Nitro/hydraulic throne longevity

Okay, tell you what Les. I'm going to pay $150 to get you the data point. I'll let you know as soon as it fails, whenever that might be. I'm curious enough myself to wager it. I also have an assortment of spindle types laying around, so I'll have a backup.

I've had my Nitro for over a year now no problems whats so ever, I gig about 2 too 3 weekends a month.

The main thing is too make sure the bolts that hold the hyd. shock are tight & secure if they get loose that will cause the throne too rise unexpectedly.

I love my Roc-N-Soc "Nitro" wished I would've got it years ago.

Keep Swattin'
Bonzolead

Accept the risk, its going to fail one day and you'll be left with a practically useless throne,
I've seen many.

The more you use it, the more you increase the chance of failure, its the nature of the design.

I've yet to see an older, well used hydraulic throne working at an acceptable efficiency rate, they're all either dogged out, frozen, or completely dead, its just a matter of time.
Give me proof. You can't backup a point that doesn't exist. If you had any understanding of the simple mechanics of gas springs you would see the logical fallacy in your argument. Would gas springs be used in the aerospace and auto industry if they failed constantly?

Guess what's in your car door? A gas spring.

I don't know if there's a valve or a seal or what but mine failed after about 3.5 years. It still goes up, but goes down really slowly when you sit on it.

I don't know if there's a valve or a seal or what but mine failed after about 3.5 years. It still goes up, but goes down really slowly when you sit on it.
That sounds more like a problem with the lever (or lock, whatever it's called) than the spring.

Same here. Although the bounce doesn't make a difference to me, the convenience of a gas shock over a spindle would be worth a new throne annually. Mine is three years old now and other than some dust is exactly like I bought it. For anyone that's owned a car for over five years, have you ever had to replace the gas springs in your doors? I'm guessing nobody here has had to replace one. I have no clue how someone could be stupid enough to believe these springs aren't durable. Is it ignorance or a poor understanding of technology that causes this?

Same here. Although the bounce doesn't make a difference to me, the convenience of a gas shock over a spindle would be worth a new throne annually. Mine is three years old now and other than some dust is exactly like I bought it. For anyone that's owned a car for over five years, have you ever had to replace the gas springs in your doors? I'm guessing nobody here has had to replace one. I have no clue how someone could be stupid enough to believe these springs aren't durable. Is it ignorance or a poor understanding of technology that causes this?

Its pretty small minded to compare a strut on a car door to a drum throne. A car door gets opened/closed and is locked into position, Its not in an unlocked position getting constantly stressed while the car is bouncing down the road. Would make more sense to compare a throne to a cars suspension struts, which I replace every 50K... b/c they wear from motion.

A drum throne is always getting worked. The more you use a hydraulic throne, the quicker it will wear and fail. If you expect to buy a new throne every year, not a problem. A spindle throne could be designed with a bounce.

Its pretty small minded to compare a strut on a car door to a drum throne...

... A spindle throne could be designed with a bounce.

This argument is silly. I don't think anybody is trying to pick on you Les, but struts don't have anything to do with this conversation. A shock absorber is used to dampen leaf springs on a car. The gas shock on a Roc n Soc throne works the same way. A strut is used to dampen coil springs on a car (and is mounted around the coil springs and is much more complicated) and this throne is not configured this way.

I agree that the cost versus benefit to a $150 throne is different for everyone. I love my Roc n Soc so much that if it busted every couple of years, I'd just repair it or replace it. Maybe others look at this as a once in a lifetime purchase.

It's almost like you guys like to find points to disagree on and then make feisty comments to each other.

Lighten up guys.

Back