Is the snare tuned too high?

soulfly28

Looking for honest opinions. Never actually tuned for recording. First attempt with some cheap cad mics and an old Yamaha MC1202 (1985). Let me know about the snare please. This was just a quick test, also still waiting on a bass drum stand, so it is just sitting in the hole on reso head :(

http://soundcloud.com/mister_fister/test-3

its all personal. do you like how it sounds? maybe tune it down some more, record that and see which you like best. then repeat the process some more!

It's quite ringy, lacks a bit of bite and sounds a little bit choked to me (which implies that it may be a bit too tight).

If you like it, then it's perfect! However, I'm guessing you're unsure about the sound otherwise you wouldn't have started the thread. In which case, definitely experiment with your tuning until the only thing you're sure about is how much you like the sound you're getting :)

I thought it was a little too ringy myself. I'll mess with the tuning a little more. The only thing I really messed with was the top head, so, I'll start there.

It sounds nice, I would try a little bit of muffling to adjust the sustain and reduce the overtones. Maybe make the snares tighter to get more of the snappy attack? It would depend on what music you were playing with. All in all, I really like it's sound.

It is very tight, but my issue is I don't hear any snares. Just a tom sound.

I like it. All the ring and overtones will get eaten up in the mix when the rest of the instruments are added in there, and what you will end up with is a really poppy lively sounding snare. It is tuned on the higher side of tight, but depending on the song, that sound is fine. Like it's not your standard ballad rock song snare tone. It's happier sounding. Reminds me of the Spin Doctors song "Two Princes". I love the snare tone on that tune.

I think that it's tuned a little too high for most genres of music. I too believe there was an absence of your snares in the example you gave. If it was me, I would crank it down just a bit.

What size and type of snare drum is it?

Dennis

I agree it sounded like the snares were off, and was wayyy to boingy IMO.

They were taped across the middle because of snare buzz on a 44 count snare wire. I replaced them last night. Haven't had a chance to listen to it again though.

This is a stock Premier Olympic snare from around 1970. African mahogany.

Size: 14 x looks like 5 1/2

My trick for reducing buzz is a thin strip of paper between the wires and the head. It works fairly well, though tuning can also have a huge impact.

I love the drum sound in Two Princes, but there are a lot of what sound like off center rim shots where you hear the snares, the ring of the head, and the crack of the rimshot all nicely balanced together.

After the OP gets the snare issue worked out, it would be interesting to hear it again to see how the high pitch works when there is some snare sound.

As Larry said, much of the ring would get lost in a mix, along with a lot of the snare buzz. You can try tuning the lugs just to either side of the snare a bit looser but sometimes there's not much you can do. I remember taking a Ludwig snare I had down to Gene D'Amico's shop when he was in CA and asking him what could be done with the snare buzz. He tapped around both heads and said that it was tuned well and about as good as it was going to get, and probably not a problem unless there was some quiet bass solo with no drumming.

My trick for reducing buzz is a thin strip of paper between the wires and the head. It works fairly well, though tuning can also have a huge impact.

I used to use a playing card, but only the queen of hearts.... I no longer worry about snare buzz though as once the music starts you cannot hear it at all anyway.

I used to use a playing card, but only the queen of hearts.... I no longer worry about snare buzz though as once the music starts you cannot hear it at all anyway.

When I play gigs (not as often as I'd like) I do take it off, but for just practicing it's nice to not hear it ;)

I have had problems tuning this since I was given the kit. I took it apart today and noticed some issues. First off, someone replaced the lugs and lost the lug inserts, so they can move towards or away from the shell. Also the reinforcement hoop was loose, S I have reglued it. Also sanded the bearing edge slightly and the inside of the drum from tar because the snare sat in a garage for about 10 years with no heads, and a lot of smokers. Can't find lug inserts in the states, which will be a problem.

I no longer worry about snare buzz though as once the music starts you cannot hear it at all anyway.

Second this. Even if i wear ear plugs with no music i still can't hear the snare buzz. I really don't pay any attention to it anymore. You get used to the buzz after a while. lol

They were taped across the middle because of snare buzz on a 44 count snare wire. I replaced them last night. Haven't had a chance to listen to it again though.

This is a stock Premier Olympic snare from around 1970. African mahogany.

Size: 14 x looks like 5 1/2

I've had this exact snare. Red sparkle?
Taping the snare wires to rid buzz is kind of drastic . If you wish to get rd of snare buzz, detune reso slightly, even just an eight or less of a turn, to get them out of sync with toms or batter. And i f you loosen your snares, you might hear more out of your drum. They are choked being taped and cannot vibrate freely.

For my tastes your snare is tuned too high, but its all up to your tastes.

I have had problems tuning this since I was given the kit. I took it apart today and noticed some issues. First off, someone replaced the lugs and lost the lug inserts, so they can move towards or away from the shell. Also the reinforcement hoop was loose, S I have reglued it. Also sanded the bearing edge slightly and the inside of the drum from tar because the snare sat in a garage for about 10 years with no heads, and a lot of smokers. Can't find lug inserts in the states, which will be a problem.

they are available

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/yamaha-standard-lug-nut-3pk

. Can't find lug inserts in the states, which will be a problem.

If you cannot find something in the States than it probably does not exist. Pretty sure you can get lug inserts. GD found some and I am sure you can find em at other places as well.

Back