Import Duty from UK to USA?

DrumDoug

I am going to buy a Porter & Davies Gigster. If I buy it directly from the manufacture's website, it's about $300 less than I can get it anywhere here is the US, even with the shipping. However I have no idea how much import duty I will have to pay. I've looked around online and can't find anything very helpful. Does anyone know how much I will pay for an item that's around £700?

Hi Doug

I've done the US - UK route a few times for the same reason you're doing the UK - US route, over here they calculate it once the item arrives, exchange rates I think.

I'd give your customs and excise a call or send them an e-mail just to be sure. The courier might be able to help as well.

You don't want any unexpected costs.

The exchange rate is around $1.40 per British Pound currently so 700 pounds will be around $980.00. Not such a great deal anymore, is it?

The exchange rate is around $1.40 per British Pound currently so 700 pounds will be around $980.00. Not such a great deal anymore, is it?

The OP is on about the import charge you get if you buy from another country after you've paid for the goods and shipping. You have to pay the import duty before you can receive your goods.

Governments aren't very keen on you trying to save a few quid at their expense!

Believe me you have no idea how lucky you are in the US when it comes to buying drum equipment!

Sweetwater wants $1300 for the bundle with the accessories I want. I called the shipping company and they told me it would be about $50 for the import duties. Altogether it’s going to cost me about $1050. That still saves me a couple hundred from buying it here in the US.

Believe me you have no idea how lucky you are in the US when it comes to buying drum equipment!

I haven't bought music stuff from the EU or UK, but have other things. We here don't have to pay the V.A.T. (value added tax)!!! It's 15% or more (20% for the UK?)

I put the Gigster in the "shopping basket" as if buying from the UK and the US, and they got it right - some places don't regularly do on-line business with US buyers, and fail to deduct the VAT from their listed prices. So, it pays to keep an eye on that stuff.

mikyok's right about contacting customs with questions if you can't find your item listed in the "Harmonized Tariff Schedule". Most percussion is 4.8%, cymbals are free of any tariff, "other" percussion is 5.3%, but buying from some countries is free.

https://www.usitc.gov/publications/docs/tata/hts/bychapter/1000c92.pdf

I bought my BC2 direct from Porter & Davies a year or two ago. It was convenient and when I researched the benefits at the time, it was more cost effective to buy direct. They made things easy for US customers. At that time they had a separate price list for US buyers in dollars. Price included shipping and I believe the US customs fees may have even been factored in. Just checked their site and sadly they don’t appear to be doing the US separate price list any longer.

Back