INDe Drum Lab - Jazz Gig

RobertM

Platinum Member
For fans of Josh's INDe Drum Lab drums: I found this live performance of Jeff Shoup playing his INDe jazz kit (20/14/13/12) at Jazz Tuesdays Live at Moriarty's Pub with Olin Clark Trio, August 2017:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEoANqoBOFY

If you scroll to 19:00-22:00 minute section, you can hear Jeff trading fours and get a good live sound of the INDe kit at jazz tunings.

Cheers.

I'm so curious about these drums, but for the life of me I can't find any high-quality audio or video of them. I'm sure they sound ferocious, but before I plunk down the cash I'd love to get a better listen.

I'm quite curious, too.

They do sound good in the videos alone. The dampening thing is interesting.

Main interest is to pick up a small 4-piece that sounds good and ties me over until I'm comfortable swinging that full USA Custom shellpack. There are other ways to about it, though. If I found and old Renown with die casts that might be a better choice. I just really want to hear how it cuts, what tone gets through, if it has the presence those upper mids I like

I'm quite curious, too.

They do sound good in the videos alone. The dampening thing is interesting.

Main interest is to pick up a small 4-piece that sounds good and ties me over until I'm comfortable swinging that full USA Custom shellpack. There are other ways to about it, though. If I found and old Renown with die casts that might be a better choice. I just really want to hear how it cuts, what tone gets through, if it has the presence those upper mids I like

A Renown with die cast hoops would be much closer to the USA Custom sound you are looking for than an INDe kit.

A Renown with die cast hoops would be much closer to the USA Custom sound you are looking for than an INDe kit.

I agree. The used Renown with the die cast hoops will get you closer to the USA sound for less money. Honestly they might be close enough to where you wouldn't need to invest in a USA setup.

Oh, and I'm loving the Inde Drum stuff!

An USA kit in all sizes will show up at some point it's just not economically feasable for a ehile unless something changes.

Seeing how cheap used Renowns are getting a 12/14/18 would probably tie me over for a while since the 6-piece Catalina sort of still works and there are so many gigs I wouldn't bring the nice kit to anyway. Having a bar kit or two, unless you're made of money, is just common sense. Yes, I should maybe just stop looking as I know what I like.

Still, they seem like nice well thought out drums and the price seems fair as well.

Well, you won't find any hi-res audio on Josh's site, which is very deliberate on his part, as explained here: http://www.indedrum.com/blog/2017/1...-lo-fi-and-why-you-should-expect-nothing-less

Here's what I can tell you: If you want to get the classic bop sound out of a small drum set, the INDe drums perform flawlessly. I had a chance to play a set in 12/14/18 with a 5x14 snare at Josh's home and the sound was gorgeous. I will be ordering a set at some point in 2018.

I bought an 18/12/14 INDe Bop kit after hearing them at the Chicago Vintage Drum Show. The 18 x 12” bass drum is the best 18” bass drum I have ever owned or played ( I have owned 18” bass drum Gretsch USA Custom, Yamaha Club Custom and Oak Custom kits). The Toms are fantastic too, they can be cranked up and still have body and tuned down to very fat territory. The bonus is that these drums are incredibly lightweight.

INDe’s snares are outstanding, I own both sizes of the seamless brushed aluminum and a 6.5” Black Nickel over brass that can give your Ludwig Black Beauty a run for it’s Money.

Attachments

• 489E3793-F649-4971-833C-CAAF0E0314C5.jpeg
    489E3793-F649-4971-833C-CAAF0E0314C5.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 169
  • C80EAD24-49B1-473F-8FDB-D7566DB43546.jpeg
    C80EAD24-49B1-473F-8FDB-D7566DB43546.jpeg
    132.7 KB · Views: 166
I've been taking a close look at these and hope to pull the trigger later this year when funds become available.

I'm curious though as to why a 12x18 bass (and only a 12) when it seems like everyone else offers a 14x18.

Maybe Josh will chime in if he sees this post. That way, the whole group can benefit from his response. If not, I'll just drop him an email.

Cheers

Oh Hail Yea

If you scroll to 19:00-22:00 minute section, you can hear Jeff trading fours and get a good live sound of the INDe kit at jazz tunings.

Smooth!

VWyRECL.gif

Back