Is this a problem?

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
All I think about is drumming. I don't feel alive unless I'm rehearsing or gigging or sharing here on DW. I spend so much time here on DW. I've been late for work numerous times because I'm on DW. I am not into my electrical business at all lately. I find it an annoyance that I even have to work lol. All I want to do is bang on my drum all day lol. I am completely obsessed with drumming and Drummerworld. I love giving back to the drumming community and playing drums with good musicians for audiences. It's all I think about anymore. Help!

It is a problem. YOU have a problem. I HAVE a problem. I AM a problem.......child (AC/DC).

Hey, work generally sucks........so what? So you're late. I am never late...I am always on time and early. I HAVE THE PROBLEM.

You are a cool cat. So what.

I understand 100%. It's not a problem per-say, more like a passion. Our passions have a way of consuming us. Balance is always difficult. Just be glad your spouse is so supportive of your passion, or your woes would be worse.

Outsiders just don't understand!
They will never understand.
All life revolves around drumming.

I have a similar problem. I'm obsessed with making music and think about it all day. Then I sit down to write something, get nervous and stop.

I'm dealing with the end of my degree; most of which was composition. I have so many ideas but have no idea where to start.

hahahahahahaha

I can relate. I've come home at 2 in the afternoon and played hooky 75 times this year already. Nothing else inspires me lately as much as music. I am lucky that my wife understands me and encourages me to play as much as possible. She's a trooper but she's definitely over it when it comes to me rambling on about "my cymbal sounds" or some other bullshit.

Outsiders just don't understand!
They will never understand.
All life revolves around drumming.

I've grown comfortable in the last few years with not being inspired with my career. Ironically, I bet if I spent another five or ten years knuckling down, I could quit contracting and photography and take a shot at full time drumming. I guess I'm OK with it, the way it is.

Larry, let's start a double drumming doo wop dance band with the lead singer and guitarist as roadies and see how fast we can go broke.

TTNW - my other half has banned me from talking about Cricket. At least your wife lets you talk about drums to some degree!

TTNW - my other half has banned me from talking about Cricket. At least your wife lets you talk about drums to some degree!

OMG, you must be unsufferable. Rambling on about cricket bat weights and pitching styles and the current ugly trend in mod uniforms.

I don't blame her for shutting you down. I'd rather nail my privates to a burning building than talk about cricket.
Just kidding.

It's not called pitching, it's called bowling ;-) and I'm a particular fan of leg spinners, although Graeme Swann is a current favourite despite him being an off-spinner...

It's not called pitching, it's called bowling ;-) and I'm a particular fan of leg spinners, although Graeme Swann is a current favourite despite him being an off-spinner...

Do you see what you did there? You tried to suck me into your depraved vortex of cricket mania. Not gonna do it.

Your wife is on the right track. I will now ignore your cricket chat from here on. ;-)

and I'm a particular fan of leg spinners,

Me too.....should we talk about Warney?

Either 708 test scalps....or the fact that he's knocking off Liz Hurley and now looks like a wax figure from Madame Tussauds. I'm up for either. ;-)

Larry, it's no more of a problem than me sitting here in the middle of a working day replying to your thread on Drummerworld, is it?

She's not my wife... I think Cricket has a part to play in that...

PFOG - It pains me to say it but I'm a big fan of Shane Warne. I know he's Australian but I can't help it. Not only do I think his bowling is remarkable but I quite like him as a bloke too. He's a total git most of the time and I love that. My love for Warne is more than made up for by my dislike of Ponting but you can all just say he's Tasmanian and leave it at that.

Trying to find somewhere around here that will take me as a beginner (I have played before, I just can't bat, bowl or field) and let me train in the nets. I've been trying to work on my leg breaks but it's tricky without a wicket to bowl at!

I just can't bat, bowl or field

Can you carry the drinks tray? ;-)

The bin MFB....the humble rubbish bin. All Aussie kids earn their bowling stripes by lobbing them down the driveway at the bin. The garage door acts as automatic wicket keeper, over the fence is 6 and out and any catches taken off the roof must be done so one handed.

In Aus you have these large garage doors and flat places to bowl. I have a pitted hardstanding where the drunks go in the afternoon to relieve themselves that's potholed beyond repair - great practice given some of the wickets we have over here!

Bowling at the bin explains Mitchell Johnson's accuracy though for sure.

I'm a great drinks tray carrier. Alas I never played much Cricket at school because I was a very keen (and quite serious) Rugby player. Lock or Flanker usually. Turns out that when you're 6'2", fifteen stone and fast at fourteen years old scrum-halves develop an aversion to you!

I'm from Kent and our County Ground had a huge Oak tree on it until a few years ago. If the ball hit the tree it was always a four and you couldn't be caught off the tree. Marvellous pub quiz facts.

You see Larry,

PFOG and MFB have no balance. They have the real problem.

Garage doors as wicket keepers. Good grief!

You see Larry,

PFOG and MFB have no balance. They have the real problem.

Garage doors as wicket keepers. Good grief!

When your nation is top of the World test rankings through merit (and the help of a few South Africans) you can judge, sir!

EDIT: This avatar is just for you, Pocket!

Larry, you start the best threads.

I was thinking about this the other day, because I feel the same way. I was talking to some friends at work about that old cliche you hear from people who say that if they won the lottery, they'd still keep working their job because they wouldn't know what to do with the free time.

I think these people are insane! I just think about how I could pursue music without having to worry about how much the gigs paid.

So in this sense, I'm happy to have a passion like music and drumming in my life. There are a lot of poor schmucks out there who don't. I fefel sorry for them.

AAAHAHAHAHAHAHABAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

gold :D

Any man that drives to the supermarket half drunk to buy screwdrivers to enable him to rescue his cat from under the floorboards has my time.

Wow there's a whole cricket community that I had no idea existed.

Back