Roland HD1 vs Yamaha TDX

braincramp

Gold Member
I think I got the names right there both about $600... due to a future move to an apt. I'm going to need a E-drumset for home practice... I'm really not into the E drums at all but have no choice.. I do got to admit I am looking forward to it like any new piece of equipment.. My top range is about 750 and I really, really prefer to buy new..nothing from c-list or ebay... I have a pretty hefty store credit now at sam ash and some cash so want to go new...please I need help..I will of course play both in the store tomorrow but would still like feedback on quality, is the roland expandable (though I probably wont expand)..from you-tube I must say I'm more impressed with the roland hd1 and the double bass feature has me swaying that way..

Though I have no experience in the E drum market I am suprised to hear a negative comment about anything from Roland..

Past Roland kits, you can use "your" kick pedal ... with the HD1, I'm pretty sure you're stuck with "their" kick pedal.​
I have a Yamaha DTXpress II module, and a Roland TD-7 module, and as far as "drums", I like the Yamaha sounds better. They sample their own kits.​
If you gotta go new, the Roland TD-4S ($899) or the Yamaha DTXplorer ($599) ...​

Gonna spend alot of time with each tonight .."they sample there own kits" . wow like the idea of being able to go from oak to maple to beech customs on the Yammy...is that possible?

Gonna spend alot of time with each tonight .."they sample there own kits" . wow like the idea of being able to go from oak to maple to beech customs on the Yammy...is that possible?

Depends on the module...I know the DTXpress IV, DTXtreme III, DTX500, DTX900 modules have these kits..as well as Birch....not so sure about the DTXplorer...will have to check...and I agree with earlier post Yamaha sounds are more realistic IMO...Rolands are good especially the upper end kits...just overpriced IMO...

Here's the manual for the DTXplorer..it looks like they do offer some of their kit sounds..see page 35 for drum voice list...

http://www.dtxperience.com/documents/Manuals/DTXPLORER/DTXPLORER_Owners_Manual.pdf

Also, personally, I'd recommend the DTXpress IV...it's a little more money, but a much nicer kit, especially the V2 version...more zones on the cymbals, snare; better snare pad, hihat and cymbal pads as well...yes it will cost you more, but if you can get past buying used...you can get a good deal on these kits...just my 2 cents...

Last edited:
Yeah .... since Yamaha is in the "acoustic drum making business", it's kinda a no brainer, they use ... their drums. Roland, on the other hand, is the largest drum manufacture in the world, and they don't even make acoustic kits. So, you'll find Roland pricier, simply because they're "the big dog on the porch".

With the $200 rebate I ended up leaving with a shiny new TD-4K Roland...now I just got to put it together...thanks for the help everyone...btw they were out of stock of the regular DTX they did have 1 of the higher priced ones (same price as the TD-4K but no rebate so it made the decision alot easier..I couldnt pass up a $200 rebate! Hey does anyone knoe the difference between the TD-4K and the TD-4S????

Last edited:
Back