Ist gig done...underwhelming

Sounds like you did a good job. Welcome to the world of gigs, where anything can happen and usually does!

I agree with everything that's been said, can't add much. Great job Mar. I've heard A LOT worse bands than yours. I was pleasantly surprised. Also, you did not sound like an amateur in any way shape or form. You are no longer an amateur. Always a student but no longer an amateur.

A lot of places I play keep the TV on. I think if you turn it off without asking you might p!$$ off the owner. I second the lights thing too.

I'll tell you what Mary Oh! I thought you did terrific. The last time I saw you play it was to a CD. This is a whole nother ballgame. I love how you say that the one thing you think you're good at is time. That puts you ahead of a major portion of the crowd. It's huge. I was away for the weekend, and while away, I got the chance to see 2 different bands. We were at a couples resort in the Pocono Mountains and they have professional shows there every night of the week.

Your time and temperature uh tempo was way better than the one drummer I saw, and much more like the 2nd drummer I saw, who had friggin beautiful time. Rock steady and felt great.

I hope you feel good that you really stepped up and learned all those tunes. You did really good. You're a hard worker with a good work ethic and any band that has you will be the better for it. YOU held things together up there with your superior clock skills. As far as should you stay or should you go....

I think it's safe to say you're hooked. You could audition for other situations and still rehearse with this band when they call it until you find something you feel better about. Everybody whores around, it's one of the cool things about being a part of your local music scene. A good drummer gets passed around.

I don't think it's the right move to quit without any place to go, but if they irritate you enough...music should not be a chore. Your call.

I think what Larry is really trying to say is this:

You better step up your game and work on getting those 32nd note double-bass blasts up to 200bpm if you want anyone to ever take you seriously.

He then goes on some rant about how awesome Watso is, but we won't get into that.

Cmon Watso, this is Mary's thread. People have been waiting on this for weeks. Where are you manners? Make your own thread so we can try and peel back a few layers and expose fresh peeled Watso in all it's glory. That would be a great thread. We could interview you, in an attempt to get a handle on the madness! Now shoo!

I think what Larry is really trying to say is this:

You better step up your game and work on getting those 32nd note double-bass blasts up to 200bpm if you want anyone to ever take you seriously.

He then goes on some rant about how awesome Watso is, but we won't get into that.

Yeah he's like that with the subtext......lol. It's good we have you around to point that out for us.

And Uncle Larry..thanks so much for the praise...it's high stuff indeed coming from you! I think I've decided to stick it out for another gig or two to see what happens. You're right, Im hooked :)

Cmon Watso, this is Mary's thread. People have been waiting on this for weeks. Where are you manners? Make your own thread so we can try and peel back a few layers and expose fresh peeled Watso in all it's glory. That would be a great thread. We could interview you, in an attempt to get a handle on the madness! Now shoo!

Manners? That's hilarious.

And really? Another rant about how awesome I am, in the very same thread? C'mon guy. This is Mary's time to shine. I'm even standing just so that some of my light reflects on her. That's how down to earth and humble I am. I don't share my reflected light with just anyone, you know.

So some if you were wondering what all my frustration with this band was about. Let me give you an example of the type of thing that makes me want to bang my head against the wall.....

Emails between me and lead singer:

Me - Hey, let me know if you're interested in getting together anytime this week or weekend for coffee or something and maybe we can discuss the good, the bad and the ugly :) and what we should try to do next. Probably be a good idea to all get together so we can figure out what needs to be done to make it even better.

Her - I was just wondering what you would want to talk about

LOL seriously? I thought I was pretty clear. I don't think they've ever talked about a gig once it's over. It's definitely a constant struggle. I did write her back and spelled it out that a review of the gig might be a good idea but as of yet I haven't heard back. Just thought this might give you a better idea of what I'm dealing with :)

So some if you were wondering what all my frustration with this band was about. Let me give you an example of the type of thing that makes me want to bang my head against the wall.....

Emails between me and lead singer:

Me - Hey, let me know if you're interested in getting together anytime this week or weekend for coffee or something and maybe we can discuss the good, the bad and the ugly :) and what we should try to do next. Probably be a good idea to all get together so we can figure out what needs to be done to make it even better.

Her - I was just wondering what you would want to talk about

LOL seriously? I thought I was pretty clear. I don't think they've ever talked about a gig once it's over. It's definitely a constant struggle. I did write her back and spelled it out that a review of the gig might be a good idea but as of yet I haven't heard back. Just thought this might give you a better idea of what I'm dealing with :)

Could it be that you're just far more serious about the band, insofar as quality of performance, professionalism, etc. than the rest ?

If they're in the game purely for the laughs, and consider themselves amateurs just out for some craic, they probably think you're being a tad neurotic.

They come across a bit like that to me.

It's not even a problem...just people with different expectations/demands/needs I'd say

Could it be that you're just far more serious about the band, insofar as quality of performance, professionalism, etc. than the rest ?

If they're in the game purely for the laughs, and consider themselves amateurs just out for some craic, they probably think you're being a tad neurotic.

They come across a bit like that to me.

It's not even a problem...just people with different expectations/demands/needs I'd say

True, except for the fact that the lead singer keeps telling me how serious she is about this and that she wants to take this band further. Mixed messages i guess.

Perhaps your lead singer just doesn't realise what is necessary to "take this further".

Mary, do you and the rest of the band get on socially?

If you do, here's a suggestion for your next gig:

Set up a camcorder that can record the gig.

At some time after the gig, sit down in a relaxed setting (wine/beer and pizza are your friends) and review the performance. You don't want to be attacking one another, and you don't need to tear yourselves to shreds. Try and identify what you can do to make your least impressive 1/3/9 songs better.

None of the above should be interpreted as a sly dig at what you've done - I've re-listened to the songs you posted, you should take care not to sprain your arms and shoulders with patting yourself on the back.

None of the above should be interpreted as a sly dig at what you've done - I've re-listened to the songs you posted, you should take care not to sprain your arms and shoulders with patting yourself on the back.

I'm not sure what you mean by this and am honestly a little taken aback by it. At no time have I said I'm a great drummer. I know I have a long way to go. I have made sure to point out my own mistakes to my bandmates and to acknowledge my own shortcomings as much as anything else. I just want to have the chance to get better. If I've come across as obnoxious and conceited then I have failed somewhere.

And no. We are not social friends. Although I'd be willing to get together to discuss anything. However they just informed me they don't have any time over the next 3 weeks (first I'm hearing of this). so I figure it will be a month or so before we even see each other again. Just another frustration, I would rather talk about the gig while it's fresh in my mind but they don't think it's important so I just said okay.

I guess our motivation levels are just different as others have pointed out.

Mary, I honestly meant nothing but praise, and I'm deeply sorry that I appear to have offended you.

I have nothing but respect and admiration for what you have done. You have not been patting yourself on the back (far from it). What I meant was that you SHOULD be patting yourself on the back, because you've earned it.

The trouble with written communication is that meaning gets twisted. You have not failed in anything around this. My intent was unclear, and for that, and for hurting your feelings, I am very sorry indeed.

Thanks James, I'm sorry I misinterpreted your post. My bad. As you can tell, I'm just on edge with all of this right now. It seems as if im hitting walls at every turn.

I wish I could adequately express how much playing music means to me. It gets me emotional just thinking about it...yes, I've been in tears again tonight. Seems to be happening too much lately. There's never been anything that's meant this much to me and I guess I'm just trying too hard. It's probably why I'm all over the place with these posts as well.

Again, I'm sorry for misreading what you said. Thanks for the kind words :).

Thanks James, I'm sorry I misinterpreted your post. My bad. As you can tell, I'm just on edge with all of this right now. It seems as if im hitting walls at every turn.

Mary, I've been drumming for around 6 months, so if there's anybody around here who has no room to be critical of another, it's me!

As I read it you guys played a gig. Nobody ran screaming from the room and you got invited back to play again. Sounds like a success to me! And the recordings you posted sound good.

It also sounds to me like you are a perfectionist. If I'm right in that, my suggestion would be to give your inner perfectionist free rein during rehearsals, to try and get everything as good as humanly possible. And rein her in at gigs, to be replaced by your inner party person, to concentrate on having fun.

Finally - the fault was mine. As a newbie here you don't know me (yet), so you read what you saw, is all.

True, except for the fact that the lead singer keeps telling me how serious she is about this and that she wants to take this band further. Mixed messages i guess.

First: great job! You've gone far, and fast! :)

Yeah, it sounds like this band member might be aware that you'd like to take the improvement of the band seriously, and is trying to relate to you, though perhaps the rest of the band is really just in it for kicks.

Also, bear in mind that most musicians and performers are absolutely terrified of video footage of their own performances.

But don't let that detract from your personal goals! You can still refine and improve your talents within this band (even if they screw up endings and take too long between songs, haha!). However, you probably won't be able to do much about the the playing or professionalism of other members; frankly, you risk alienating the other members if you try.

You're right, Im hooked :)

I'm not surprised, it's a drug. You did brilliantly, and you know you can do better still. How could you not be hooked!

I've been playing drums for 30 years and I still play the occasional gig in a sh** dive bar and the band has a clunker now and then. For a first gig, what you've done here is terrific. Appreciate the good that came out of it and focus on improving the areas that need improvement.

All in all, you should feel good about this.

Oh man, isn't this the inevitable truth. The only way to avoid it is to not do it.

Back