First time REALLY using an electronic kit

Flareless

I'm back into drumming after a long hiatus and now as then I still prefer acoustic drums over electronic. The place where I take lessons has a set of Roland V-Drums which I use for the lessons. They also have an old acoustic kit which is used by the school band (a group of students who jam at the school regularly). To keep the noise down we muffle the kit, a 4 piece Baxter, with towels over the heads. To say the least it sounds terrible.

A few days we had to use the V-Drums for the jam. It was the first time I ever played an electronic kit with a band. Wow. I have to say two things; man do I hate playing electronic drums and wow are electronic drums great when your volume must be limited.

Because we're forced to keep it down due to location the drums have always sounded like wet cardboard. This time the drums sounded incredible and I could cut loose a bit more without generating too much volume. Everyone in the band commented on how much better we sounded.

So while I hate the feel of them I think I'll opt for the V-Drums when volume becomes an issue and someone whips out towels to solve the problem.

Yea, I love my E-Drums too. I too, would prefer an acoustic kit for the feel and sensitivity that electronics have a hard time reproducing, but, for my application they are perfect. You can let loose with minimal noise and no need to mike and compress the drums, just fine tune with a knob.
I think most e-drummers would prefer an acoustic kit but there is nothing wrong with using the e-kit to suit your needs.

Back