DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:14 AM

Default How generous are you when supplying a kit?

I'm supplying the kit at a 3 band gig tomorrow. The only things I don't want anyone else using are the cymbals. I'm going to play one up one down but I have another rack tom, so should I bring that too in case someone wants to use it or am I being overly considerate?
Old 06-22-2017, 09:32 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: How generous are you when supplying a kit?

I never let others use my cymbals. If you didn't bring your own, you'll be playing mid 80s Phil Collins style for the night.

I generally tell them they can use my throne and pedals as long as they don't mess with any settings, and I also usually let others use my snare if they haven't been able to bring one. I do let them know in advance that it's probably easier and better for everyone if they bring their own throne, pedals and snare though.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erberderber View Post
I'm supplying the kit at a 3 band gig tomorrow. The only things I don't want anyone else using are the cymbals. I'm going to play one up one down but I have another rack tom, so should I bring that too in case someone wants to use it or am I being overly considerate?
Way too generous. You're doing them a massive favour by supplying the kit in the first place, if you start pandering to other peoples needs you'll get walked over. If they want their own setup they should bring their own kit. They should be getting you a few beers for your trouble.

I'd include snare and pedal in the list of stuff you don't want people to use. Only takes one shedbuilder and you're out of pocket big time.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:18 PM
Platinum Member

If you play one up one down then they can suck it up for a night getting the luxury of not bringing a kit.

Usually the gigs I play are 4 bands with quick change overs so if gear shareing is involved it is discussed a bit first.

Cymbals, pedals, and snare are NEVER included.

It is usually kick, toms, snare stand, hat stand, cymbal stands.

Throne should be discussed. Some guys don't want to share butt sweat. Others don't care.

Pedals are a very personal item. I set mine up for MY playing and don't want to use other peoples. I also don't want someone hulk stomping mine day in and out when they cost so much.

At the end of the day, I have loaned my snare, pedals, a crash to to other guys who have forgot stuff to keep the gig going, but I don't make a point of offering it every night. This stuff is super expensive.

As far as the tom, it's not much extra work, but if you let another guy add it, hes going to have to change the set up, move the ride, change cymbal heights etc to make it work, then you have to waste all that time putting it back.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:18 PM
Gold Member

I'd leave it as a 1U1D setup with the tom on a snare stand. If people have the option to mess things up they will. They will lower the tom to the point of chipping the BD, or cranking the knobs down with an impact wrench. I normally play 2U2D. I would be ecstatic if someone offered to share their kit. The only thing I've ever changed are SD height and Cymbal angles and height. Everything else I usually leave as is, unless the tom angle are so severe, I couldn't play them if my life depended on it.

Last edited by AzHeat; 06-22-2017 at 10:03 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:31 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

A 4-pc kit will satisfy most drummers' needs. Anyone who's good enough to play a gig, should be good enough to work with the kit provided.

I've never sat behind a supplied kit and grumbled about there not being enough drums. Sometimes, there are too many! I can do just about everything with a kick, snare and hat. Any more than that is icing on the cake.

Bermuda
Old 06-23-2017, 03:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikyok View Post
Way too generous.
You shouldn't have to supply drums. If the venue doesn't allow time for changeovers, THEY should supply the backline.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:47 PM

Well boys and girls, did the gig yesterday and in the end there was only one other band. Before their drummer arrives, I overhear other members of the band moaning that there's only one rack tom and that it won't suit him. When he does eventually show up, I see that he's brought nothing other than a cymbal bag, but despite this, the first thing he asks me is if he can use mine "to save the hassle when changing over". The kit is set up how I set it up (complete with my new snare) and he says, "for me that's fine how it is". I tell him that for me, drummers don't usually share cymbals, but he insists, so I give in and tell him to be careful. He then says, "don't worry, I've been doing this for 20 years, they'll be fine". I had my old snare with me and said that he would use that seeing as he hadn't brought his own. Then, if things weren't bad enough already, he asks me if I have a pair of sticks he can use.

So this drummer has been "playing for 20 years" and would seem that he doesn't own a kit (his band were headlining but couldn't supply a kit) and comes to a gig without sticks. Beyond belief.

In the end his band play innoquous soft rock covers and the cymbals don't take a beating. He thanks me and compliments me on the kit sound. All's well that ends well, but it was an experience I hope not to repeat any time soon.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:07 PM

Sounds like they hired your drum kit, not your band. Glad it worked out ok, but crazy story.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member

I remember my Tama kit being used during the NAMM Jams we were having at my friends warehouse last January. We had two kits actually, but they were using my cymbals too.

Needless to say, I was worried all night. I had to keep reminding myself that these are all pro players and they know how to hit cymbals correctly.

So, after 3 nights of that, everything was fine, but it was a bit nerve-racking.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member

Seems like there are only two kinds of musicians that ever have to "loan" instruments. Piano players and drummers. (And amps for guitar players.)
Everyone else never needs to loan out their instrument.

My feeling is that if you are a drummer who plays gigs all the time, you need to have a special set of drums that you would be willing to share with anyone. Drums, cymbals, snare and everything else. That way you won't stress out. I have a complete set of "I don't care who plays them" drums.

Old 06-28-2017, 12:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Jim View Post

My feeling is that if you are a drummer who plays gigs all the time, you need to have a special set of drums that you would be willing to share with anyone.
I disagree. If the gig requires me to share my equipment, the gig requires a different drummer.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:45 AM
Silver Member

I'm as generous as they pay me to be.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumming sort of person View Post
IIf the gig requires me to share my equipment, the gig requires a different drummer.
My thoughts exactly.

Even doing functions you get the occasional gig where you get asked if someone can use your kit. I always decline. My kit is kept as tip top as possible and it stays that way. I'm not a rental company.

The worst situation is when somebody assumes they can go hog wild on the tubs. They act like you've knifed their tyres when you tell them nope.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:02 PM
Gold Member

I'm guessing there are differences based on location and level of the bands. Here in St. Louis sharing kits happens in two scenarios, benefit/charity events and venues with original bands that only play one set. Also I am a weekend warrior in a run of the mill cover band. I do have a practice kit that I would use if asked to share with other drummers. In the past I have asked drummers that would be using my kit to bring cymbals, snare and snare stand, and throne.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calan View Post
I'm as generous as they pay me to be.
Good point.............................

Old 06-28-2017, 05:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I disagree. If the gig requires me to share my equipment, the gig requires a different drummer.
That attitude would not get you a lot of gigs here in the bay area, especially in the more urban areas with the popular venues. You'd have to be a pretty big deal before any venue would pander to someone being all precious about their tubs. I'll never get why some folks are so ocd about their stuff being perfect. cars, too... I know some guys who buy really expensive cars, take them out in public and then come unhinged when they get dinged in a mall parking lot. For me, cars and drums, even nicer ones, are tools that should be taken care of, but not neurotically worried about to the extent nobody else can touch them.

I've played more an a few times in your neck of the woods near and around LA and done plenty of kit shares too... Maybe you are a bigger deal than I know?
Old 06-28-2017, 05:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer-russ View Post
I'm guessing there are differences based on location and level of the bands. Here in St. Louis sharing kits happens in two scenarios, benefit/charity events and venues with original bands that only play one set. Also I am a weekend warrior in a run of the mill cover band. I do have a practice kit that I would use if asked to share with other drummers. In the past I have asked drummers that would be using my kit to bring cymbals, snare and snare stand, and throne.
Around here, it's usually a gig downtown where even double parking in front of the venue is extremely difficult and there's no space inside for 3 different kits. Most of them have a house kit, actually, which is nice... But a lot of times there's guys who get weird about not playing their own kit so they get to setup theirs and share the non-breakables.

Other times it's to cut down on changeover times if there's not stage space for multiple setups. Saves lots of time on loading around, placing and checking mics, etc.

I'm same as you. When sharing one of my kits, I say "bring snare, cymbals, pedal and throne if you're picky bout what you sit on."
Old 06-28-2017, 05:38 PM
Platinum Member

I have a set of drums and cymbals that I don't want anyone to touch. I Also have a set of drums and cymbals that I allow others to play.
I just need to know which set to bring to the gig. And to be honest I don't play at heavy metal or punk gigs so I have not had anyone bash my drums......... yet. LOL

Old 06-28-2017, 05:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Jim View Post
I have a set of drums and cymbals that I don't want anyone to touch.
Why? What makes it imperative that they stay pristine? I'm genuinely curious if you've ever thought about it? I know we both know it's just stuff. You can't take it with you, and if nobody else ever gets to play or appreciate it, is it like some survival instinct to protect what you have maybe?
Old 06-28-2017, 05:59 PM
Silver Member

I was recently asked by a friend if I would be interested in working with him to host a weekly "open jam night" featuring his band at a local bar. I would provide the drumkit (complete), and run the sound for $50 and free beer. I didn't like the idea to start with, but we went to talk to the owner just for the hell of it. Nice little place, and the owner was cool, but they had no stage, and no PA system. (my friend normally runs his setup through the house PA) He offered me another $50 if I supplied my PA for the night. In the end I would be providing over $2000 worth of gear for 5 hours for $100 ($20/hr) My friend and his bandmates would make $25 each, and would be tearing my drums and PA down, setting everything up at the bar, tearing everything down again, and setting it all back up again in my studio. I didn't even have to say no!
Old 06-28-2017, 06:02 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
Why? What makes it imperative that they stay pristine? I'm genuinely curious if you've ever thought about it? I know we both know it's just stuff. You can't take it with you, and if nobody else ever gets to play or appreciate it, is it like some survival instinct to protect what you have maybe?
I know this is directed at Hollywood, but I feel the same way. At this point, I'm referring to my cymbals. Took me a decade to get good cymbals again and they are super thin. Just can't afford to have them damaged. I'll never get a replacement....
Old 06-28-2017, 06:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
You are correct, it's just stuff. So I'll be more specific. I have a set with newer drum heads and expensive cymbals that I don't want others to play. Often other drummers put dents in my heads. Other drummers might also crack my cymbals. So the issue is specifically drum heads and cymbals.

For three years I was in a house band for an open jam. I supplied the drum set. So I had older used drum heads on that kit. And I had cheaper cymbals on that kit. I would also swap out the snare drum when I was done playing. Once in a while a jam drummer would get up to play my drums and he would adjust the cymbals so that they were flat so he could give them a good "wack". Very scary to watch. And the jam drummers would ALWAYS put dents in the batter heads.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzHeat View Post
I know this is directed at Hollywood, but I feel the same way. At this point, I'm referring to my cymbals. Took me a decade to get good cymbals again and they are super thin. Just can't afford to have them damaged. I'll never get a replacement....
That's different. Nobody really shares cymbals. They are way less replaceable, more personal, and more individual. I'm with you. If someone cracks my 24 inch 60's ride I'll never have that exact sound again.

Just the kit itself, I'm not worried about. Heads are 10 bucks. The drums will get dinged, if not be me, then by someone walking by or a well-meaning bandmate helping to pack up.

Everyone has a different set of values, and I was just curious what thought process goes into saying "nobody can touch my drums". I found that bit in "step brothers" to be the only funny part of the waste of film.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'll never get why some folks are so ocd about their stuff being perfect.
I'm not obsessive at all, but the fact is that most drummers are Neanderthals. Case in point, check out any set of drums in any rehearsal hall.

I'm not a "jobbing" drummer anymore. I only play gigs with people I know, playing music I would want to hear in a club I would patronize, in a decent neighborhood. I don't play clubs that have multiple bands sharing the evening anymore. No point. The sound is always atrocious, and everyone is just playing for their handful of friends. When you're just starting out and trying to network, it makes sense to play with as many people as you can. At this point I'm only interested in creating music I care for, which usually means way fewer gigs, but more satisfaction.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:20 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Last time I let my kit be used by multiple bands I ended up with 2 severely dented tom heads, broken snare head, and 2 cracked cymbals---cost me $400 to replace everything---got paid $50 for the gig!
Old 06-28-2017, 06:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm not obsessive at all, but the fact is that most drummers are Neanderthals. Case in point, check out any set of drums in any rehearsal hall.

I'm not a "jobbing" drummer anymore. I only play gigs with people I know, playing music I would want to hear in a club I would patronize, in a decent neighborhood. I don't play clubs that have multiple bands sharing the evening anymore. No point. The sound is always atrocious, and everyone is just playing for their handful of friends. When you're just starting out and trying to network, it makes sense to play with as many people as you can. At this point I'm only interested in creating music I care for, which usually means way fewer gigs, but more satisfaction.
Right, but at the gigs you're talking about, wouldn't the other players be of a higher level and unlikely to hurt your stuff? I too have met a few players in my time that feel "hitting hard" is the most important aspect of drumming. Gives my eye-rolling muscles a good workout.

Not to mention, it looks like you're mostly into jazz shows, and I really can't imagine the jazz scene is full of "neanderthals"...
Old 06-28-2017, 06:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippy chip View Post
Last time I let my kit be used by multiple bands I ended up with 2 severely dented tom heads, broken snare head, and 2 cracked cymbals---cost me $400 to replace everything---got paid $50 for the gig!
Ouch. Sounds like you let a beginner on your kit! Never have I heard of that much damage in a kit share. Did you call out the guy? It should have been pretty easy to tell with that kind of abusive behavior... Had to be intentional or a literal beginner.

Next time, make them bring snare and cymbals!
Old 06-28-2017, 06:49 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Ouch. Sounds like you let a beginner on your kit! Never have I heard of that much damage in a kit share. Did you call out the guy? It should have been pretty easy to tell with that kind of abusive behavior... Had to be intentional or a literal beginner.

Next time, make them bring snare and cymbals!
I no longer supply anything---If you are a drummer you can provide your own gear!
Old 06-28-2017, 07:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I no longer supply anything---If you are a drummer you can provide your own gear!
Seriously, did you bring it up to the guy who ruined everything they possibly could on your kit? What possible justification could they have for not helping you replace any of that?
Old 06-28-2017, 08:41 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Seriously, did you bring it up to the guy who ruined everything they possibly could on your kit? What possible justification could they have for not helping you replace any of that?
They packed up and left before anyone noticed the damage---didn't even wait to get paid---the promoter gave us their $100, so I was only $250 out of pocket after my bandmates chipped in their share! The best part of the story is that I wasn't even playing drums that day---I was the bass player in that band, but my drummer was wise enough not to bring his DWs, so we brought my Mapex kit instead.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
They packed up and left before anyone noticed the damage---didn't even wait to get paid---the promoter gave us their $100, so I was only $250 out of pocket after my bandmates chipped in their share! The best part of the story is that I wasn't even playing drums that day---I was the bass player in that band, but my drummer was wise enough not to bring his DWs, so we brought my Mapex kit instead.
That's horrible man! Like getting mugged or something.

Assume that "band" was terrible if the drums were played like that!
Old 06-28-2017, 09:26 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
That's horrible man! Like getting mugged or something.

Assume that "band" was terrible if the drums were played like that!
I was outside, um, reviewing the setlist, yeah, while they were playing, but they left 20 minutes into a 45 minute set, so I assume that was when he broke the snare head, and nobody was sad to see them go except for me!
Old 06-28-2017, 10:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I was outside, um, reviewing the setlist, yeah, while they were playing, but they left 20 minutes into a 45 minute set, so I assume that was when he broke the snare head, and nobody was sad to see them go except for me!
I'm glad I got these extra details. Makes for a much weirder story! wonder if they got laughed off, or simply quit because of the snare?
Old 06-28-2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Why, because he said so that's why.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip View Post
Why, because he said so that's why.
Dad? Why do you always say this to me when you don't have a real point and still need to argue? Why did you sign up for my drum forum just to post inane stuff?
Old 06-28-2017, 11:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Dad? Why do you always say this to me when you don't have a real point and still need to argue? Why did you sign up for my drum forum just to post inane stuff?
Don't make Daddy angry. You know what happened last time....
Old 06-28-2017, 11:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
Don't make Daddy angry. You know what happened last time....
No drums for a month!
Old 06-29-2017, 12:10 AM

Quote:
But I have exactly the same feelings about my car - I know its just a vehicle and I can't take it with me, but nobody except me gets to drive it. And my car is a creaky, worthless POS.

You've acknowledged that you understand and share most people's views about sharing cymbals, I have similar feelings about my drums, its not so much about them remaining pristine or they would stay at home, unlike my cymbals I will let other drummers play my drums, but only if I know them personally and know they aren't cavemen - but I'm not on board with the idea that ANYONE can use them. If I don't know the drummer personally then my answer would be NO. I don't like Russian Roulette.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Right, but at the gigs you're talking about, wouldn't the other players be of a higher level and unlikely to hurt your stuff? I too have met a few players in my time that feel "hitting hard" is the most important aspect of drumming. Gives my eye-rolling muscles a good workout.

Not to mention, it looks like you're mostly into jazz shows, and I really can't imagine the jazz scene is full of "neanderthals"...
Jazz festivals always supply drums. And any gigs I play around here don't book multiple bands. I'm not interested in playing a gig that lets your band play for 30-40 minutes, and then waiting around while someone else uses my gear.

And it's not just that drummers can hit hard. They have a tendency to over-tighten stands and destroy hardware in the process.