The best drum sound I have heard in a long time!

I thought everything sounded great, aside from the snare. I just didn't like the tone of that snare. For what he was doing, I felt it was tuned too high. Everything else sounded pretty much exactly how I like, though.

I watched that video just a few days ago (first time I heard/saw Sonny Emory play).
The sound didn't strike me at all because frankly, that's the typical Drumeo sound and admittedly, their sound is usually quite fine. And they even don't use fancy recording stuff and rather affordable microphones. They might have upgraded but a while back the best piece of recording they had was a Millennia Audio stereo preamp - probably for bass drum/snare. I think their main sound engineer is Victor Gudera (spelling?).

For me, the kind of quite heavily EQ'd sound that would easily get lost in a mix. Fine for solo drum recordings, but the huge "smily EQ" lack of midrange would equate to mud in most other applications. Snare lacked body too. Great player though.

Yeah, great player.
Appears he has some pretty thin skins tuned pretty tight.
Nice drum sound but like Keep it Simple said, playing with a loud band, that drum sound would probably get buried in the mix.

I'm starting to fall in love with Yamaha drums.

Back