DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-18-2017, 04:33 PM
JohnoWorld

Default Your "go to" snare

After years of changing snares, selling, buying, I now only have 5 (well, only 3 proper ones) and yet I almost only use one of them.

It does everything, sounds great at all tuning levels, all dampening levels, all snare tensions, all heads, all sticks, all mics, lots of body, lots of crack, lots of top end. I still haven't found one situation where it doesn't excel.

It is a quite beat up Sonor Artist Steel. I bought it for £300 on ebay and then got a further £50 discount when i noticed the bottom bearing edge had a little dent in it (where it had clearly been dropped) - yet this bargain is easily the best snare I've ever played, keeping my Prolite 14x6 diecast and Pearl Omar Hakim snares almost obselete which are only brought out for specific occasions.

So what's your "go-to" snare?

(assuming lots of black beauty responses - I want to know why)

Cheers

PS apologies if this has been done before, I'm relatively new to this forum
Old 01-18-2017, 04:41 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Your "go to" snare

Right now, I have the following:

Pork Pie 13" x 5" USA maple (matches my drum set)
Pearl Masters 14" x 5" maple
Tama Rockstar 14" x 5.5" steel shell
Pearl 14" x 5.5" steel shell
Ludwig Centennial maple 13" x 5.5" (I think)

I have three kits that I actively play: one is at church, one is in their cases ready to gig (it's actually set up in a studio right now), and one is in my practice room/basement. If I had it my way, I'd buy two more Pearl Masters maple snares just like that one I have at church, and I'd put the rest of my other snares in storage. It does everything that I need it to do and more. That Ludwig Centennial is a very, very close second.

Last edited by PorkPieGuy; 01-18-2017 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:51 PM
Platinum Member

I like these kinds of threads.

I have 5 snares now, all of which I love dearly, but the go-to, the one that gets the gigs is the 14 x 6.5 Pork Pie BoB. But for practice, I use the 14 X 6.5 Ludwig Element Birch. My Acrolite is in storage right now, and my brass 14 x 4 Slingerland Buddy Rich snare sounds amazing, but I never have enough room for a piccolo side snare. It's the perfect side snare. Maybe someday... The old Aluminum Gretsch was my go to for 20+ years, but now it just sits around. I can't get rid of it because I've had it since I started drumming back in the early 80's. I've recently took the hoops off it and swapped hoops with my Element Birch snare, which made the Element Birch even more awesome.

Well, that's my snare story...
:)
Old 01-18-2017, 05:21 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

I have a LOT of snares (100+) but only 3 get 99% of the action on my local gig, all 6.5x14 Ludwig in no particular order:

Copperphonic.

'80s Supra, pitted.

'60s COB Supra w/orig brass hoops and heavier lugs. It started as a super-sensitive, and was re-drilled for a regular throw and butt - a common conversion back in the day - so it doesn't possess as much value being a player's drum.

On tour I've been using the same Black Beauty since 2007, which lost its clear coat years ago and has an attractive gun-metal patina.

Bermuda
Old 01-18-2017, 05:31 PM
Platinum Member

Until recently I only owned three snares, and my 6.5x14" Mapex Sledgehammer (hammered brass shell) got the majority of the attention from me. It has a great sound and tunes low or high. My new Joey Kramer snare (thanks again, Rotarded) has been the star of my snare stable the last few weeks, though. It's got a bit more bark and bite than the mellower Mapex. I think 6.5" brass shells are pretty much me.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:32 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I have 3 - 14 x 7 snares that see gig action:

Guru Ash steambent
Guru Padauk segmented
Guru Walnut segmented

The Holy Trinity

Kind of predictable.

Last edited by larryace; 01-18-2017 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:37 PM
Gold Member

I always come back to my Coliseums.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:38 PM
Platinum Member

For gigs I have been using my ugly 402 Supraphonic. It delivers a consistent "rock" sound, plus I like the internal muffler for close mic'd situations.

I also have an Acrolite that lives at my church gig. I love the sound of an aluminum snare that is cranked to high Heaven. I think I might even like the Acro more that the Supra right now. It is a little dry, not too dry, responsive and a good attack when I need it.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 01-18-2017, 06:42 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Gretsch Brooklyn 6.5 x 14 Hammered COB
Old 01-18-2017, 06:59 PM
Gold Member

That is a really nice drum the Sonor.
I also went through a buying selling phase however now that I am slowing down a bit I decided to keep just the one and that is the Ludwig 61/4 Black Beauty. Same as you it does all I need, if I desire a change of some sort there are plenty of heads out there that will do that for me.
Had I not been able to purchase the drum at a great price I would have opted for the Acrolite.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:03 PM
Platinum Member

The one that came with my Yamaha kit. Tune it up, tension the snares and off I go.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:06 PM
Ghostnote

I'll usually take two drums with me to a gig or rehearsal, a 5x15 Legacy and a 5x15 Supralite, and use the one that sounds better in that particular room. I would like to get a 5x15 Black Magic too, and that way I would have all the tunings/tensions covered. I would keep the steel drum loose and baggy, the wood drum medium, and the brass drum cranked. I don't tighten the basket on my snare stand, the drum just sits in there, so in 5 seconds flat I could switch one out for another.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:13 PM
Platinum Member

For years it was an 80s 6 1/2"x14" hammered bronze Ludwig.

Lately I switch between a 7"x14" Eames-shelled custom drum built by Craviotto in the 80s (for jazz gigs), and a Solid brand (also Craviotto- an early company of his) 5 1/2"x14" single ply maple drum (for funk gigs).
Old 01-18-2017, 09:06 PM
Platinum Member

My go-to snare is a 1927 Super Ludwig. It is a chromed brass shell.
It has a Ludwig P86 strainer, brass single flange hoops with clips and tube lugs.

I donít hit a lot of rim shots for my back beats. This snare provides a nice loud crack when hit in the center.
With an undampened Evans G1 coated batter head it has just a small amount of those ringing over tones. Perfect !

Old 01-18-2017, 09:45 PM
Silver Member

1952 Gretsch Round Badge Snare. Shell was stripped by me and painted by my daughter when she was 6. It was re-cut and assembled by The Modern Drumshop (NYC) right before they closed down forever. I replaced the stick chopper top rim with a 2.3mm triple flange (rim shots).

Every band member, soundguy and studio engineer loves this drum - works in any genre.

There's some serious mojo in old Gretsch snares, something I can't describe.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:53 PM
Gold Member

My "go to" snares are two from Tama. One is the Tama SLP Vintage Steel 14x5.5, the other is the Tama SLP Classic Maple 14x5.5. Those two snares are each perfect allrounders.

Which one I use depends rather often than not on the location/stage. I talk to the sound engineer and he will tell me: steel or wood. Some stages just don't work so well with a metal snare, and in that case I gladly pull out the maple snare. And vice versa. Both can be tuned up really high or really low, can ring lively or be dry like a good Martini, both work well with all musical styles that I play and deliver tremendous ghostnotes.

Just a few weeks ago, I also purchased the SLP Vintage Poplar Maple. A bit more special (not as loud as the others, a bit more compressed, "vintage"-sounding) but it will be played often, 'cause it's a really nice snare.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:00 PM
Platinum Member

Is this not simply becoming a bragging competition for who has the oldest, or rarest, or most expensive, or most desirable snare?
Old 01-18-2017, 10:03 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Is this not simply becoming a bragging competition for who has the oldest, or rarest, or most expensive, or most desirable snare?
That's one way to look at it. I like hearing about others main squeezes. I like to see how many people prefer wood over metal, or no preference, just the right fit. Kind of like talking about your honey.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:24 PM
Ghostnote

Quote:
Not really. The Supralite I mentioned is a $200 snare drum. The Legacy is a $500 drum, but you can find them used for $300. Neither is rare, old, or overly expensive.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:25 PM

My 'go to' snare is a 14 X 6 Noonan Stave shell in natural maple, with tube lugs and Yamaha alloy hoops. It does it all beautifully, and gets used 80% of the time.

Down to 4 snares including this, and the others are:-

Ludwig Black Beauty 14 X 5
Noonan aluminium 14 X 6.5
Noonan padauk stave shell 14 X 5

I feel I can cover all bases with this versatile selection. Thick Stave shells work really well on snares, to my ears.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:32 PM
Silver Member

My Dunnett Ti 14x6.5 gets the most attention.

Gretsch usa custom maple 14x6.5 is a good second.

Used lm400, tama slp steel 13x6.5 and old 5x14 classic maple sadly are sleeping on a shelf.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
It's not if posters are being honest about the snare that they use the most; and if they explain why they like it.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:12 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Honestly, I didn't pick up on this at all. To me it's no different than mechanics talking about their tools:
some like Snap-On, others like Matco, Proto, Williams, Lang, Armstrong, Wright, Martin, Craftsman, Kobalt
and a host of other brands. In the end, any tool that gets the job done is the right tool.

I for one like to hear what others are using and why. But I will say this, the more snares you acquire, the
more difficult it becomes to narrow your "go-to" snare to a single choice. There are nuances you appreciate
about them all.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:13 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
I don't think so. My snares e.g. are not that expensive, nor incredibly valuable, nor incredibly old. Others also mentioned snares that don't cost an arm and a leg. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Old School
...the more snares you acquire, the more difficult it becomes to narrow your "go-to" snare to a single choice. There are nuances you appreciate
about them all.
Well said.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:53 AM
Ghostnote

[quote=Vintage Old School;1480565
I for one like to hear what others are using and why. But I will say this, the more snares you acquire, the
more difficult it becomes to narrow your "go-to" snare to a single choice. There are nuances you appreciate
about them all.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. For me, it's mostly about the fact that different rooms have different acoustic properties, and for that reason it's difficult to narrow it down to one snare drum because some drums will sound better than others in certain rooms.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:24 AM
Platinum Member

Early 80s Supraphonic. It has the perfect sound for the wide variety of covers I play.

A close second is my Club Date SE 14x5. It saw the most action before I got the Supra. I will use it ocasionally because it sounds great.

Also have:
Blackrolite 14x5
Gretsch Renown 14x5
Mapex Steel 14x6.5
Pearl maple 13x3
Gretsch Catalina Club 14x5
Old 01-19-2017, 03:56 AM
Platinum Member

I think I have 7 Snares? All different sizes and shell materials, but the one that gets the most work is a 5.5" x 14" Brass. It has black chrome platting like the Black Beauties, though it was originally from a generic brand.

It's been used on probably 85-90% of all the recordings I've done over the last 13 or so years.

I added Black S-Hoops to the top and bottom, and removed the badge, replacing it with my personal logo once I began endorsing Yamaha. But I still use it regularly on gigs and almost always in the studio. It's the one drum that can be tuned anyway, with any heads and you will always get what you need.
YouTube
Old 01-19-2017, 04:15 AM
Silver Member

Cool thread. I was thinking of starting one along these lines - good stuff, JohnoWorld. Enjoying the responses.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:23 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Jim View Post
My go-to snare is a 1927 Super Ludwig. It is a chromed brass shell.
It has a Ludwig P86 strainer, brass single flange hoops with clips and tube lugs.

I've read at least one other mention of this drum. Sounds like a beauty. Any pics to post?
Old 01-19-2017, 04:43 AM
Platinum Member

5x14 Oriollo Bakar copper shell. I've got Kentville kangaroo hide heads top and bottom with Grover cable snares. I love the way it feels under the stick and the warm, resonant sound of copper. I could go with a 6 or 6.5 for a little more ring, but for the extremely low volume gigs I play, it's perfect.

Second place goes to my hammered 5-inch Black Beauty with same heads and snares. It's definitely louder, and just sounds more military and less smooth and "jazzy" or "silky".
Old 01-19-2017, 04:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder 42 View Post
I've read at least one other mention of this drum. Sounds like a beauty. Any pics to post?
Thank you. I inherited it from my Dad.
It's a pretty heavy drum.
I brought new COB single flange hoops and added the P86 strainer.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:20 AM
Silver Member

I own 5 snares, out of those my go to is a Pearl Steve Ferrone signature model, which was essentially a Black Beauty clone. Notably different is that it has a welded shell, which I don't seem to care about. Other notable features are brass hoops (which I always love) and hardware that isn't as finnicky as a Ludwig. I believe the lugs and snare wires are even brass. Perhaps all of that brass resonating in concert is what does it for me.

I just like the ring of brass. At the normal med high tuning I keep it at, I can get about any sound I'd want out of the drum by varying where and how I strike the drum. It also sound flat out great under microphones, live or recorded.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:21 AM
Silver Member

That thing is AMAZING! Is it really 1927? It looks like it could have been made yesterday, by a top quality custom maker. How much restoration has gone into it, and what have you had to do? BTW, Thanks for sharing that beauty. :)
Old 01-19-2017, 05:34 AM
Silver Member

Oh my, Hollywood. What a very special drum. Wow, just wow!
Old 01-19-2017, 05:42 AM
Platinum Member

It's hard for this not to turn into another "good snare " thread!
I own some high-end drums that have a particular voice but for an all around starting point, it might just be my simple 5x14 Yamaha maple ply snare.
I could probably do 90% of any drumming I care to do with it.
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2017, 05:45 AM
Silver Member

5.5x14 Steel Keplinger.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:46 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonni View Post
I think I have 7 Snares?
You have fewer than 10 snares, but you don't know for sure exactly how many? Oh Nick...
Old 01-19-2017, 07:03 AM

I like this thread and the responses. Like some others said it is so hard to pick just one. My top three go like this in no real order.

1. 6.5x14 custom made 3 ply maple, vintage Rogers hardware. (Shout out to Stone Custom Drums for the shell)

2. 1969 Sonor D-444. I think it's Ferro steel. Internal muffler.

3. Tama Silverstar birch snare that came with my kit. Right heads and tuning it's perfect for blues.

I can't just choose one because these three have such unique voices. I'm a big advocate for using the right tool for the job.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
That thing is AMAZING! Is it really 1927? It looks like it could have been made yesterday, by a top quality custom maker. How much restoration has gone into it, and what have you had to do? BTW, Thanks for sharing that beauty. :)
OK here is the story of my Super Ludwig Snare. My dad had this drum for many many years. He told me it was made in 1927. This style of drum was made from 1924 to 1928. There is no real way to know exactly what year it was made. It has 10 tube lugs.

When I got it, it had standard modern triple flange Ludwig type hoops on it. My dad said that the old single flange hoops were dented and not chrome but nickel plated. And he did not like clips on his drums, so he replaced the hoops. There were no strainer guards on the drum. And the strainer was not working well. When turned off, the snare wires would not pull far enough away from the drum head. It had a strainer that had individually adjustable snare wires. The old strainer and butt plate stuck out pretty far and when I played it my leg was always hitting those parts. But still the drum sounded great. My dad used it for all of his gigs until he passed away in 1997.

I thought maybe I should restore the drum by buying some original parts. It would have cost me around $500. And then I would have a drum worth maybe $1500. But then because it was my Fatherís drum I never would have sold it. So I removed the old strainer and installed a Ludwig P86 strainer on it. It works great. And I purchased some new chrome on brass single flange hoops and clips. I just love the sound of this drum.

Thanks for asking.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:37 AM
Platinum Member

Ludwig Supra 5 x 14
I own few snares (2 or 3) because every time I buy another snare, it never reaches the sounds and mojo of the Supra and I sell them off.