Asking a delicate question to a pro...

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
How would you go about asking a pro drummer (whom you have studied with and know the songs) if he would be interested in having you as a Substitute in case something happened and he couldn't play the gig?
I'm not talking about asking Neil Peart or someone who's gig would obviously be cancelled if he couldn't make it. I mean a non "drum star" type of pro job.
I know it's done on Broadway and other gigs.
Would love to hear from some of our pro drummers here as well with their advice!

How would you go about asking a pro drummer (whom you have studied with and know the songs) if he would be interested in having you as a Substitute in case something happened and he couldn't play the gig?
I'm not talking about asking Neil Peart or someone who's gig would obviously be cancelled if he couldn't make it. I mean a non "drum star" type of pro job.
I know it's done on Broadway and other gigs.
Would love to hear from some of our pro drummers here as well with their advice!

Practice what you're gonna say by asking Neil Peart.

Just let them know you're available and willing to do what's necessary, let them decide if they want you. Don't try to sell yourself to them/job outside of availability.

If you know the drummer, then they know you. That's all that's necessary, no need to even ask the question. If they need a sub, you will come to mind if they feel you can do the job.

It's not that it's being pushy or inappropriate, it just doesn't need to be asked. I know plenty of drummers I'd consider for subbing, and none of them ever had to ask to be on 'the list'.

Bermuda

If you know the drummer, then they know you. That's all that's necessary, no need to even ask the question. If they need a sub, you will come to mind if they feel you can do the job.

It's not that it's being pushy or inappropriate, it just doesn't need to be asked. I know plenty of drummers I'd consider for subbing, and none of them ever had to ask to be on 'the list'.

Bermuda

^^^^^ Bingo. Very well said Bermuda

Thanks for the pro advice as always Bermuda. You spelled out what my instincts were kind of telling me all along. I guess I was just over thinking the situation.

Back