DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:34 AM

Default Re: Your "go to" snare

6,5"x 14" Supraphonic,
I had one for twenty years or so,then sold it,
played my Gretsch 5"x14" brass snare which
is a great snare, but I wanted a Supraphonic again,
and I won't sell the new one that I bought, it's just
something with the tone of it, it's perfect to me.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:42 AM
Silver Member

I guess my go to snare would be my DW steambent solid maple '04 era, 5.5 x 14. I swapped out the DW drop throw for a Gibraltar/Dunnett R4C throw off. Big difference.

I also like my Tama S.L.P. 14 x 5 Super Aluminum seamless. Very nice instrument especially for the price.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:03 AM

I go between a 5x14 Rogers Luxor (Blue Sparkle),Tama SuperStar birch 8x14 (circa 1985) or a Pearl Sensitone Brass 5.5x14, it depends on my mood as to which snare I bring out, I've been known to switch out at the second set!
Old 01-19-2017, 09:26 AM
Matt Bo Eder

Right now it's a 6.5x14 Pearl Reference Pure maple. My side snare is a 6.5x14 Pearl Hybrid Exotic Aluminum.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:39 AM
JohnoWorld

Thanks for all your excellent replies guys, great contributions.

To answer one question, no this is not a willy-waving thread as I started it with my £250 Ebay sourced Sonor Artist Steel. Others have also shown that it's not price or "being the best" here, it's what snare works for you in almost all situations. Despite all your other snares, which one do you always come back to?

I will certainly be researching some of the ones listed on here, some I have owned as well and regret selling.

I think the over-riding theme is metal snares though \m/

Here is a terrible pic of my current go-to-guy
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2017, 09:44 AM

Nothing beats 6.5" hammered bronze or LM402 for music I currently play.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:33 PM
Platinum Member

I use my Tiki 14x6.5 steambent I got on the drum building course he does in Brighton. It's 10 lug and has radio king style lugs on it. I'd say built but I paid extra for the steambent shell and was worth every penny. I just did the bearing edges, snare beds and a bit of drilling/assembly.

It sounds amazing tuned high, low or anywhere in between.

Other than that I occasionally bring the 400 and 402 out of retirement.

I'm happy to announce the Tiki is getting a sister later this year after I'm married. The fiancée asked what I'd like for a wedding present so I'm going to do the course again and get a 14x6.5 stave Walnut while she does a Spa weekend. Had a chat with Preston and he recommended it.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:36 PM

Right now a 5.5x14 Yamaha brass, 2000's era or so. Coated ambassador tuned to medium, maybe medium-high-ish

Great little drum you don't hear much about them, or see them that much
Old 01-19-2017, 04:47 PM
JohnoWorld

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingBeat View Post
Right now a 5.5x14 Yamaha brass, 2000's era or so. Coated ambassador tuned to medium, maybe medium-high-ish

I've never bought a Yamaha (other than the stage custom kit) but I tried some snare over in Vancouver years ago as I was going to bring it back with me. In the end i didn't as it was too much hassle but I tried at least 15 and my favourites were the Yamaha Copper and Yamaha brass.

Copper seemed to have a little more body than the brass IMO but both were awesome. Don't really know why I didn't revisit them, perhaps now is the time!
Old 01-19-2017, 05:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
You have fewer than 10 snares, but you don't know for sure exactly how many? Oh Nick...
I have no idea how many I'm up to. I just bought a Rogers so that puts me up to 9 or 10... not really sure.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 01-19-2017, 07:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
You have fewer than 10 snares, but you don't know for sure exactly how many? Oh Nick...
It's like ex girlfriends, I always seem to forget about one or two of them if they aren't standing right in front of me. :p
YouTube
Old 01-19-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonni View Post
It's like ex girlfriends, I always seem to forget about one or two of them if they aren't standing right in front of me. :p
Just don't make the mistake of taking two of them out on the same night.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:07 PM
Gold Member

I have three, for different reasons.

For the studio it's currently either my 14x6.5 Black Beauty or 14x5 Supraphonic. Both cover a lot of angles.

For live it's a very inexpensive (but sounds great) 14x6.5 Pearl Steel snare, with 30 strand puresound wires- but that would change if I wasn't pretty much exclusivly doing 'rock' gigs.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:00 PM
Gold Member

This is my current go to. 14x6.5 Yamaha Maple Custom. I normally don't use wood snares, but this one is great. Sounds great down low/medium-low, which is where I usually keep it, and the quality is fantastic. I am actually looking for a bass drum in this finish. Just throwing that out there.
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2017, 10:38 PM
Ghostnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedaclutch View Post
This is my current go to. 14x6.5 Yamaha Maple Custom. I normally don't use wood snares, but this one is great. Sounds great down low/medium-low, which is where I usually keep it, and the quality is fantastic. I am actually looking for a bass drum in this finish. Just throwing that out there.
Yeah, the 1st gen Maple Custom stuff can't be beat. I used to have the 5x13 maple Weckl drum in that finish and it was absolutely fantastic. I was foolish to have gotten rid of it. I still have my 90's 10,14,20 Maple Custom kit and despite its diminutive size, that kit can do it all. I played many loud hard rock gigs with that kit and they cut through no problem. It still sounds as good as any other kit I've ever played. Hope you find your bass drum.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:17 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I have 3 - 14 x 7 snares that see gig action:

Guru Ash steambent
Guru Padauk segmented
Guru Walnut segmented

The Holy Trinity

Kind of predictable.
Three Guru snares. That's just wrong!
Old 01-20-2017, 04:29 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadypocket View Post
Three Guru snares. That's just wrong!
Says the guy with...how many Guru snares are you up to now?

Rich I have a photo of you on my phone, I was just looking at it today. It's you in my studio with your prize Guru Santos Rosewood snare.

You know, the one that Andy had to wear the spaceman suit to make lol?

But it's your smile that kind of says it all.

Can I post it here?
Old 01-20-2017, 04:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingBeat View Post

I had one and you're right they are great drums. I only sold mine to put towards the purchase of a Joyful Noise Brass.
The 80's-90's 6.5 x 14 Brass Yamaha's are great though I've seen more than one of them with a crack. Maybe a bad run of shells ?
Old 01-20-2017, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
Ludwig Supra 5 x 14
I own few snares (2 or 3) because every time I buy another snare, it never reaches the sounds and mojo of the Supra and I sell them off.
I can relate to that. Just recently replaced both skins on my Supra and I [re]discovered the perfect sound I was looking for...
Old 01-20-2017, 06:25 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostnote View Post
Yeah, the 1st gen Maple Custom stuff can't be beat. I used to have the 5x13 maple Weckl drum in that finish and it was absolutely fantastic. I was foolish to have gotten rid of it. I still have my 90's 10,14,20 Maple Custom kit and despite its diminutive size, that kit can do it all. I played many loud hard rock gigs with that kit and they cut through no problem. It still sounds as good as any other kit I've ever played. Hope you find your bass drum.
Thank you señor. I have the 10" tom and 14" floor tom to match, but I can't find a bass drum. They were orphans, probably from a loving home, but Mama was gone.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
Is this not simply becoming a bragging competition for who has the oldest, or rarest, or most expensive, or most desirable snare?
That's what the thread about my snares is for. I have older and more expensive snares plus some custom stuff but the Supra is my gal Friday right now. I keep saying I want to take another snare to a gig but I have that Supra dialed in juuuust right.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 01-20-2017, 07:52 PM

Tama 13x5-1/2 with nickle plated die cast hoops.

Name:  DSCF1352.JPG
Views: 257
Size:  72.7 KB

Name:  DSCF1353.JPG
Views: 267
Size:  73.8 KB
Old 01-21-2017, 03:45 AM
Gold Member

My Yamaha Steve Jordan signature snare with wood hoops. It tames my rimshots ust right :)
Old 01-21-2017, 04:37 AM
Platinum Member

14 x 6.5 Supra (2011) for the cover band and rock music - versatile.

14 x 5 Pearl Bronze for the 50's band.

13 x 6.5 Metro jarrah stave snare for jazz gigs (not very often!)
Old 01-22-2017, 02:44 AM
Silver Member

I've pared my humble collection down to 3 snares. I know I'll get more in time but these 3 are keepers for me and between them I can cover virtually anything I want to play.

DW custom 15 x 6.5 Mahogany / Gum - Tuned low and fat I've never heard a 14" snare achieve the depth of sound of this one. It simply has soul.

Guru 14 x 7 segmented In-Tense Ovangkol - Incredible midrange with balanced and pleasing highs and lows and with a resonance I've never experienced from any other snare I've played. It has a unique voice yet is so versatile...how Andy and Dean of Guru create that I'll never know but they do it very well. The only word that comes to my mind when I hear it...beautiful.

Dunnett 14 x 6.5 Classic Blued Steel - Lovely snare. Steel is my favorite metal snare sound and Ron Dunnett does steel extremely well. Great tuning range and extremely versatile but I find I use it more often when I play rock.

So, which is my "go to snare"? That's easy. My Guru...no question.
Attached Images

Old 01-22-2017, 06:10 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonni View Post
OK, the version of this story you told me in person was better than what you actually posted.... lol
Old 01-22-2017, 04:44 PM
Ghostnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2112 View Post
I've pared my humble collection down to 3 snares. I know I'll get more in time but these 3 are keepers for me and between them I can cover virtually anything I want to play.

DW custom 15 x 6.5 Mahogany / Gum - Tuned low and fat I've never heard a 14" snare achieve the depth of sound of this one. It simply has soul.

Guru 14 x 7 segmented In-Tense Ovangkol - Incredible midrange with balanced and pleasing highs and lows and with a resonance I've never experienced from any other snare I've played. It has a unique voice yet is so versatile...how Andy and Dean of Guru create that I'll never know but they do it very well. The only word that comes to my mind when I hear it...beautiful.

Dunnett 14 x 6.5 Classic Blued Steel - Lovely snare. Steel is my favorite metal snare sound and Ron Dunnett does steel extremely well. Great tuning range and extremely versatile but I find I use it more often when I play rock.

So, which is my "go to snare"? That's easy. My Guru...no question.
Yeah, in Andy's last round of comparison videos, I thought the ash/ovankol drums were a cut above the rest.

I have a 15" Dunnett steel drum too, and though it only sounds good in certain rooms, it sounds good in my basement so it's been the pick of the litter lately. Usually I prefer my $200 5x15 Supralite, but the tables are turned- in my basement, it's the Supralite that sounds like doo doo. That's why I could never have the ONE snare drum to rule them all. Same with cymbals...
Old 01-22-2017, 05:21 PM
Silver Member

I'm a bit of a snare drum addict. I have well over twenty absolutely incredible snare drums, each with its own voice and character. I love to enjoy the differences in tone and feel so I rotate through them depending upon mood and which ones I haven't played in a while. If pushed, I'd have to call out one of the Guru padauk drums as my "go to" wood drum. Used to single out my JN TKO as my fave metal drum but the more I play that Van Kleef All-titanium drum ...

Oh, and I have to give a shout out to my DW Collector's 10/6 maple drum that matches one of my kits. I keep that kit at a warehouse where my band rehearses. In comparison to some of the drums I own, this one would be classified as a rather plain Jane, yet it always delivers. I'm awed by the depth of its woody crack when tuned relatively high.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:43 PM
Platinum Member

I've whittled down my arsenal to 6 snares. They are all workhorses in their own right. However, the two that get the most action are the 14x5 Supra and 14x5 Classic Maple.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:56 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
I'm a bit of a snare drum addict. I have well over twenty absolutely incredible snare drums, each with its own voice and character. I love to enjoy the differences in tone and feel so I rotate through them depending upon mood and which ones I haven't played in a while. If pushed, I'd have to call out one of the Guru padauk drums as my "go to" wood drum. Used to single out my JN TKO as my fave metal drum but the more I play that Van Kleef All-titanium drum ...

Oh, and I have to give a shout out to my DW Collector's 10/6 maple drum that matches one of my kits. I keep that kit at a warehouse where my band rehearses. In comparison to some of the drums I own, this one would be classified as a rather plain Jane, yet it always delivers. I'm awed by the depth of its woody crack when tuned relatively high.
Rich you owe it to yourself to get one of Andy's walnut snares. I am completely hooked on walnut, for snares, bass and toms. I almost don't know why maple is so much more prevalent, walnut beats the snot out of maple in every single way IMO. I mean it's not even close.

I have been gigging the walnut for the past 6 gigs or so, and the tone...I love the way it sits in the mix on the recordings. It's got this chunky sound, with a longer note than you would think from walnut. I have to say...speaking from my perceptions today (subject to change)....the walnut segmented is my best sounding snare, going off my field recordings. To my ear walnut easily beats maple, birch, and ash. The padauk is pretty darn close, but again, walnut has the edge to my ear.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:01 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

Rich, I'd love to see some photos of all your amazing snares.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:14 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Rich you owe it to yourself to get one of Andy's walnut snares. I am completely hooked on walnut, for snares, bass and toms. I almost don't know why maple is so much more prevalent, walnut beats the snot out of maple in every single way IMO. I mean it's not even close.

I have been gigging the walnut for the past 6 gigs or so, and the tone...I love the way it sits in the mix on the recordings. It's got this chunky sound, with a longer note than you would think from walnut. I have to say...speaking from my perceptions today (subject to change)....the walnut segmented is my best sounding snare, going off my field recordings. To my ear walnut easily beats maple, birch, and ash. The padauk is pretty darn close, but again, walnut has the edge to my ear.
I've been talking with Andy on drum sets. Discussing woods and constructions and listening to many different drum sets...and not all Guru drums either. To my ear, those Guru walnuts are a stand out favorite to say the least...and where I believe I'm going to land on. ;-)
Old 01-22-2017, 06:23 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostnote View Post
Yeah, in Andy's last round of comparison videos, I thought the ash/ovankol drums were a cut above the rest.

I have a 15" Dunnett steel drum too, and though it only sounds good in certain rooms, it sounds good in my basement so it's been the pick of the litter lately. Usually I prefer my $200 5x15 Supralite, but the tables are turned- in my basement, it's the Supralite that sounds like doo doo. That's why I could never have the ONE snare drum to rule them all. Same with cymbals...
I agree. It's amazing how different a snare can sound in one space but take it to a different space, don't change anything about the snare, and yet it sounds totally different. I've found I have different tunings for different venues.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:10 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2112 View Post
I've been talking with Andy on drum sets. Discussing woods and constructions and listening to many different drum sets...and not all Guru drums either. To my ear, those Guru walnuts are a stand out favorite to say the least...and where I believe I'm going to land on. ;-)

Yea, walnut is really in a whole other....higher....class of tonewood IMO. It is without a doubt my #1 recommendation for a drum wood.

The low end on the toms and bass....I can't imagine anything better. The snare...O the snare...joy and rapture in equal measure.

Imagine listening back to a recording and getting off with every backbeat. The money I spent on the walnut snare flows back to me in the form of aural pleasure with every snare hit.

In that sense, the snare was a bargain.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:41 PM

Easy !

Either my Yamaha Elvin Jones Signature or my 13x7 Brady Jarrah/Lemon block
Old 01-22-2017, 10:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Yea, walnut is really in a whole other....higher....class of tonewood IMO. It is without a doubt my #1 recommendation for a drum wood.

The low end on the toms and bass....I can't imagine anything better. The snare...O the snare...joy and rapture in equal measure.

Imagine listening back to a recording and getting off with every backbeat. The money I spent on the walnut snare flows back to me in the form of aural pleasure with every snare hit.

In that sense, the snare was a bargain.
If your testimony, and the recent Guru You Tube recordings are any measure, walnut speaks to me. My only hesitancy (aside from no disposable drum funds at the moment) is that my Star walnut stave is just so so. Good drum but not stellar. Nowhere near as pleasing as my other Star drums, which are bubinga, or the maple steambent Star drum I've played, which also sounds terrific. Why doesn't the walnut? Just plants a seed of doubt.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:26 PM

Tama Reissue Rosewood 14x6.5
Old 01-22-2017, 10:30 PM
Platinum Member

DW 10 ply 6x14 Maple snare.

Once I bought this snare, I never felt a need to buy more.

I used to think one day I'd have a big snare collection, but with the DW maple, I discovered there was no point in having a collection, because this does it all.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:44 PM
The SunDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
DW 10 ply 6x14 Maple snare.

Once I bought this snare, I never felt a need to buy more.

I used to think one day I'd have a big snare collection, but with the DW maple, I discovered there was no point in having a collection, because this does it all.

+++++1. I have this snare, 14x6 natural satin, and it is truly versatile! My current "go to" however is a DW 14x8 BNOB. I'm stuck on deep snares right now.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:47 AM
Silver Member

Many favs, my current go-to short-list:

Craviotto solid cherry, 6.5x14
Ludwig BB, 6.5x14
Unix segment walnut/maple, 7x14
Craviotto solid beech/maple, 7x14