ZOOM Q3

Hello, has anyone been able to successfully update the firmware on the Q3?, I can't figure out where to copy with BIN file. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Download update with Q3 'not' plugged into your comp.

Plug Q3 into USB

Drag update into Q3 icon on desk top

Unplug Q3

Turn Q3 on again while pressing and holding the play key

Select 'OK'

If 'Scene Select' appears on your MENU, download was successful (Mac).

Use in Auto mode unless you're shooting in real good/bright light

Two 'AA' cells

You need to make sure via the 'Menu' you've selected the proper battery setting.
So if you run NiCAD's on the 'Alkaline' setting, they're gonna last less than an hour.

Everything set correct, 4-5 hrs

Use rechargeables, best to get the AC power adaptor.

Thank you sir!

(20 Ngngn... *mumble mumble*)

Les, that's great that you took the time to help on this. Downloading software to devices like this can be a pain at time. Kudo's

Download update with Q3 'not' plugged into your comp.

Plug Q3 into USB

Drag update into Q3 icon on desk top

Unplug Q3

Turn Q3 on again while pressing and holding the play key

Select 'OK'

If 'Scene Select' appears on your MENU, download was successful (Mac).

Use in Auto mode unless you're shooting in real good/bright light
Hi Les, sorry to bug you but I recorded my gig with my new Q3 and the lighting issue was really bad. I have version 2.01 on my SD card but no scene select on my menu. My PC is on Windows. Any ideas on how I can activate scene select. Help very much appreciated if you can.

Did you install it successfully? Does it say Version 2.01 when you turn it on?

My Q3's lighting is just fine, I have a colour issue though which is probably due to this scene select thing? If you appear say with a red t-shirt, all colours immediately fade quite a bit. So I went to "Concert Lighting" and now it's better. "Auto" doesn't seem to be the greatest idea. Sometimes colours changed during the same video recording.

KIS, "Scene Select" should appear right below "Sound Quality" by the way, if you updated correctly.

Did you install it successfully? Does it say Version 2.01 when you turn it on?

My Q3's lighting is just fine, I have a colour issue though which is probably due to this scene select thing? If you appear say with a red t-shirt, all colours immediately fade quite a bit. So I went to "Concert Lighting" and now it's better. "Auto" doesn't seem to be the greatest idea. Sometimes colours changed during the same video recording.

KIS, "Scene Select" should appear right below "Sound Quality" by the way, if you updated correctly.
No, it doesn't say 2.01 when I switch it on, but when I go to my computer - external device, there is 2.01 sitting there with all the other components. HELP PLEASE SM!!! I have to get this sorted for tonight's show.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, it doesn't say 2.01 when I switch it on, but when I go to my computer - external device, there is 2.01 sitting there with all the other components. HELP PLEASE SM!!! I have to get this sorted for tonight's show.
Have to go teaching now, but search the zoom homepage, you should find the instruction to properly install it. Or look at the other thread here (someone posted the link above).

All I remember is you have to copy the update file into your SD card, and then turn the zoom on while pressing some key (menu?), so the zoom will upgrade to the new version. Hope you manage to do it before your show!!

Have to go teaching now, but search the zoom homepage, you should find the instruction to properly install it. Or look at the other thread here (someone posted the link above).

All I remember is you have to copy the update file into your SD card, and then turn the zoom on while pressing some key (menu?), so the zoom will upgrade to the new version. Hope you manage to do it before your show!!
Thanks SM. Managed to do it, whoohooo! I needed to extract the bin file from the folder before dragging it over to the Q3 icon I opened up in "my computer". I'll report back to this thread on how the lighting update helps.

Back