Selling Drum set Tips

DrummerBoi9636

So I'm selling a kid at school some old drum shells I don't use anymore kinda as a drum set. It has a 22" kick, 13" rack Tom, and a 14" floor tom. He already has a snare drum. It comes with hardware for the drums, no cymbal stands or anything extra. Does 200$ seem like a reasonable price? I just replaces the lugs and floor tom legs and mounts. I don't wanna rip him off, but I don't wanna under price them. They're not any high end drums. All from a starter kit

Give them to him for free. And give him a couple of free lessons. The feeling you'll get will be worth more than any amount of money you would make.

It would help to know the condition of the heads, and what brand they are-big difference between say an old Tama Rockstar shell and First Act shell.

I think Midnite is right-probably closer to $100-$150 than $200. There are used 5 piece kits in great condition selling for a little more than that at Guitar Center.

If you could post pics that would help as well.

The last beater kit I bought was $175 at a pawn shop---complete, and ready to play. I sold the kick pedal for $20, hi-hat stand for $25, and "cymbals" for $50. That left me with a 5-piece kit with snare stand, throne, and 2 straight cymbal stands for $80. $50 would be a fair price for 3 generic drums!

A hundred would be fair. I figure this is one young man selling to another young man.

Oh dumb me, I did not think of that. Well still, giving away a set of cheap drums to a beginner always makes you feel good no matter how old you are.

I'm in the giveaway camp or get me a crate of beer camp. (might be difficult for a kid to do that)

If they're old and you don't use them anymore, free the space up.

As others have said you can get a complete beginners kit from a pawn shop and have change from $200.

Oh dumb me, I did not think of that. Well still, giving away a set of cheap drums to a beginner always makes you feel good no matter how old you are.

I second that. I gave a snare drum to my nephew and he didn't do crap with it (or the guitar I gave him). Just the same, it still felt good.

To the OP....

Unless you are in a financially superior position to the buyer, and can easily afford to gift your gear-SELL them if you can. No reason not to, and you shouldn't feel obligated to give your stuff away, certainly not because someone on a drum forum suggested it.

Unlike an old fart like me, with gear stacked up all around me, as a young person still in school you probably have pretty limited funds or ways to make extra cash. Just be honest with what you are selling, fair in your in your price and realistic in your expectations.

Back