new thread deleted. help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snarebuzz

i posted a link to an all drum and percussion record that i've done thinking that it would be appropriate for the users of the forum but when i logged back in it had been deleted. any idea why?
any info would be much appreciated as i do not want to abuse the forum.
thanks!
blake

I have now deleted it twice. It is spam. If you wish to promote yourself in that way please arrange with the website owner Bernhard. It is one thing to have been a long time member and maybe sell something you own or mention something you have used, but when your first post, your signature, and website are the first things you offer then it is obvious why your are here. We understand wanting to share with other drummers but this is a little over the top and not being done gratis.

You see the funny part is that the forum now lists 82,000 members and only 16,000 hits on the Forum Rules page. Herein lies the problem

Well said Grunt. It seems there is a complete lack of understanding of the rules. Or maybe a complete flouting of the rules in order to try and get one past the moderators in the hope to reach one or two of us before it was deleted.

Kevin

the forum's rules state, "we define spam as advertising a product not related to drumming and/or any unsolicited advertising." i came here to network with other drummers and i think sharing my record should be part of that.

logic would would assume it's ok to share such a thing on a website dedicated to drummers. maybe you guys should check it out? you can stream it for free. i bet you'd like it. it was made for people just like you. sorry if i stepped on any toes. I understand you probably get a lot of spam but that's not what this is.

if this is a dinner party, like is described in the rules, then talking about an all drum and percussion record to a bunch of drummers seems absolutely appropriate etiquette. I could be a real asset to a forum like this. oh well, thanks for your input.

btw, this original thread was not my first post, as stated by one of you guys. in fact i've commented a few times on others people's threads trying to be helpful and encouraging.

if this is a dinner party, like is described in the rules, then talking about an all drum and percussion record to a bunch of drummers seems absolutely appropriate etiquette. I could be a real asset to a forum like this. oh well, thanks for your input.

And every dinner party seems to have at least one "Me Monster". The guy that only wants to talk about himself, what he does, etc. and not engage in actual conversation with others.

And every dinner party seems to have at least one "Me Monster". The guy that only wants to talk about himself, what he does, etc. and not engage in actual conversation with others.

++1. And then I have to keep on typing to add the required number of characters :)

it was made for people just like you. sorry if i stepped on any toes.

Actually, you're stepping on my f&$%(*& toes just saying that. You have no idea who I am, you've never had a meaningful conversation with me. I might not like drum-centric music, I might not like a lot of music written by drummers. I might not like listening to any music.

So who am I? What do I like? Which other musicians do I regularly listen to? Am I a fan of acoustic drum sounds? How do I like records to sound? Do I like digital recordings?

Sorry. It wasn't made for me. You have no bloody idea who I am. You have no bloody idea who any of us are.

As it happens, I have no inherent issue with your music. It's not my 'thing' but I don't hate it any more than I hate most things. The only music made 'for' me is the music that I make, not music that others make.

Please sort it with the site owners, not in public where random assholes like me get to comment and throw our two cents in.

1: The old post appeared extremely self promotional and a sales pitch. It was absolutely and positively in violation of the rules.
2: I absolutely love your work, and would love to see this sorted out.

It's kind of a fine line.

It's perfectly acceptable to post audio or video of your playing in the appropriate section (Your Place > Your Playing.)

But when a "buy" link also appears with the file, it's a solicitation, even though the file in question is downloadable for free.

It would be like me posting about the new album. That's fine, and is acceptable self-promotion. But if I post a "listen to samples here" link, and it's the Amazon page, it crosses over to being a solicitation.

Bermuda

Really?.Read the forum rules,and if it's still a "drag",....leave and resign you FREE membership.....LOL

Steve B

He doesn't need to resign, I can help him out.

It would be like me posting about the new album. That's fine, and is acceptable self-promotion. But if I post a "listen to samples here" link, and it's the Amazon page, it crosses over to being a solicitation.

Bermuda

The other thing, Jon, is that you have a long and well-documented history on this board and have built up a relationship the members on here. Nobody would aggrieve you putting up a link.

If somebody new joins the board and (say) within their first ten posts, they're actively promoting sales then people tend to look at that negatively. It's not hard and fast but there has to be some kind of established relationship.

The other thing that irritates me is posters that only post in the 'Your Playing' section and only post in their own threads. That really gets my goat. In fact, if this were my forum then I'd set a minimum post limit before new users could post in the 'Your Playing' section but I'm sure any forum I ran wouldn't have many members!

I could be a real asset to a forum like this. oh well, thanks for your input.

That would be great, and the file you linked to sounded good. Posting links and showing your playing is not the issue here. Having that link include the opportunity to make a purchase - specifically because it's your product - is the issue. If your post had simply included an attached .mp3 instead, this "thread deleted" thread wouldn't need exist.

Having the Bandcamp link in your sig is a grey area for me, because you're not (necessarily) deliberately directing anyone to that site within the body of your post. Once you do however, that crosses the line. And yes, some of the more "hard sell" links in members' sigs have been removed in most instances.

Bermuda

Last edited:
and/or any unsolicited advertising... this is the part where your info fits.
Drum related yes, unsolicited advertising also yes.

There has to be a rule and like all rules there is always grey areas. If there was no rule you would see every unsolicited ad in the world here with no band width to even talk about drums. And as for the dinner party, you wouldn't go to a freinds dinner party celebrating his birthday and turn the conversation to you running for political office. There is a time and place.

The other thing, Jon, is that you have a long and well-documented history on this board and have built up a relationship the members on here.

Thanks, and that certainly applies to other members who clearly have a related business interest, but whose non-commercial participation eclipses any commercial agenda.

It would be easy to say "well, Andy is here promoting Guru drums!" But his signal-to-noise ratio is very high towards discussion rather than trying to solicit business from the membership.

Yes, I am aware of the irony in my having just purchased one of his snares as a result of a post on this forum.

Bermuda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back