DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 12-21-2016, 09:22 PM

Default First kit for my son's 13th birthday

As you can tell from my name I am not a drummer. I am looking to spend under $500 on a complete kit (I know the quality will be poor) because he is new to playing and was wondering if there is any real difference between these two options from Ludwig and PDP. Thank you in advance for any feedback:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/PDP/CENT...=item_page.rr2

http://www.zzounds.com/item--LUDLC175
Old 12-21-2016, 09:51 PM

Default Re: First kit for my son's 13th birthday

With the PDP kit it looks like you will have to buy a seat separately. The Ludwig one has a "drum throne" included in the list of hardware but I don't see one listed in the PDP ad.

Neither one of these kits comes with real cymbals, just some brass placeholders, so that's another future expense to consider.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:59 PM
Platinum Member

Either of those kits will do, and they are just about the only sub $500 'new' options on the market. I have an Accent Combo that I give away about once a year to parents who want to see if their kids take interest.

The part that pains me is that these kits are essentially "free". If you look on CL, you'll see them sell for $100-200 used, and often see people giving them away. You're essentially spending $500 on the drum equivalent of a Squire P-Bass and Rumble-20.

Unfortunately, Option 2 (for new drums) is to spend ~$1500 on a Stage-Custom with Zildjian A's and to take a $500 loss on resale in 1-2 years. This would be analogous to a Mexi P-Bass and Rumble-200.

Whatever path you take, I'm sure your kid will love it, and that's the greatest reward of all.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:01 PM

I have that Ludwig kit in black. Pretty solid kit.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:20 PM
Platinum Member

I think there's not much real difference.
If he sticks with it, he can move up the line with either brand.
Between the two, I would get him started on the Ludwig path.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
Either of those kits will do, and they are just about the only sub $500 'new' options on the market. I have an Accent Combo that I give away about once a year to parents who want to see if their kids take interest.

The part that pains me is that these kits are essentially "free". If you look on CL, you'll see them sell for $100-200 used, and often see people giving them away. You're essentially spending $500 on the drum equivalent of a Squire P-Bass and Rumble-20.

Unfortunately, Option 2 (for new drums) is to spend ~$1500 on a Stage-Custom with Zildjian A's and to take a $500 loss on resale in 1-2 years. This would be analogous to a Mexi P-Bass and Rumble-200.

Whatever path you take, I'm sure your kid will love it, and that's the greatest reward of all.
I love the bass analogies ! Very cool. Thanks ! I think I will go Ludwig just because I am old school.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:06 PM
Administrator - Mayor

Being that it's a first kit for a 13 year old you probably want new. But in my humble opinion both of these are not worth the bother. Does he have a real desire to play and is he going to stick with it. if you aren't sure, you can buy better, used, and get your dollars worth. As said previously the cymbals on the one kit are brass and will sound terrible. If this is not a surprise, talk to your son and see what his feelings are on a better set, used, rather than one of these.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:19 PM
Gold Member

Of those two choices, I'd go with the Ludwig. It will have a little better re sale value one day when you go to sell it. Quality wise they are identical sets.

Last edited by Superman; 12-21-2016 at 11:19 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-21-2016, 11:37 PM

The other school of thought is if you want to derail his desire, buy him the biggest piece of junk you can find. If you want to inspire him, spend as much as your budget will allow. There's a tremendous difference.

Either of those choices will be fine for now. Personally, I'd try to find a Pearl Export on Craigslist from 10 years ago with at least budget B8 cymbals and hardware and replacement heads. Buy used and save. Otherwise, an uninspiring instrument will be your $$ loss on Craigslist someday. Let that be someone else this time and get him something he can be proud of.

(it worked for me)
Old 12-21-2016, 11:42 PM
Silver Member

Either will do although I'd go with the Ludwig. Both are cheap and WILL need better heads. And as others have pointed out, the cymbals are true garbage, basically stamped sheet metal and will sound bad.....real bad. Like CLANK!
Old 12-21-2016, 11:55 PM

The Ludwig power tom screams 'cheap'. At least go with the PDP, as it has normal sized toms.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:12 AM
Platinum Member

To me - power toms are square - 10x10 and 12x12.

The Ludwigs are 10x8 and 12x9 - normal size.

I think the 10x7 and 12x8 of the PDP have only become popular in the last few years.

That size looks good with a 20" bass drum, but I think the 1" deeper toms looks more proportional with a 22" - YMMV
Old 12-22-2016, 02:15 AM
Platinum Member

Bassist,

If you want to link your local craigslist region, you'd have quite a few eyes looking for diamonds in the rough.

Finding the whole she-bang for $500, and having it be something decent, is uncommon but does happen often enough to warrant a quick search.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:36 AM
Gold Member

Both kits will put a smile on your son's face.

Also consider checking out the Pearl Roadshow kits.

http://www.drumcenternh.com/pearl-ro...-metallic.html
Old 12-22-2016, 05:26 AM
Platinum Member

I think you've made a fine choice. My first kit was a Ludwig too. If he likes drumming, I'm sure you'll be buying some used b20 cymBals anyway, and just skip the whole budget B8 cymbal crap.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:34 AM
Platinum Member

Give your son a budget and let him make the choice (subject to parental approval).

I can understand that you may not want to present him with a used kit, given that a used kit for $500 will be a much better kit than a new one, it may be the way to go.

As an added bonus, there will be some life skills lessons to be gained too - value vs. price, how to negotiate with a seller and of course your son would be way more invested in a kit which he had picked out for himself.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
To me - power toms are square - 10x10 and 12x12.

The Ludwigs are 10x8 and 12x9 - normal size.

I think the 10x7 and 12x8 of the PDP have only become popular in the last few years.

That size looks good with a 20" bass drum, but I think the 1" deeper toms looks more proportional with a 22" - YMMV
Perhaps I stand corrected, as I didn't read the description, just looked at the pics. IMHO, that Ludwig pic does not show 8x12 and 9x13 toms. They look to me to be at least 1" deeper. No big deal though.

Either way, both sets would be fine as a beginner set.
Old 12-22-2016, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
Give your son a budget and let him make the choice (subject to parental approval).

I can understand that you may not want to present him with a used kit, given that a used kit for $500 will be a much better kit than a new one, it may be the way to go.
I'm sorry but I do not agree with this. If Bassist was considering a crap kit, it could make sense, but both the Ludwig and the PDP kits are more than fine for starting out.

Yes, you can probably buy a better used kit, but come on, it's a 13 year old kid. You can give him a wrapped voucher that says "good for a drum kit" and then spend a couple of weeks with him looking at classifieds, researching the internet and whatnot, trying to find "the best" kit $500 can buy.

Or you can see your kid's face when you give him a big box (or 2 or 3) and he opens it up and finds a shiny brand new drum set.

There are only a few times in life when we get to see that combination of emotions in our kid's faces. And not many of those times happen after they're 13. Give him the new kit. You'll have plenty of time to research and buy stuff with him (e.g., cymbals) if he gets hooked to drumming.

btw.- I got my first drum kit from my mom during xmas when I was 14. I never ever expected it and it caught me totally off-guard. It was a cheap set and came with no cymbals, but it's the best gift anyone ever gave me. My mom doesn't even remember which brand it was or whether it was good or not. All she talks about is my reaction when opening the box. That's priceless.
Old 12-22-2016, 06:45 PM

You guys are great. I appreciate all the input. I showed him both options and he is excited about the Ludwig in Wine Red. As a bass player, I am looking forward to having an in house drummer to lock in with under the same roof.

Thanks again for all your ideas.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:46 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassist View Post
You guys are great. I appreciate all the input. I showed him both options and he is excited about the Ludwig in Wine Red. As a bass player, I am looking forward to having an in house drummer to lock in with under the same roof.

Excellent. Please keep us posted on the development of the young Jedi drummer. :)
Old 12-23-2016, 03:11 AM
Platinum Member

I think you're awesome, Mr. Bassist!
Old 12-23-2016, 12:08 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fac View Post
I'm sorry but I do not agree with this. If Bassist was considering a crap kit, it could make sense, but both the Ludwig and the PDP kits are more than fine for starting out.

Yes, you can probably buy a better used kit, but come on, it's a 13 year old kid. You can give him a wrapped voucher that says "good for a drum kit" and then spend a couple of weeks with him looking at classifieds, researching the internet and whatnot, trying to find "the best" kit $500 can buy.

Or you can see your kid's face when you give him a big box (or 2 or 3) and he opens it up and finds a shiny brand new drum set.

There are only a few times in life when we get to see that combination of emotions in our kid's faces. And not many of those times happen after they're 13. Give him the new kit. You'll have plenty of time to research and buy stuff with him (e.g., cymbals) if he gets hooked to drumming.

btw.- I got my first drum kit from my mom during xmas when I was 14. I never ever expected it and it caught me totally off-guard. It was a cheap set and came with no cymbals, but it's the best gift anyone ever gave me. My mom doesn't even remember which brand it was or whether it was good or not. All she talks about is my reaction when opening the box. That's priceless.
Good post!! Forums like this get pretty obsessive about getting the absolute best 'sound' possible for any given amount of money. Don't underestimate the effect of shiny and brand new on a young kid. Even if you spent $$$$ on a vintage sought-after Gretsch or something, it is possible that he wouldn't enjoy it as much because of all the dings and scratches...
Old 12-23-2016, 12:23 PM
Silver Member

The Ludwig seems a better option here. I think the picture isn't right actually (older model).
Depending on the size of your son, don't you want a fusion set instead ? With a smaller bass drum and smaller floor : 20x16" 10 12 14" ?
He would feel more at ease I guess.

http://www.baguetterie.fr/ludwig-lc1...5futs-red.html

I perfectly understand the need for a brand new kit at this age and, he may use it longer than we think : with new skins, new cymbals, another cymbal stand for a decent ride in a few years, it will sound good...
Old 12-23-2016, 06:12 PM

[quote=Tamaefx;1476495]The Ludwig seems a better option here. I think the picture isn't right actually (older model).
Depending on the size of your son, don't you want a fusion set instead ? With a smaller bass drum and smaller floor : 20x16" 10 12 14" ?
He would feel more at ease I guess.

Good point, but he is a budding hard rock and metal head. Fav bands are Queen, Rush, Rainbow, and Ozzy - although he likes the Police a lot as well.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
Excellent. Please keep us posted on the development of the young Jedi drummer. :)
Thanks Frank and Wally Young. The jedi is coming along nicely. When he started asking me to play Long Live Rock n Roll by Rainbow or Red Barchetta by Rush at 11 I new he was on the right path.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays drummers of the world !
Old 12-23-2016, 08:50 PM
"Uncle Larry"

When I jam with my son, it's the greatest feeling in the world. It's hard to describe.

Kids won't have Daddy issues if you jam with them lol.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:05 PM
Gold Member

This is a great thread.

And I was really happy to see some people defend getting a brand new kit. It can be a pretty tired chorus here when everyone posts in unison about what a great deal you get with used equipment. These days, with the quality of low end kits, the right answer for a 13 year exploring music for the first time is a beautiful, brand new kit.

Bonus points for this thread if the OP can post video of the moment he receives the kit. :)
Old 12-23-2016, 09:23 PM
Platinum Member

Hey Larry I tried encouraging my kids to play with no avail and I bet playing with your son is a thrill. I like jamming with younger folks though-my daughters boyfriend is 23. He says I play differently than younger drummers of today-ole school he says. Whatever it's fun when we get jamming and grooving along-although I don't have two kits to jam right now. On another note my family tried your secret recipe for "Uncle Larry's hot chocolate"-and I must say it "sleighed" us-and they all say two thumbs up from the Beall Clan. Yummy beyond measure. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassist View Post

Is he getting a Ludwig Junior or a Ludwig Accent for his first set? BTW have you selected what cymbals/sticks you would be getting him?
Old 12-23-2016, 10:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminCamelot View Post
Is he getting a Ludwig Junior or a Ludwig Accent for his first set? BTW have you selected what cymbals/sticks you would be getting him?
Looks like he went with the Accent. They ship with entry level Paiste cymbals.

Once his kid catches 'the fever', we'll direct him to a more mainstream cymbal.

The biggest functional complaint I have about the Accent-bundle is that the throne is not made to withstand >200lbs. Fine for most 13 year olds, but Daddy might need to be careful.
Old 12-25-2016, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
Looks like he went with the Accent. They ship with entry level Paiste cymbals.
If that's true, they're probably PST3s. They're made from brass but very usable for practicing/learning.