Favorite high end drum kit- model and brand?

Gretsch USA Custom, 12/14/18 with matching snare. Finish TBD, but definitely a nitrocellulose gloss lacquer of some kind.

It's just something I've wanted for a long time and it's on my bucket list.

I was thinking Guru too but when I spoke to Andy recently about building my dream kit, Guru particle board ply concert tom kit with sparkle finish and lead lugs, he said he started feeling not so well. Not sure how that turned out but maybe I should just pull up my big boy cape and get a Saturn.

I was thinking Guru too but when I spoke to Andy recently about building my dream kit, Guru particle board ply concert tom kit with sparkle finish and lead lugs,
Now that's my kind of dream kit.

I've only owned 1 high end kit, Yamaha BCAN I had it 5 yr. I think. I really liked it a lot, but I couldn't tell any difference between my 88 model Yamaha Power Tour Custom kit , and the BCAN kit. They were in the same room, with the same type of heads, and of coarse tuned the same. The next good kit I've owned is what I'm playing now. Tama Starclassic Performers. I think they are right up there with both the Yamaha kits too. The BCANs and Tamas are Birch, and the Tour Custom kit is Birch, Mahogany and Birch, so there's some similarities with all of them. I've owed several other older mid line kits in the 70s and 80s. Those earlier kits left a lot to be desired. Now days the mid line kits are much nicer. There are some high end kits that I'd like to try though. but after owning the BCAN kit I've kind of got the pro kit out of my system. There's just not much difference. Phil Ehart once said in a Modern Drummer interview " a drum is a drum"

I have owned several high end kits over the years and have finished my journey for the best drums to my ears (and eyes), settling on five kits. Guru and Tama Star do it for me. My Sonor Pro Lite isn’t far behind.

Attachments

• E4CA7CFF-D06A-41CC-BB5C-82290C6E1F33.jpeg
    E4CA7CFF-D06A-41CC-BB5C-82290C6E1F33.jpeg
    278.1 KB · Views: 276
I have owned several high end kits over the years and have finished my journey for the best drums to my ears (and eyes), settling on five kits. Guru and Tama Star do it for me. My Sonor Pro Lite isn’t far behind.

Is having FIVE kits really settling? hehe. Sorry, couldn't resist.

I was thinking Guru too but when I spoke to Andy recently about building my dream kit, Guru particle board ply concert tom kit with sparkle finish and lead lugs, he said he started feeling not so well. Not sure how that turned out but maybe I should just pull up my big boy cape and get a Saturn.
Hahahaha = fabulous!!!!

:)

Guru drums are a thing of beauty. I'd love to own a kit some day. Fabulous sound PLUS you're playing a piece of art.
Blushing :)

That said, I'm a "most bang for the buck" kind of person. For me, the most band for the buck kits are the "upper low end" to mid-tier ones. The PDP Concept Maple/Birch kits and Yamaha Stage Customs are in the "upper low end" and can be purchased for such little money, its crazy. The mid tier kits that are great bang for the buck are Gretsch Renown, Tama B/B, Mapex Saturn, Yamaha Tour Custom, Pearl Masters, DW Design, etc...

I agree with this thinking. Advances in manufacturing means that a Stage Custom or a Concept Maple kit of today can be equivalent in quality to a mid tier kit from yesteryear. The mid tier kits add in a few little touches of quality (like floor tom memory locks, do these things add so much to the cost to justify leaving them off of the upper low end kits?) and quality wise are equivalent to a higher end kit from 20-30 years ago.

The only thing you lose on is configurability of sizes and the selection of finishes, but they are coming out with nicer finishes on the low mid to mid range kits too.

Guru drums are a thing of beauty. I'd love to own a kit some day. Fabulous sound PLUS you're playing a piece of art.

Art, yes. Playable art lol. People really respond to my segmented walnut kit. I've seen this kit stop people dead in their tracks. I could count the comments on every other set on one hand. These make up for it in spades. It's to the point where if I don't hear some kind of positive remark about my drums, that's an anomaly.

Extraordinary collection of drum kits, SFM! The Unix Stave (Brown) Walnut kit is over the top!

Oh my that Unix walnut stave kit! Snare paired with the kit isn’t too shabby either if it sounds like mine.

Thanks guys!

And steadypocket, I agree, that snare is not too shabby.

My favorite drum kit from a big company is the Tama Starclassic Maple.

Tama Starclassic Maple + Tama Bell Brass

I also really like Yamaha Recording Custom drums.

Yamaha Recording Custom + Tama Bell Brass

But at the moment, nothing beats my Unix Drums.

Unix Stave Walnut Drums

Unix Stave Oak Drums

Unix Stave Bubinga Drums

Unix Stave Anigré Bop Kit

Is it me or is there something slightly ironic about owning several Unix kits ;)
Man those things are amazing looking!

Is it me or is there something slightly ironic about owning several Unix kits ;)
Man those things are amazing looking!

Thanks J-Boogie!

Francois does really great work :)

François speaks highly of Dean and you.

What a great collection!

Do you own any of the newer singly ply Unix ?

I would love to hear that walnut kit as well.

Again, belle sélection !

Merci Groove-E!

I don't have a solid ply kit yet, but I have a snare.

Unix Steambent Maple Black High Gloss 14X6

Back