Tom in basket vs suspension mounted

BoothSolafide

I have a Yamaha Stage Custom and I recently broke the hardware that holds my tom in the air. I have an extra snare stand and was thinking about using that to mount the tom. I've seen tons of drummers do this done before but when i play, i feel like it really affects the tone of the drum (negatively). Is it really bad for the tone or am I just crazy?

Thanks ahead

I have a Yamaha Stage Custom and I recently broke the hardware that holds my tom in the air. I have an extra snare stand and was thinking about using that to mount the tom. I've seen tons of drummers do this done before but when i play, i feel like it really affects the tone of the drum (negatively). Is it really bad for the tone or am I just crazy?

Thanks ahead

You got the stand, its for you to decide the quality of tone. Maybe a little less tone is what some people like.

We're more interested in what broke on your Yamaha tom mount. Got any pic's?

bustedq.jpg

lol well...Get a load of this, the two bolts (arrows) just fell out randomly while i was playing, and i thought, well the screws looked a little old, it's understandable that they would strip and fall out, but no...the screws were intact, the screws had pulled the threading from the hardwhare itself, so what fell were screws with stainless steel hardware shavings

The kit gives some bang for the buck nonetheless but i'm staying away from Yamaha hardware from here on though, although i do love my Flying Cobra pedals :)

I've seen that happen to the screws on a bunch of different hardware.
If it's not too old a part, it might be under warranty, so check with your drumshop.

I use the tom in a snare stand, but I use the Pearl basket with the rubber cushions that have a lot of give (I bought a new stand for my snare too because it worked so well on the tom).
It doesn't choke the drums sound at all, and it doesn't need a lot of pressure to keep the drum in place when you pick it up & move it.

With the cushion basket and just snug tension, I haven't noticed any difference in the tom sound between the snare stand and on a RIMS. You just have to be aware of how tight you have the drum in the basket.

If you need to use a snare stand right now, try closing the basket some, and place the grips between the flanges of the hoop, then just close it enough to keep it from wobbling.

That should let the tom ring more than just plopping it down fully in the basket and closing it.

Good luck with it.

If you need to use a snare stand right now, try closing the basket some, and place the grips between the flanges of the hoop, then just close it enough to keep it from wobbling.

That should let the tom ring more than just plopping it down fully in the basket and closing it.

Good luck with it.

Whole heartedly agree, its all about the placement of the hoop on the clamps of the basket and not over tensioning them. Unless you're looking for a noticeable thud, then you'll want to tighten it more. However not too much, you may put the shell "out of round".

Firstly it's not very common for yamaha hardware to fail like that. But it is a man made product like anything else there is always that possibility. Yamaha's reputation on their hardware is pretty incredible and in many cases guys switch to it because it is very reliable. Secondly you must have a hybrid pedal a flying cobra would be a yamaha/tama hybrid. Think you meant flying dragon. :)

As for your tom, I've played my 14" tom both ways and haven't really noticed a tone difference you might need to experiment with your tuning to find the right tension that sounds good with it in the basket. Like has been mentioned you might want to be careful with how much tension you put on the drum with the basket arms

Back