as simplistic and effective as Rogers. Thank you for sharing.

Great job on the video. Nice kits, both of them.​

Man that's an awesome video-and I note some of your fine fedora's in background;) That hardware was beautifully designed (and small and unobtrusive)-the ball and socket all metal was made to last forever. I note kits are being made with smaller shells than heads again-Rogers a"head' of their time. Those are beautiful kits. The swingomatic era! So Rogers still makes snares don't they? Are they like the original?

Man that's an awesome video-and I note some of your fine fedora's in background;) That hardware was beautifully designed (and small and unobtrusive)-the ball and socket all metal was made to last forever. I note kits are being made with smaller shells than heads again-Rogers a"head' of their time. Those are beautiful kits. The swingomatic era! So Rogers still makes snares don't they? Are they like the original?

the new Dynasonic snares that launched in 2017 are absolutely beautiful and very very close to the originals

wonderful instruments

Ah so the shells are maple and birch-rather than poplar-wow that's a revelation. Interesting Mapex is doing that now. That Roger's snare really intrigues me. I've never understood that rail system-it seems counter intuitive it would be more sensitive-and seems it would buzz a lot, or choke it-but obviously not. Maybe you can do a video just on the snare? It's got lots of dofangles to adjust-that's my scientific word for I haven't a clue. Checked out their site-snares and kick pedals. Two snares-what's the difference?

Excellent...Are the Rogers badges, on the wooden drums, nailed or pinned on? What I saw didn't look like screw heads. Thanks.

Ah so the shells are maple and birch-rather than poplar-wow that's a revelation. Interesting Mapex is doing that now. That Roger's snare really intrigues me. I've never understood that rail system-it seems counter intuitive it would be more sensitive-and seems it would buzz a lot, or choke it-but obviously not. Maybe you can do a video just on the snare? It's got lots of dofangles to adjust-that's my scientific word for I haven't a clue. Checked out their site-snares and kick pedals. Two snares-what's the difference?

the Joe Thompson Dynasonic system is absolutely brilliant

that frame allows the wires to remain completely flat and just kiss the bottom head ... it assures that there is equal sensitivity across the entire drum

there truly is nothing out there anything like a Dynasonic snare drum

and yes the new ones are no exception

there is a guy in Texas named Jeff Burke who is a Dynasonic master ... I've spoken to him about making a video on them

Great video, very informative!
I know shamefully little about Rogers...but more now :)

I am really, finally, thinking of picking up my first Dynasonic. A new one.

Thanks Anthony!

That was really cool. I never knew it was a ball and socket tom mount. I've never gotten close enough to a Rogers set. Now I feel like I have. Rogers and Slingerlands...I have no experience with them whatsoever. Thanks Tony, nice music in the background too.

the Joe Thompson Dynasonic system is absolutely brilliant

that frame allows the wires to remain completely flat and just kiss the bottom head ... it assures that there is equal sensitivity across the entire drum

there truly is nothing out there anything like a Dynasonic snare drum

and yes the new ones are no exception

there is a guy in Texas named Jeff Burke who is a Dynasonic master ... I've spoken to him about making a video on them

A video would be awesome! But I appreciate that takes time and effort too.
So you got me investigating and listening and these are fantastic snares-interesting no snare beds. I like the dampening device too. The rail system is really innovative and interesting-I never really thought about how beds in the snare and how the snare wires are torqued on the ends can affect it. So Rogers and Puresound are the only companies that make the snare wires to fit the rail? Looks like the Rogers are all chrome plated steel??-so no brass wires (For conventional snares I always thought brass wires sounded crisp). But apparently the dynasonic is really a different beast altogether (from what I read of tuning heads and snares wires). The Puresound ones look different so I'm hesitant about how they would work?
You have a metal dynasonic have you played a wood one? Apparently all the new Rogers are Maple-poplar (I think?) so they must not make the metal one now? I really like metal snares-but I'm impressed with the new Roger's videos. I'd gravitate towards a "vintage snare" but it reminds me I"m old too but not as well built or innovative LOL. Those vintage Rogers you have look brand new-oh to be so lucky.

A video would be awesome! But I appreciate that takes time and effort too.
So you got me investigating and listening and these are fantastic snares-interesting no snare beds. I like the dampening device too. The rail system is really innovative and interesting-I never really thought about how beds in the snare and how the snare wires are torqued on the ends can affect it. So Rogers and Puresound are the only companies that make the snare wires to fit the rail? Looks like the Rogers are all chrome plated steel??-so no brass wires (For conventional snares I always thought brass wires sounded crisp). But apparently the dynasonic is really a different beast altogether (from what I read of tuning heads and snares wires). The Puresound ones look different so I'm hesitant about how they would work?
You have a metal dynasonic have you played a wood one? Apparently all the new Rogers are Maple-poplar (I think?) so they must not make the metal one now? I really like metal snares-but I'm impressed with the new Roger's videos. I'd gravitate towards a "vintage snare" but it reminds me I"m old too but not as well built or innovative LOL. Those vintage Rogers you have look brand new-oh to be so lucky.

I've only played a modern wood one

the vintage wood Dynasonics are like hens teeth

That was really cool. I never knew it was a ball and socket tom mount. I've never gotten close enough to a Rogers set. Now I feel like I have. Rogers and Slingerlands...I have no experience with them whatsoever. Thanks Tony, nice music in the background too.

glad you enjoyed it uncle L ... makes me feel good

Last edited:
I.ve enjoyed Rogers Drums for years now but for those who didn't you did good.

Nice easy going video. Tony all this time I thought you were the huge Gretsch guy, but you seem to be going DEEP in the Rogers pool. What brought the change?
Long before getting into or following drum gear, I noticed how Bonham's pedal didn't fit with all the rest of his gear. He had a pretty heavy 'chick' on his left foot (like in the Royal Albert hall vid) and obviously that Swivomatic pedal could hold up all the years. I have seen Charlie Watts with one too. This video makes me want to try one out.

Excellent job on an intro to Rogers drums. Beautiful kits... Definitely ahead of their time in a lot of respects.

My first "real" kit was a mashup of Cleveland, Dayton, and Fullerton pieces, from a 24" "old tag" speckled gray interior "Powertone" bass drum, an 8 x 12 "Tower" tom, and 9 x 13 and 16 x 16 "Holiday" toms in Red Onyx. Best of all was the COB Powertone snare (Cleveland). My dad bought it for me in 1979. Somehow it has survived to this day-although I no longer have the two swan-leg cymbal stands, hi hat stand, or solid board Swivomatic pedal, due to the abject stupidity of my youth. I wish someone would have been there to tell me exactly what I had and how to treat it with more respect than I did.

Since then I added a 20" bd, 12" Holiday tom, and 16 x 16 Holiday fl. tom. All Cleveland\Dayton tags and flat grey interiors.

Thanks for the video!

Loved my Rogers back in the early 70s! Was a holiday setup 22 bass drum! Always sounded great! The swivamatic hardware was great, should never have sold them! Many years of use! Blue sparkle set! The Dynasonic was one great snare, and the swivamatic bass drum pedal was a great fast pedal!

Back