Greetings from the Custom Works Drum Company!

CustomWorksDrumCo.

Hello all drummers!

We are a new Drum company out of Waterford CT providing Quality customizable drums. I know some of you may be thinking "Oh great, another generic boutique builder", and well yes, i guess you could LABEL it like that, but there is nothing generic or mediocre about the detail, craftsmanship, and parts used in our drums. I build our drums exactly how I think they should be, with extreme attention to detail and constant quality evaluations, not because our parts and drums NEED them, but because I feel its necessary to assure the most musical, consistent, and playable drum possible. I can guarantee you that nobody will build you a drum like me, and I say that in the least cocky manner possible i just mean that the real difference between me and any other custom, boutique builder are my techniques i've learned and the steps in which i follow to create the instrument. But I thank you personally for reading up on us and taking a look. Here's a link to our facebook. Please Please share and like with as many drummers as you can to get our name out!... http://www.facebook.com/pages/Custom-Works-Drum-Company/203565939666030 PLEASE LIKE OUR FACEBOOK PAGE!

Thank you again,

Reid Sherwin (CWDrumCo. founder)

Hi Reid,

Can't tell much from Facebook, what's your web site?

Bermuda

Yeah, I know good lookin, easy to navigate and informative websites arent easy to come by but it would really help.

Some great pics of different kits and finishes from various angles along with piece shots would be great. :)

Oh yes i do know the importance of an Easy to navigate but effective website as i have scoured drum sites for the past 7 years as the consumer haha! and yes hopefully better pics of finishes will be up soon. thanks again,

Reid

Hi Reid,

With the plethora of custom/boutique builders, a lot of drummers regard them as being the same: Keller shells, choice of common edges, WorldMax hardware, and the usual Delmar wraps or basic lacquer finishes. Granted, craftsmanship will vary, but the building blocks are often identical.

What shells are you using? Do you have custom lugs or other hardware? Can you replicate any edge, and if someone says they want a specific sound, can you tailor the drum to that? Do you do custom finishes or graphics?

Basically, I'm curious about the various aspects that set your company apart from the 100+ other custome builders out there. It's those differences that will help market your company best.

Thanks,

Bermuda

Hi Reid,

With the plethora of custom/boutique builders, a lot of drummers regard them as being the same: Keller shells, choice of common edges, WorldMax hardware, and the usual Delmar wraps or basic lacquer finishes. Granted, craftsmanship will vary, but the building blocks are often identical.

What shells are you using? Do you have custom lugs or other hardware? Can you replicate any edge, and if someone says they want a specific sound, can you tailor the drum to that? Do you do custom finishes or graphics?

Basically, I'm curious about the various aspects that set your company apart from the 100+ other custome builders out there. It's those differences that will help market your company best.

Thanks,

Bermuda
Of course and I've thought and studied into the "custom drum" market long before I made the descision to, well enter it I guess you could say haha. I found that most of the custom company's in the past 10 years have failed because of what I believe to be harware inconsistancy. ALMOST all of the custom builders that allowed you to choose different lugs, floortom legs, and mounting ended up unsuccsesfull in buisness. What they thought was actually standing out made them blend in with the hundreds of other indestinguishable builders. Dw, ocdp, c&c, ayotte, spaun,pork pie, and truth are all the most succsesfull custom builders ever and what do they all have in common? Every kit uses there House lug. All of our drums come with either our round "Haymann" style lugs, or tube lugs, gibralter brackets and suspension mounts. People will know what my drums are just from seeing them. That is what I feel is the most important for a succsesfull drum company atleast

Reid

A drum's identity is a good thing, we all know that big companies are readily identifiable by simply looking at their lugs. But apart from focusing on just a few lug styles, what are the other things that either set you apart from the herd of custom builders, or make you similar to the more successful ones. Like, where do you get your shells - Keller? Bill Cardwell? Vaughncraft? The big company that is (was?) OEM'ing shells out of their facility in Mexico? I ask because what goes into the drum is as important to many drummers as the finished product.

For better or worse, drummers have become very educated about what goes into making a drum. They know about wood types, plies, re-rings, edges, hoop types, snare wires, etc. To start, they want to know where the shells are from. Hearing Keller, for example, may mean a sign of consistent quality to some, yet to others may lump that builder in with a hundred others. There's no right or wrong answer, only a certain amount of transparency needed about what makes your product what it is. If your craftsmanship is superior, that's important to promote, but it has to be done within the context of what you do to a Keller shell that someone else doesn't.

I don't mean to give you a difficult time, I'm just letting you know what kind of questions you can expect, and why they're important to address. If I didn't ask them, someone else would.

Bermuda

A drum's identity is a good thing, we all know that big companies are readily identifiable by simply looking at their lugs. But apart from focusing on just a few lug styles, what are the other things that either set you apart from the herd of custom builders, or make you similar to the more successful ones. Like, where do you get your shells - Keller? Bill Cardwell? Vaughncraft? The big company that is (was?) OEM'ing shells out of their facility in Mexico? I ask because what goes into the drum is as important to many drummers as the finished product.

For better or worse, drummers have become very educated about what goes into making a drum. They know about wood types, plies, re-rings, edges, hoop types, snare wires, etc. To start, they want to know where the shells are from. Hearing Keller, for example, may mean a sign of consistent quality to some, yet to others may lump that builder in with a hundred others. There's no right or wrong answer, only a certain amount of transparency needed about what makes your product what it is. If your craftsmanship is superior, that's important to promote, but it has to be done within the context of what you do to a Keller shell that someone else doesn't.

I don't mean to give you a difficult time, I'm just letting you know what kind of questions you can expect, and why they're important to address. If I didn't ask them, someone else would.

Bermuda
I thank you for that truely. Im one to take advice nicely and really am glad I am having to answer these questions. I want people to know exactly what im about as a builder and an enthusiest. But we offer two series. The CW Series wich come with the choice of keller vss maple, vss birch, or rci acrylic shells, and The Archaic series wich offers a keller vintage maple 6 ply shell or kellers mohagony/poplar/mohagony maple re ring'ed shell. I offer vaughncraft steam bent shells but am currently working on steaming my own maple shells in the shop. We use 45° bearing edges on or cw series and a rounded over 45° on the archaic series. I really want to contact bill(if that's who I do directly) over at gladstone to get there maple poplar maple shell for our Archaic series

Good to know on all fronts, Gladstone is doing some great shells and a few different things than Keller. :)

Bermuda

Good to know on all fronts, Gladstone is doing some great shells and a few different things than Keller. :)

Bermuda

Indeed they are! It was a ballsy move for c&c to release there "formula" to the public, but it shows how important the drum building and providing the builders with quality materials still is to them rather than all buisness. Extreme selflessness after there rise to stardom which I have extreme respect for. But thanks again for showing interest and taking the time to learn more about my vision of CWDC.

Much respect and Happy drumming

Reid Sherwin

P.S sorry for switching up acounts on y'all so much!

Indeed they are! It was a ballsy move for c&c to release there "formula" to the public, but it shows how important the drum building and providing the builders with quality materials still is to them rather than all buisness.

They know that the customers want to know. Builders and suppliers have to provide answers if they want the business.

It's a different dynamic than it was back in the '60s when people bought drums based on how they looked! Specs have become more important than ever. Even the kids know what different edges do.

Bermuda

Back