metronomes and...

mxo721

does any one else find the "new" style electronic metronomes with the "bell" on the first beat annoying ? I grew up using old wind up metronomes...click click click click..that bell sometimes to me seems like slightly longer than a quarter note...I end up just using the guy's voice instead. I spent my Christmass eve with that guy, cause my family lives in another state, so it was me...my drums...and metronome dude going ONE TWO TREE FOUR...YAH!!!!

I keep my laptop near my drumset and so it seemed like a great idea to get a programmable metronome program. What I ended up going with is the Weird metronome.

It's much louder than a lot of the click-clack virtual metronomes, and is pretty programmable, with dozens of voices and the ability to program in specific beats and patterns. I turned right around and entered in several of the catchier beats from my band's setlist, and tried it out. Very nice and much more musical than the "one two three four" guy.

I have the discontinued Yamaha Clickstation which I love.

There are sliders for the accented beat (as well as other subdivisions like 8th and 16th note)

It also has the ability to adjust the 'beat' - meaning what time signature it is (2/4, 3/4....9/4 etc.) with the first beat being accented. It can also be set to '0' beats which means you get a beat unit but with no accented first beat.

I'm pretty sure the upper Boss and Tama metronomes have a similar ability as well.

Jim

I prefer to use flashing, LED metronomes with the sound off. Leaves your ears free to concentrate on what you're playing and, providing your peripheral vision is normal/decent, you can always see the beat out the corner of your eye. Also a good way for others to lock in (I hate click-tracks).

I have one of those little blue Korg ones, and you can do it on that by setting the number of beats to 1 or 0. If it's 1, you get the higher note, and 0 is the lower one (although there's a higher one on the very first beat). Works fine though.

I have an "app" for that on my iphone - not complex but all i need for prac or for reference. Good thing is i don't have to carry anything xtra as I always have my phone with me anyway.

I have the discontinued Yamaha Clickstation which I love.

There are sliders for the accented beat (as well as other subdivisions like 8th and 16th note)

It also has the ability to adjust the 'beat' - meaning what time signature it is (2/4, 3/4....9/4 etc.) with the first beat being accented. It can also be set to '0' beats which means you get a beat unit but with no accented first beat.

I'm pretty sure the upper Boss and Tama metronomes have a similar ability as well.

Jim

I've got one of these too, ace bit of kit. Use it live all the time why was it discontinued?

Back