What The Heck Is Up WIth Gretch?

P

plangentmusic

I've been out of the loop for a while and just saw that Gretch has several styles of drums. I have a Gretch kit and don't even know which one it would be considered!

I believe I got them around 1978 -- the first year they went from the round badge to the octagon. (I remember being dissapointed because the walnut was a bit more red and less dark than the older models, but now I think they look pretty damn awesome).

Does anyone know what they would be called today? (If they still make them.) Thin shells with the "silver metallic paint" finish. And would a set from that time have any vintage value? Thanks.

What the heck is up with Gretsch is the same thing that's been up with every drum manufacturer: produce low cost entry level kits to build brand familiarity among beginners. Until the Broadkaster series, Gretsch didn't offer any drums that weren't the flagship model, so it had a somewhat "boutique" or "conoisseur" status (like Porche, for example).

Drum manufacturers have also realized that many drummers buy according to their eyes (and not ears), so having many production lines means having many different finishes on the showroom floor.

Your kit is the same as a USA Custom (the obvious differences being the mounts, spurs, and presence of internal mufflers). It probably has held its value very well, but the Gretsch drums that are most prized are either 60s era kits in great shape with rare finishes (Cadillac Green), and those that were made with Jasper (as opposed to Keller) shells.

FWIW, Charlie Watts usually plays a maple finish "stop sign" badge kit.

What happened was up until 2000, Gretch made just one pro line (thus why it has no name attached it), plus their Blackhawk entry line.

Gretch suffered from a variety of problems in the 90's, resulting in poor sales and just beyond lousy customer service. Meanwhile, Kaman (now called KMS) who is the largest music instrument distributor in the USA, was trying to figure out how to break into the pro-drum market. Kaman had started their own brand, Legend, but it failed to catch on.

Around 2000, Gretch signed a distribution deal with Kaman, where Kaman would take over Customer service, distribution, and such, and Gretch themselves would just make drums. And using the synergy of the two companies, they expanded the Gretch name into multiple lines by expanding manufacturing to Asia.

The previous un-named Gretch pro line is now called the USA Custom.

KMS got what they wanted: A hand in the pro drum market, and Gretch got what they wanted: The ability to focus on drum making without being dragged down by the all problems they were previously having.

Interesting. Thanks for the info guys. Actually, my badge has the current "lower case' "G" on the logo, which supposedly didn't come out till the 80's but I know for a fact the set was used on a recording in 1980. Hmmm.

BTW, I changed most of the hardware, even though that was Gretch's big step up in hardware from the flimsy 60's style. It still sucked.

FWIW, Charlie Watts usually plays a maple finish "stop sign" badge kit.

Gretsch round badge, natural maple:
8x12 (on snare stand)
16x16
14x22​

Attachments

• RonWoodChar_Wargo_7299890.jpg
    RonWoodChar_Wargo_7299890.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 2,085
I've been out of the loop for a while and just saw that Gretch has several styles of drums. I have a Gretch kit and don't even know which one it would be considered!

I believe I got them around 1978

Cool! I have pretty much the exact same kit. After all these years (decades!), it’s still a truly excellent kit. (And I’ve also been unclear about all the newer Gretsch lines. Good thread.)

What the heck is up with Gretsch is the same thing that's been up with every drum manufacturer: produce low cost entry level kits to build brand familiarity among beginners. Until the Broadkaster series, Gretsch didn't offer any drums that weren't the flagship model, so it had a somewhat "boutique" or "conoisseur" status (like Porche, for example).

Excellent explanation, and even Porsche somehow adopted the same approach with the Boxster model (well, still pretty expensive, but can't it be considered as the brand "entry level" model aiming at building, as you say, brand familiarity among beginners?).

What's the difference with these "entry level" drums? Fender has a line of guitars and basses built in indonesia called "Classic Vibes" and they are better than the more expensive Mexicans and almost as good as the Americans for a quarter of the price. Music man just came out with a chinese version of their line that I think is every bit as good at half the price.

So where are these drums companies cutting corners?

What's the difference with these "entry level" drums? Fender has a line of guitars and basses built in indonesia called "Classic Vibes" and they are better than the more expensive Mexicans and almost as good as the Americans for a quarter of the price. Music man just came out with a chinese version of their line that I think is every bit as good at half the price.

So where are these drums companies cutting corners?

Everything you mentioned is arguable, which is how it is for drums too it seems. Some guys will say cheap kit A is better than expensive kit B, just like the guitar debates. However, it does seem that drummers on this board are a little more open to playing gear from "overseas" than alot of guitar players were on the boards I frequented for years, but I digress...

It seems to me that the Gretsch Catalina and Renown lines get alot of praise and they're built in China or somewhere like that.

... Porsche somehow adopted the same approach with the Boxster model ....
Porsche had the 912, in 1965 .... the 914, in 1969 .... and the 924, in 1975 .... all entry level models. No adaptation with the Boxster, just following a business model that works.​

Back