Confusion on how to read this fill (Weckl - Contemporary Drummer + One)

Jonathan Curtis

Silver Member
I'm currently working on Garden Wall from Dave Weckl's Contemporary Drummer + One for my Trinity Diploma, and I'm struggling reading a fill from the analysis booklet.

Could someone with the book help me out?

In the analysis booklet, it's the bar (5) fill from page 5. Specifically there's a row of 16ths and 32nds taking up beats two and three, going around the toms. However, I don't understand the way in which the beams are joined. Have a look at the attached picture. Starting at beat 2, the snare hit is a 16th, right? Then it is joined onto two 32nds on the tom. Why are the first two 32nds separated from the next group of four 32nds by only two beams? It's the same in beat 3. The first four 32nds are separated from the final two 32nds by another double beam, intsead of a triple.

The confusing thing is, the only two notes that are not 32nds are the first snare hit, and the final bass drum hit, which are both 16ths. This has to be the case otherwise the fill doesn't fit into the bar, taking into account beat1 and the crotchet rest on beat 4.I assume that it's just some kind of formatting niche that I don't know about, but why are some of these 32nds separated only by double beams?

Any thoughts?

Cheers

EDIT: I've scanned in the offending item so that anyone can help.

Attachments

• fill.jpg
    fill.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 317
It's an attempt to make it clearer to read. 32nd notes are often divided into groups of four, so that they are easier to read (rather than counting a string of 8 notes per beat). The fill breaks down as follows, the snare hits on beat 2, the first two tom hits take up the 'e' of beat 2. The next 4 tom hits take up the 'and a' of beat 2. Then the last two hi tom hits are the first 16th of beat 3. The two hits on the 2nd tom are the 'e' of the 3 and the two on floor are the 'and' of the 3. The fill ends on the upbeat 'a' of the 3rd beat of the bar, with a unison between the bass drum and open hi hat.

Back