cracked cymbals

pgm554

Platinum Member
Why do folks post cracked cymbals for sale at used cymbal prices?
It drives me nuts to see a posting asking $$ for a cymbal that is junk heap material.
This gut wants a $149 bucks for this cymbal on Reverb with a "small" crack.
Most used music stores won't even look at a cracked cymbal.

Attachments

• m0v7wup804wpsy8n0g5g.jpg
    m0v7wup804wpsy8n0g5g.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 205
I agree. Lol, small crack. Looks more like the San Andreas Fault.

Why do folks post cracked cymbals for sale at used cymbal prices?
It drives me nuts to see a posting asking $$ for a cymbal that is junk heap material.
This gut wants a $149 bucks for this cymbal on Reverb with a "small" crack.
Most used music stores won't even look at a cracked cymbal.
Moronic, to say the least

Don't you just love it when the seller adds "small crack but doesn't affect the sound"??!?!. What a pile of bs. People need to get a clue. Craigslist is notoriously full of this nonsense, but I even see it a lot on ebay.
It seems this goes right along with people selling gear for more than full retail, new. I recently saw a new Sabian AAX china for sale on FB for $360....even though you can get it brand new, with warranty shipped for $269. I was tempted to call out this fool, but I'd just not rather get involved. This was someone blatantly trying to rip someone off. Buyer beware!

I've bought tons of cracked cymbals.
If I tallied them up, the average cost would probably be somewhere between $15 and $20.
The least expensive ones were $5 and the most I've paid for a cracked cymbal was $40.

After a while, you can eyeball them up and tell what they'd be useable for - if anything.
You wouldn't believe how many pairs of hi hats I have - ha ha.

My favorites are a Zildjian Sweet Ride, paired with a Zildjian 22" A, cut down to around 13.5" for a pair of hats,
and a cut down 20" Zildjian Symphonic Orchestra cymbal. That one sounds gorgeous, but is pretty quiet.

There's no size given on the cymbal in the first post, but from the looks of it,
it would only be useful as an fx cymbal, or part of a small set of hi-hats.
$15 if it sounds OK as it is now.

It's probably the same people that ask $900 for beat to shit Tama Rockstar kit with Zildjian Scimitar cymbals, they don't know shit about drums and just assume that since Tama and Zildjian are brands they've seen on TV they must be worth something.

Either that or someone who's just hoping that some n00b will see the ad and think they can just JB Weld it back together!

Back