DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 09-30-2016, 08:57 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: Should i teach drums at my age and level

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetAgrippa View Post
Interesting Bermuda. I think you would make an excellent teacher now given your insights. I think you would enjoy it more than you think.
Thank you, l hope that my insights are passed along through education, which I try do in clinics, and more informally when I meet other musicians, and in forums. And I do enjoy that! But that's different than teaching.

I occasionally think it might make sense for me between tours, but I really don't have the patience to nurture someone's pursuits on a weekly basis. I'd probably be more satisfied working with an advanced drummer and bring him back down to 2 & 4... sort of like deprogramming a vicious dog. :) Then I could turn them loose on the gigging scene and take a percentage of all the money they make. Hmmm, that's an idea... Bermuda's 'Crush Your Spirit' Drumming Course!

Bermuda
Old 09-30-2016, 11:27 PM
Platinum Member

Many of us who teach have students come to us after they have studied with less experienced teachers. Some of the comments from these students (sometimes after just one lesson with me) are:

"My last teacher wasn't structured. It seemed like he/she was making it up as he went."

"With my last teacher, we didn't read music. I had to remember everything. I don't think he was a strong reader himself."

"With my last teacher, we sort of read music - he has his own system (which looked like hieroglyphics) for notating music.

"My last teacher said that reading and rudiments were not important unless I was in marching band."

"My teacher wasn't really a drummer. He was a guitarist, but also taught drums, bass, keyboard, and voice."

"I wish my last teacher addressed correct technique."

"We only went part way in this book, then stopped. I don't think my teacher was comfortable with anything beyond the basic concepts."

When these students ask my opinion about their progress with the former teacher, I never try to be negative. I usually say something such as, "Everyone has a different teaching style." However, it becomes clear that they are not pleased with their prior experience. They are embarrassed that they didn't see the difference between a professional instructor and someone much less experienced (often charging the same rate). Basically, I just get them motivated and reassure them that their progress will move much faster now.

Remember that you want to be known as a professional, which may mean studying a few more years. That way, when you establish yourself as a teacher, you will be looked at in a positive light.

Jeff

Last edited by jeffwj; 10-01-2016 at 04:49 AM.
Old 10-01-2016, 12:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by porky View Post
I wanna ask, espescially at a younger age, how would you approach the people in convincing that youre a serious teacher to start with?
And here lies your biggest hurdle. Knowing your current experience level on the instrument, I'd be lying if I said that handing over money would be an easy thing to do. You simply don't know enough yourself yet to "teach".........and it shows. However, that doesn't mean you can't get someone started and in turn get your own method started for the future in the process.

Be upfront about your own abilities and level of experience. Be honest about what you can and can't actually teach someone. Be realistic about how far you'll be able to take someone before your own limitations hinder you. And above all, be realistic (especially to yourself) about what, if anything, you can actually charge (nothing wrong with 'cutting your teeth' with a local kid for nothing in order to gain some experience and figure out your own methodology yourself).

After that, come what may.
Old 10-01-2016, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
I'd probably be more satisfied working with an advanced drummer and bring him back down to 2 & 4... sort of like deprogramming a vicious dog. :)
Bermuda
I can see you doing a Cesar Milan type TV show, The Musician Whisperer. Not just for drummers but also arrogant singers, guitarists who keep turning up their volume, bassists who try to wing it without learning the songs...
Old 10-01-2016, 02:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwj View Post
They are embarrassed that they didn't see the difference between a professional instructor and someone much less experienced (often charging the same rate).
Jeff
You just got me thinking. Anyone can become a teacher of musical instruments.
I played harmonica for about two months. I could hang up a sign in my front yard advertising harmonica lessons.

It's sad and scary at the same time.

Old 10-01-2016, 04:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Jim View Post
You just got me thinking. Anyone can become a teacher of musical instruments.
I played harmonica for about two months. I could hang up a sign in my front yard advertising harmonica lessons.

It's sad and scary at the same time.

When potential students contact me, I always remind them to compare credentials since there are no certifications needed to teach. While there are plenty of qualified instructors in most towns, there are also those who "play a little" and think it will be easy money. However, many don't realize the money that some of us have spent acquiring the knowledge and skills necessary to play and teach.

Music stores often need to qulickly fill the spot when an instructor leaves (and before the students look elsewhere). Many big name stores pay so little that they cannot get/keep qualified instructors. There are some exceptions. But when a qualified teacher decides to leave, the store often needs to fill the position with anyone they can find. Students just assume that (since they are at a store) the instructor is qualified.

Jeff

Last edited by jeffwj; 10-01-2016 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:02 AM
Platinum Member

The only drummers I studied with were drummers whose playing I admired/enjoyed, whether it was after seeing them live, or hearing them on a record.

When someone comes up to you after hearing you play/perform and asks if you teach, THEN you can start teaching IF you think you have something to offer to a student in the way of a method of some sort..
Old 10-01-2016, 05:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumming sort of person View Post
The only drummers I studied with were drummers whose playing I admired/enjoyed, whether it was after seeing them live, or hearing them on a record.

When someone comes up to you after hearing you play/perform and asks if you teach, THEN you can start teaching IF you think you have something to offer to a student in the way of a method of some sort..
+1

There are many ways to learn an instrument, each to there own. I have also learned from the guys I like to hear. The ears are the greatest learning tool we have and for me they are the only instructor I have ever needed. If it sounds right/good, then for me it is.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:07 PM

Yes, provided you are constantly upgrading your playing skills and knowledge, and you too are willing to learn.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFFF View Post
Yes, provided you are constantly upgrading your playing skills and knowledge, and you too are willing to learn.
If you're not doing that, you're regressing.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:33 PM
Platinum Member

When I started to learn to play drums, I had a lifetime of learning and playing piano behind me, including reading, writing and composing. No matter how drum-tastic my teacher was, I wouldn't have considered trusting them with my drumming if they were less musically educated than I was.

Ladies & gentlemen, I've suffered for my art. Now it's your turn (Neil Innes)
Old 10-01-2016, 11:58 PM
Platinum Member

Helping others that don't have anyone else, sure.

Serious teaching, I'd say NO.

Personally, I don't Even think good players without real teaching chops should do it. I've seen too many weird things. There are two groups, though.

People can be of specialized hjelp even if they're not the greatest teachers, but teaching all sorts of stuents at all levels with different challenges is something different.

Offcourse, experience is the best teacher, even for teachers. You don't have to be the best musician, but you should understand the instrument.

Last edited by Odd-Arne Oseberg; 10-02-2016 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Since you have first hand experience, I wanna ask, espescially at a younger age, how would you approach the people in convincing that youre a serious teacher to start with?
You get referrals from people who know your abilities and background. At your age, you won't get anywhere offering your services to strangers. So there's a qualifier right there -- you have to have some credibility with someone in order to connect with potential students. Maybe your school music teacher could refer a younger student to you?

Quite frankly, I know plenty of musicians who ask the same question as adults. It's not easy getting started in teaching, unless you're attached to a music store or school, until you have enough students to get some word-of-mouth reputation in the form of parents recommending you to other parents.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:49 PM

I had a fantastic first teacher. He then went off touring with his band and the place that he taught at replaced him with a young lad. I lasted two lessons with the young lad. He lacked confidence, had no structure, and had far too little experience. It felt like I was getting the lessons he was having from his teacher second hand. Nothing was at all personalised. I tried another place, but there was no reading and it felt amateur.
I tried to continue alone, but lacked the motivation to push myself on and so my playing dwindled.
Then my original teacher came back on the scene with his own studio and I started lessons again. I now look forward to every lesson and can't get enough practice in! I'm completely fired up again. A good teacher puts a lot of effort into the lessons and focuses on what you need. After I broke my wrist badly, my teacher even came up with exercises that I can do with just feet and one hand to keep me going until my cast is off.
At 15 I think you can probably help youngsters that are complete beginners and gain some experience in teaching, but I'd not put yourself out as a teacher just yet.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:37 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Anyways, songs i can currently play smoothly for example are

-Smells like teen spirit
-The pretender
-Bohemian Rhapsody
-Some groovy Bossa Novas

I can basically play rock some times with no issues, at most so far iv'e needed to check a video/see a music sheet to learn the beat

I'm not good enough to play something like whiplash (hank levy), in the sense that ill probably need to take 2 to 3 weeks to learn the song smoothly, like 2 3 days a week? I don't really play jazz either, unless the drum groove is very groovy like Bossa Nova, which i play some Bossa Novas here and there
This is where I keep getting hung up. You can really only play 3 songs on the drums. I have no idea how well you can play them, but even if you can play them exactly note-for-note, it's only 3 songs.

You've admitted that you can't play jazz, so that means you can only play the most basic rock beat, and a bossa nova beat. What happens when the student wants to learn something that isn't one of the 3 songs you know?

What if a drummer wants to play a blues song, or wants to work on jazz for their school jazz band? What if they want to play something funky? You said that you can't really read music, so what if they bring in a snare exercise, or a concert band piece?

I'm not doubting your commitment, or that you have the right personality skills to teach, but you are very much a beginner, and have much to learn yourself. Again, I don't know your playing, but if you can only play 3 songs, I'm willing to be that your technique isn't perfect yet (don't worry, it takes years to get your technique right). Even if someone wanted to learn one of the 3 songs that you know, you could be teaching them some bad habits, that you haven't learned to avoid yet.

If I were you, I would find a teacher and learn how to read, learn music theory, and focus on your technique and technical skills. Those will help you become a better drummer. When you are at a point when you can read, understand music, and have a rock-solid technique, then you can think about teaching.