DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 10-03-2016, 08:40 PM

Default Calf Cramping

So lately when I play, either at practice or live show, my tibialis anterior cramps up. Its the muscle in your shins. It starts burning and playing the bass drum becomes extremely painful. I play primarily heel-toe. Any tips or advice? Been playing for ten years relatively pain free. I suspect its my drum throne height. I know when I sit too low, my hips hurts.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:35 PM

Default Re: Calf Cramping

Throne height is important, but also take a look at the position of your bass drum. Ideally your bass drum should be aimed off to the right if you play it with your right foot, or to the left if you're a lefty.

If your bass drum is in the centre then you will have to bend your foot at an awkward angle to play the pedal.
Old 10-04-2016, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headbanger View Post
Throne height is important, but also take a look at the position of your bass drum. Ideally your bass drum should be aimed off to the right if you play it with your right foot, or to the left if you're a lefty.

If your bass drum is in the centre then you will have to bend your foot at an awkward angle to play the pedal.
Huh, I didn't think of that! Thanks a lot, I'll try to adjust accordingly and see how it goes.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:45 PM

Had the same thing happen while playing heel down. The Angle of the pedal board is too steep. My cheap @$$ throne was as high as it would go. I found myself trying to artificially hold my leg higher to play more with my toe, but that was causing hip pain. I finally got a new, taller throne and play more heel-toe and haven't had any more problems.

While my bass drum points straight forward, I actually face maybe 30 degrees toward the hi-hat side.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:58 PM
Platinum Member

Sounds a lot like shin splints. With your heel planted, rapidly tap the front half of your foot... this will loosen the shin muscles. Also, keep hydrated and stretch out your legs - quads, hammies, calfs, everything!!
Old 10-05-2016, 08:18 AM
bud7h4
This message has been deleted by bud7h4. Reason: meh
Old 10-05-2016, 02:42 PM
JohnoWorld

I have knee, shin, calf, hamstring and hip issues all because I have loose joints.

I have also had 4 shoulder operations so I keep all my gear within a reachable area.

With regards to shins, I can't actually find a place with my throne and pedals where I am 100% comfortable. Every day i practice my shin hurts, so I play heels up for a bit.

Then my arse bone starts to hurt.

My only way of dealing with it is to stretch properly beforehand. Calves, hips, ankles, thighs, back, shoulders. It is quite a ritual, but it works, I really notice it when I cannot be arsed to do that.
Old 10-10-2016, 05:59 AM

Had a similar problem last nite, after a gig at a local mountain saloon, The Little Bear, which has been an eclectic music venue in our part of the country (Evergreen, Colorado, USA) for over 40 years, and where our band has appeared 5 times over the past year and a half. As much as we enjoy playing there, the problem as I see it, is that their drummer's riser is not deep enough, to allow me to fully stretch out my right foot. I am literally up against a large mirror directly behind, and have to play IMHO, much closer to the kick, than I normally do. No doubt the riser was designed for 14" deep kicks, which are not the norm these days. Mine is a 20" x 16". I feel for the drummers playing there with 18" deep kicks. I have fairly long legs and arms. (34" inseam and sleeve length). Most of the time I play heel down, though there are some numbers where I play heel up. After returning home, I went to bed, but was awakened when the entire inside of my right thigh cramped up, so much so, that it was very painful, particularly when I tried to get out of bed. Needed to take a muscle relaxant to return to sleep. Drank plenty of H20 and even had a banana prior to taking the stage.

Last edited by Stefan Brodsky; 10-10-2016 at 06:15 AM.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:05 AM
Gold Member

What works for me is the old fashioned remedy of tonic water. The quinine ib it seems to do the trick. If I'm playing in a bar I just order a gin and tonic (without the gin).I'm also taking Quinine sulfate tablets before bed so I don't get cramps in the middle of the night.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:15 PM

Not at all discounting any of the technique and positioning advice give above, but I used to regularly suffer from muscles locking up and cramping.

I almost never have any problem with that anymore, and I chalk it all up to relaxation. I didn't realize at the time how tightly I was wound when I played, but now that I can play without stressing out all the time, I can't remember the last time I had any muscle problems.

If none of the above advice works...really focus on staying loose and see if it makes a difference. Playing a hard, accurate shot on a drum takes way less effort than I could have imagined when I began drumming..
Old 10-20-2016, 12:46 AM
Matt Bo Eder

When I turned 48 (two years ago), the yearly blood test and physical revealed that my body wasn't producing enough potassium, and my bass drum calf would cramp up from time-to-time. The doctor put me on potassium supplements (unless I wanted to consume a couple of bananas daily) and I started to watch what I eat and drink, and a lot of those muscles issues subsided. It could be a technique problem for you, but it doesn't hurt to get with your doctor to make sure the body has what it needs.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:53 PM

My most recent blog post might provide you some information. As everyone else says, there are diet/biological factors, but you really are going to want to look at your technique.

http://johnlambdrums.com/drumming-shin-splints/