DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 06-01-2017, 08:09 AM

Default Question about Stick Angles Relative to the Drum

I recently bought a book, it is "Stick technique" by Bill Bachman.

In the topic "Stick Angles Relative to the Drum", he mention "Both sticks should point down toward the drum at about a 10 degree ange", "The flatter the angle the sticks are relative to the drum, the more rebound. The steeper the angle, the less rebound. While it might seem that the more rebound the better, it's good to have some leverage over the stick for when you want to play down int the drum or to set yourself up for downstrokes that stop lower to the drum. The 10-degree angle gives you this leverage while still maintaining great rebound."

Why is 10-degree not 0-degree?
And I don't know What relationship between leverage and 10-degree rebound?
Old 06-01-2017, 10:06 AM

Default Re: Question about Stick Angles Relative to the Drum

I think a 0 degree angle would cause your stick to get caught on the rim of the drum.

Apart from that, he seems to be saying that a little bit of downward pressure will prevent the sticks from flying back up in an uncontrolled way. He's talking about downstrokes specifically? So the stick is not supposed to rebound back up to it's original position? (I don't have the book so maybe I'm misunderstanding).
Old 06-01-2017, 10:39 AM
Administrator - Mayor

You have to take into account your hand is holding the stick so 0 degrees is not really attainable. Your hands would have to be below the drum and since the rim is above the head there has to be some angle.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:54 AM
Platinum Member

Yes rims, and even on a pad the shaft or shoulder would hit before the tip of the stick.

I've seen some classical guys teach someting tat looks more lik 70 degrees LOL..., but anyway...

Quote:
And I don't know What relationship between leverage and 10-degree rebound?
Rebound is desireable and you do whatever gives you the control you want/need. It's not math and it's not rocket science. Just work on it and evaluate what works.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:10 PM
Platinum Member

I don't care about rebound, I care about sound. Contacting the head at a flatter angle gives a better sound. I have no idea what exact degree of angle I use-- I just come in as flat as I can, without hitting rim shots-- unless I want to hit rim shots.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:45 PM
Administrator - Mayor

I have found round tips allow a better sound than oval tipped sticks at all angles. Using oval and being too high leaves only a very small bit of tip hitting the drum. I always try to get round or acorn when possible
Old 06-01-2017, 11:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I have found round tips allow a better sound than oval tipped sticks at all angles. Using oval and being too high leaves only a very small bit of tip hitting the drum. I always try to get round or acorn when possible
I have found the opposite personally. Lots of the bead-tip sticks have a really anemic small sound and the acorn or larger tips bring a bit more meat to the note, this is more noticeable on cymbals and especially the ride.

Guess it depends what you're going for, but in all cases, a round tip shouldn't be a crutch for incorrect stick angles and technique. There's more than just the tip shape involved with the overall sound.