DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 06-09-2018, 05:44 PM

Default Ludwig Triad Mount or Vibraband on Classic Maple rack toms?

I'm probably going to be ordering a Ludwig Classic Maple kit sometime soon and I'm trying to decide which kind of mounts I want for the rack toms. I've narrowed it down to either the Vibrabands or the new Triad brackets mounted directly to the rack toms.

I've used Vibrabands before, but wasn't crazy about them. I always thought they were kind of bulky and awkward, and took away from the visual aspect of the drums, which is why I'm considering the Triad brackets mounted directly to the shell. Also, the Triad brackets seem to be a step up from the Classic brackets in their design in that they allow more resonance, so it's kind of a happy medium between the old school classics and the new suspension type mounts. That's kind of the way I see it, anyway.

I know there's been endless debate on the subject of shell mount vs. suspension mounts, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience specifically with the Triad brackets on their rack toms. I know that they're on the Neusonic kits, so I'm hoping that someone might have firsthand knowledge on them and how they might compare to the Vibrabands.

Anyway, if anyone has any thoughts, just let me know. Thanks!

Last edited by BigBopper; 06-12-2018 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:38 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

Default Re: Ludwig Triad Mount or Vibraband on Classic Maple rack toms?

The Triad mounts first showed up on the Signet kits 4 years ago, and are nice and sturdy, and don't seem to hinder resonance.

I don't mind the Vibraband/RIMS, but you also have to buy a mount for them, so that's an additional expense for each tom.

Bermuda
Old 06-09-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
The Triad mounts first showed up on the Signet kits 4 years ago, and are nice and sturdy, and don't seem to hinder resonance.

I don't mind the Vibraband/RIMS, but you also have to buy a mount for them, so that's an additional expense for each tom.

Bermuda
Thanks, Bermuda. Yeah, I mean... I don't hate the Vibrabands, I just like the simplicity of having the direct shell mounts, and not having to fool with the Vibrabands whenever I have to change a head. And you're right - it would be cheaper, too.

I guess I'm just looking for a little affirmation that this won't be a bad decision in hindsight. I usually second guess myself when making a major purchase, so...
Old 06-11-2018, 06:42 PM
Platinum Member

The Triad mount seems to be basically an Atlas mount that doesn't include a lug - not sure - but if I weren't going to do Atlas, they'd be my next choice.

You appear to have ruled out Atlas - curious why. I think they work well and my rack tom sounds pretty sweet. Wouldn't use them for floor toms or kick spurs, though.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
Wouldn't use them for floor toms or kick spurs, though.
Curious why? Seems like a cool way to standardize and the kick spurs look slick.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrivarna View Post
Curious why? Seems like a cool way to standardize and the kick spurs look slick.
I don't personally like the Atlas spurs, they just look massive and heavy to me - too industrial. I have no doubt they work well, though.

Folks have mentioned here on DW that using Atlas mounts for floor tom legs can make it difficult to fit drums into cases or bags. I suspect that's why the Triad mounts are being offered as a standard order option on floor toms now.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:53 AM
Gold Member

I can't find any info or pics of the Triad mounts on the Ludwig site. Does anybody have a link to those?

GeeDeeEmm
Old 06-12-2018, 04:36 AM

Here it is on a Signet tom.

I have triad floor tom leg brackets on my Classic Maples. The triad mounts will fit in same-sized bags.

My rack toms have Atlas mounts.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
The Triad mount seems to be basically an Atlas mount that doesn't include a lug - not sure - but if I weren't going to do Atlas, they'd be my next choice.

You appear to have ruled out Atlas - curious why. I think they work well and my rack tom sounds pretty sweet. Wouldn't use them for floor toms or kick spurs, though.
Thanks. Yeah, I kind of thought the same thing about the Triad being the same as the Atlas. I have mixed feelings about the Atlas mounts. I like the concept, but they're really bulky, and the Triads seem to be a little more streamlined, including the wing nut on the side of the mount.

Also, I don't see how the Atlas mounts are any different than a shell mount, other than the fact that it just eliminates an extra piece of hardware by combining a mount and a lug. Or am I missing something?
Old 06-12-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
I can't find any info or pics of the Triad mounts on the Ludwig site. Does anybody have a link to those?

GeeDeeEmm
Here's a pic of one on a Neusonic kit. Looks pretty good.

Old 06-12-2018, 04:35 PM
Administrator - Mayor

I wish my Renown had mounts that didn't inhibit head changing. Those triad look more than sturdy enough.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBopper View Post
Thanks. Yeah, I kind of thought the same thing about the Triad being the same as the Atlas. I have mixed feelings about the Atlas mounts. I like the concept, but they're really bulky, and the Triads seem to be a little more streamlined, including the wing nut on the side of the mount.

Also, I don't see how the Atlas mounts are any different than a shell mount, other than the fact that it just eliminates an extra piece of hardware by combining a mount and a lug. Or am I missing something?
Well, I think their thinking was, the lug is going to be there anyways. Not much you can do about that (shy of a Peavey or Guru approach involving external re-rings). What if we integrated a mount into one of those lugs, but put a bit of isolation between the lug and the mount so that it wouldn't inhibit resonance?

There were quite a few skeptics when the Atlas first came out, but I am sold on it. It works, and it's simple. And you don't need to drill additional holes into a shell. It even adjusts to work with (gasp!) other makes of drums.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Well, I think their thinking was, the lug is going to be there anyways. Not much you can do about that (shy of a Peavey or Guru approach involving external re-rings). What if we integrated a mount into one of those lugs, but put a bit of isolation between the lug and the mount so that it wouldn't inhibit resonance?

There were quite a few skeptics when the Atlas first came out, but I am sold on it. It works, and it's simple. And you don't need to drill additional holes into a shell. It even adjusts to work with (gasp!) other makes of drums.
Yeah, that makes sense. I'm not knocking the Atlas mounts. I actually do like them and think they work well. But, like I said, they're just a little too bulky, so that's why I'm considering other options.

I actually wouldn't mind the Keystone mounts either, but it looks like there's less mass to the Triad mounts, and perhaps they were designed to be a little more resonant also, but I'm just guessing on that.

I watched a few YouTube videos of the Neusonic kits, and the rack toms sounded pretty good to my ears, but I'm still hoping I might hear from someone who owns one and has firsthand experience with the Triad mounts on the rack toms.