Yamaha

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
Yamahaha

A 2009 yamaha stage custom. It's hardly been used and in pretty much perfect nick.

10, 12, 14, 20, 14.

I thought it was black when I went to pick it up, also thought it had a 22 (bummer). But the price was right so I still bought it. Haggled $20 off 'cos the guy told me the bass drum was a 22 lol. Also got the stock pedal.

I'm going to flog off the snare and pst3's and this is now my band practice/gigging kit, for which I will not use any cases (just a bit tired of all the packing/unpacking). I love the hardware on these things and they sound nice. What heads do these drums like most?

Attachments

• photo(14).JPG
    photo(14).JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 498
  • pst3.jpg
    pst3.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 368
Last edited:
I use clear or coated G2s over G1s with an EQ3 on the kick batter. They sound great. Currently I'm using the clears, boom for days. Enjoy!

nice kit! i also recommend the G2 over G1 combo for the toms and emad for the kick... if not just stick a pillow in the bass and see where that gets you!

enjoy your kit!

-vince

Re: Yamahaha

Nice score.​
What heads do these drums like most?
They'll work with a lot of different heads. What's important is what heads/sound you like.​

So ambassadors/g1's prob won't sound great?

I don't know if the stock ones are single ply but they get a really nice tone when I tune them up and make them choke a little, just got a few ugly overtones coming through.

Nice score.​
They'll work with a lot of different heads. What's important is what heads/sound you like.​

^^This too. Actually I tend to think if you put clear or coated ambassadors top and bottom on any drum, you will get the actual sound that the drum wants to sound like. If that makes any sense. Then you could theorize what would happen to the drum if you tried differnt heads, or different combinations. But ambassadors (or G1's) top and bottom, as your starting point as it would be the drum unadulterated.

A 2009 yamaha stage custom. It's hardly been used and in pretty much perfect nick.

10, 12, 14, 20, 14.

I thought it was black when I went to pick it up, also thought it had a 22 (bummer). But the price was right so I still bought it....

Nice score - great sizes, You might end up liking a 20" kick. I prefer it over the 22".

I've tried lots of different heads on those. I have one kit with just the stock heads and those Aquarian studio rings on them. Had one 10" tom that I might not have tuned right, but it didn't sound good to me till I slapped a hydraulic head on it. Even with that heavily damped head, it's still got a bit of a ring to it.
One kit I put S hoops on which gave me a nice sound without changing heads. I've got G2's on one bop kit and gave some pinstripes a try too.
I use Emads on all the kicks though.
Lots of different heads to try over time, But I always just get one first, and try it before getting them for the whole kit.

First band practice with it tonight and I think it's an awesome little kit, so happy I bought it. I wish the 12 was shallower perhaps. I tune the toms tight-ish. The 12 and 14 tune up kinda crap with the stock heads but they sound nice when you've got bass and guitar hiding the overtones. Love the 10.

I stole the ps3 from my Saturn and left it really loose and it sounds perfect. The guitarist in my band said the Saturn 20x18 was louder but then I tuned the batter head a bit tighter among other things. Loving the hardware and also relative lightness of the drums. That Saturn kick was way too heavy to lug around. And those old Sonor drums and stands.

First band practice with it tonight and I think it's an awesome little kit, so happy I bought it. I wish the 12 was shallower perhaps. I tune the toms tight-ish. The 12 and 14 tune up kinda crap with the stock heads but they sound nice when you've got bass and guitar hiding the overtones. Love the 10.

I stole the ps3 from my Saturn and left it really loose and it sounds perfect. The guitarist in my band said the Saturn 20x18 was louder but then I tuned the batter head a bit tighter among other things. Loving the hardware and also relative lightness of the drums. That Saturn kick was way too heavy to lug around. And those old Sonor drums and stands.

put a moon gel on and see if it gets rid of the overtone

Back