DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Playing

Your Playing Show us Your Playing

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-02-2017, 06:03 AM
Mozart1220 Mozart1220 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 100
Default OK...I'll bear my soul

Be gentle folks, I'm just starting to figure out drumming. The recordings I make are more for practice and getting the SOUND figured out. I know my timing is a bit iffy...

I used this one because it actually has a guitar solo, another place I'm out of my comfort zone. So the bass is the only thing I have experience at.

Oh, I'm using the soft "Hot Rod" sticks. Drums played first. Just playing, no song in mind. I make lots of drum tracks, and later, when it's too late at night to play drums, I "harvest" drum tracks to play stuff over.

I actually have recordings that show my "talent" as a drummer better, but this was the closest to a song and not a drum solo surrounded by noodling around.

https://soundcloud.com/user-825404419/kerfuffle-shuffle

Last edited by Mozart1220; 11-02-2017 at 09:11 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-02-2017, 07:31 PM
Dr_Watso's Avatar
Dr_Watso Dr_Watso is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,270
Default Re: OK...I'll bear my soul

Cool jamming man... Got a pretty decent feel already, just have to work on putting your fill notes in the right places!

In your shoes I would try writing out some fills so that you're 100% certain where in the beat each note falls, then practice! Do 4 bars of groove and play your written out 1 bar fill, make sure you come back right on the 1 and do it over!
__________________
"I always wanted to be remembered for; being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn." - Lemmy
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-02-2017, 08:56 PM
Mozart1220 Mozart1220 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 100
Default Re: OK...I'll bear my soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
Cool jamming man... Got a pretty decent feel already, just have to work on putting your fill notes in the right places!

In your shoes I would try writing out some fills so that you're 100% certain where in the beat each note falls, then practice! Do 4 bars of groove and play your written out 1 bar fill, make sure you come back right on the 1 and do it over!
Thanks! When I start seriously recording songs, that will happen. I know where the fills should go, but I'm not playing Drums TO the music, I'm just using whatever groove I come up with to inspire the music. One is not "designed" for the other, that's why the fills are off. Years ago I used to use a "Drumdrops" album to play over. Now it's me, and when I'm just "Jamming" on my own I seldom count, I just go.

But thanks again! Always good to get advice, even at my advanced age.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-03-2017, 12:09 AM
Dr_Watso's Avatar
Dr_Watso Dr_Watso is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,270
Default Re: OK...I'll bear my soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozart1220 View Post
Thanks! When I start seriously recording songs, that will happen. I know where the fills should go, but I'm not playing Drums TO the music, I'm just using whatever groove I come up with to inspire the music. One is not "designed" for the other, that's why the fills are off. Years ago I used to use a "Drumdrops" album to play over. Now it's me, and when I'm just "Jamming" on my own I seldom count, I just go.

But thanks again! Always good to get advice, even at my advanced age.
Well, what I heard was a case where the time on the fills wasn't the same as the time on the groove. The space between the notes of your fills and where each one of those notes falls on/around the actual beat count is what I'm getting at. Wasn't referring to the placement of the fills in the structure, which as you mention is fluid with the jammy nature of the piece.

The suggestions I made will help sort out your note placement. I think you sound like you have an idea how music works and probably can decide good places to put your fills, just got to tighten those puppies up!
__________________
"I always wanted to be remembered for; being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn." - Lemmy
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-03-2017, 12:16 AM
Mozart1220 Mozart1220 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 100
Default Re: OK...I'll bear my soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
Well, what I heard was a case where the time on the fills wasn't the same as the time on the groove. The space between the notes of your fills and where each one of those notes falls on/around the actual beat count is what I'm getting at. Wasn't referring to the placement of the fills in the structure, which as you mention is fluid with the jammy nature of the piece.

The suggestions I made will help sort out your note placement. I think you sound like you have an idea how music works and probably can decide good places to put your fills, just got to tighten those puppies up!
I hear ya, and thanks! I'm learning. I'm finding some great vids on Youtube, but I have no intention of actually playing in front of people on drums. If I'm in a band I'm on guitar or bass. I actually bought the kit intending to seel it because the Rotos were worth more than $100. But after getting it home and setting it up (with help from a drummer friend) I got hooked. My Mom and Uncle played in bands when I was a kid, and there was often a kit sitting in our basement that I goofed around with, but NOW I'm trying to actually PLAY. Your advice and that of others will help me make MY recordings better, and I appreciate it. How was the overall SOUND of that recording you heard?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-03-2017, 12:48 AM
Dr_Watso's Avatar
Dr_Watso Dr_Watso is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,270
Default Re: OK...I'll bear my soul

Might as well give in. If you've got that type of bug already, it will only get worse as you see how deep and cool the drumming rabbit hole is.

Sounded pretty alright to me! Obviously not exactly "studio" quality drum sounds but better than average for what this is I think!
__________________
"I always wanted to be remembered for; being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn." - Lemmy
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-03-2017, 01:35 AM
Destroyer772's Avatar
Destroyer772 Destroyer772 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Maysville ky
Posts: 1,184
Default Re: OK...I'll bear my soul

Id say your off to a really good start, for a beginner you should feel good about that track (not bad audio at all). Dr Watso is steering you in the right direction, keep practicing and taking suggestion's. Recording yourself like this is a lot of help also.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-03-2017, 01:37 AM
Mozart1220 Mozart1220 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 100
Default Re: OK...I'll bear my soul

Yeah, My friend said, DON'T spend any money on these drums (outside the set of new heads he had me get), but I already have. I had to get a new Snare stand, so I got the cheapest GC had. I sold a Peavey combo amp I didn't need anymore and with that $200 got a new high hat stand and a boom cymbal stand, along with a Fender Mustang II amp. GREAT day.

But then I came into a little cash, and couldn't resist a new crash cymbal, so I got the Zildjian "S".

But now there is a hole in the middle, and I heard a great cymbal sound on a Rush song and found out it was a "splash" So now I had to get a splash and the clamp to attach it with...

Jeez...I thought guitars were expensive. This is worse than drugs. No, I'm good. I can stop building and adjusting the thing anytime I want to...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-03-2017, 02:10 AM
Midnite Zephyr's Avatar
Midnite Zephyr Midnite Zephyr is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Surf City, USA
Posts: 6,298
Default Re: OK...I'll bear my soul

Good playing, man. You just need time in the saddle to get a nice flow going. Good time comes with a lot of playing. It sounded good too. I just needed some headphones on my head.

I wouldn't exactly call this a shuffle though, per se.
__________________
Drumming for fun.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-03-2017, 06:32 AM
Mozart1220 Mozart1220 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 100
Default Re: OK...I'll bear my soul

I know, I just needed a silly name. I suck at names. There is a band called "Ozric tentacle" where all the names are like "Curious corn" and such like. (Being from Iowa I always wanted to call a band that)

So I like nonsense names. It doesn't sound like a "Kerfuffle" either but what else rhymes with "Shuffle". Heh...heh...

If you look there is one called "Gilmost Realm" which I did by putting a Glimour song on the phones and playing along. I miked the drums but I couldn't monitor them. Not bad. Then I put music on and NATURALLY it sounds like Floyd, so...Almost in the realm of Gilmour. "Glimost Realm"
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com