SNARE TUNING

For newbies that have know clue or ear like I used to try this.

finger tight all tension rods.
tighten one rod half a turn.
tighten the rod directly opposite half a turn
go back to the first rod, move one rod over and tighten that half a turn
go directly opposite of that rod and tighten half a turn
continue this all around the drum until you go three times around the drum
do the same with the other head.

This will get get you very close to where you want to be. obviously different drums require different settings. You will eventually have to develope your ear to fine tune but I have found most new drummers do not have this ear and only do more damage as they try to fine tune.

Ok, here's an intimate statistic question :p
How many turns do you actually crank each lug of your snare (both top and bottom)?
I'm asking because it seems to me that I'm cranking my Mapex M Birch snare tighter than normal in order to get a standard "paf" sound :)) And also I'm asking because I'm just curious to see how tight do most people tune their snare. I for sure like it tight.

i tune it to the tightest actually. i like the popping sound. then ill start to detune it to get that more crunchy sound with top and bottom. wonder if its wrong im noobie my i love the sound of my snare right now. crunchy+poppy lol

SSSSSSSSS,

I used to crank the crap out of the heads on my snare drum.
I was looking for a drier sound, but I ended up with a more "tinny" sound.
After a certain amount of tension (around 2-2.5 turns), you reach a point of diminshing return, in that the drum just won't get any drier and the pitch won't raise any higher.
Years later, I've found that I wasn't seeing the "big picture" and what I was hearing was also an effect of the shell itself.
Once I started to address EVERYTHING about the snare drum, I found I could slack off on the heads and achieve a darker and more "satisfying" sound.
Nowadays, I actually prefer a little sustain to the sound of the snare drum. If I ever want/need less sustain, I'll lay a muffling ring on, or tape my wallet to, the batter head and that suffices.
Less tension is easier on the hardware, too.
Anymore, I generally tension the heads on all of my drums in the area of 1.25-1.75 turns.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
laurenskye,

The process you lay out works out to 1.5 turns, total.
That's an area that I seem to have settled on over the last 10 years and its working nicely, especially on the two 13" snare drums that make up part of my collection.

However, you didn't address the other aspect of "fine tuning", which is eliminating distortion (and everyone has enough of an ear for that).
Just because you tighten the head a certain amount of turns, on each lug, doesn't mean the head will immediately be in tune with itself (and/or the other head).
Once one has "cracked" the head and then retunes, reaching a point that puts them in the vicinity of a sound they like, they need to tune out the distortion that will most likely be present, by going back and finding the offending areas and adjusting the tension on those lugs, in order to bring everything into...harmony.
Two heads vibrating out of phase can be real head scratcher, sometimes, too, if you're not aware that it could also be the reason behind the distortion heard in a drum.

If you look back, you'll see I touched some of that in the head tuning tutorial I posted in this thread.

Elvis

I read a few answers and they are right. The purpose of snares is to make that buzzing sound. So it just aint going to happen!
Sorry

GEAR: Mapex Pro Maple Series 14x5.5 Snare Drum
SNARE WIRES: Phosphor Bronze Alloy Snare Wires (20 strands)
DRUM HEADS: Remo Coated Ambassador on top, Remo Clear Ambassador on bottom
TUNING: On top head, key of "D". On bottom head, key of "F". Snare wires are a bit tight. A little bit of Blu-Tak Clay on the top head.
I find this as an alternative for moon gels. Sounds great!!

And here's the sample video of what my snare sounds like, critics are welcome. :)
Anyway, I'm just a newbie. Cheers!

Here is the link, -->> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DBlmQk3o6I

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how to get John Bonham's snare sound that is featured on "BBC Sessions". If you know how please message me..

Thanks in advance

Try the Bob Gatzen videos on YouTube - guaranteed to make your snare sing, although you may need to experiement a little with the notes & intervals between the heads he suggests from drum to drum...

Last edited:
srry, no ftp site was taken down. I will see if I can delete it....
???
I'm sorry but that doesn't make sense.
I just clicked on the link and the site is still there.
You didn't neccessarily have to delete it, I was just saying....but, ok, whatever.
Uh....thanks?

Elvis

I used to tune my snare high, but I've learned that snares sound better at medium. A much more full sound, a more pleasant sound, and a better sustain. I use a 6.5x13" Yamaha Brass Nouveau with my band, and I get a more satisfying sound, with great crack as well, about medium-high at the very highest.

Ok Everyone.....I'm brand new and took a look at a couple of posts about Snare Buzz when you strike the other drums....specifically the first Tom which is close to the snare. I read some posts saying there is nothing to be done except for tape which means you can't turn the snare off easily.

There is an easy solution!!!! On Sam Ash .com I purchased these clips that have a small arm and felt pad attached. They install by clipping to the rim (I put them on the bottom side ) and you can actually adjust the felt pad for how firm you want it to touch the head. They install in about 5 seconds and you can't even notice them.

They make the Toms sound like you're in a studio without muffling the drum and killing the sound. And for the snare.....all you need to do is have the felt pad SLIGHTLY touch the snare wires and.....EUREKA......NO BUZZ AT ALL!!! To turn off the snares.....simply reach under and slide the felt pad away. It doesn't even effect the snare sound at all, just eliminates the buzz.

Anyway....Sam Ash.....small rim clips with Felt Pad attached......worth gold!!!

RichieQ

Honestly I am not getting any fun out of tuning my drums. I just dont want to go through that pain. Even if I tune them right, they will be bad after my kind of play. So... I know it is a crime but...... what I have found out that if I put a thin towel on my drums, I get the heavy fat sound that I want.

DUDE....THROW IN THE TOWELS!!!! Besides compromising the look of your drums.....mods like that aren't needed anymore. Read the Richie Q post response to snare tuning buzz. It Works!!!!

RitchieQ,

Not putting down your post(s) but actually, clip-on drum mufflers have been around for a very long time.
Mostly seen on the BD in "the old days" (the big round pad. Check some old pics), they fell out of favour in the 60's because as the "Rock Drummer" came into being, they were found to be ineffective against the more aggresive way those drummers play.
They came back in the 80's, for snares and toms, and are still available.
Basically an internal drum muffler assembly, with a clip.
There are many different variations around these days.
I've seen guys do that with the snares before. It does work, but you really have to dial it in.
There's a fine line between buzz and the snare sounding like a tom, when trying to use that method.
I think Gretsch still offers the internal muffler for their BD's (the twin square pads, not the felt strip style).
I've been thinking about mounting a couple on my little Ludwig BD.
It was good of you to mention it though. Thanks.

Elvis

Oh Yeah Elvis.....they have been around for a while. My first set....an old Slingerland, actually had them mounted internally, with external wingnuts to tighten them or have them off the head completely. And oh yeah.....it is a fine line between making the drum dead, and getting great sound...there is a bit of tweaking to do.

Maybe you can help me. In tuning my toms, what happens, and what kind of sound and head response do you get by removing the bottom head completely? My old Slingerlands had no bottoms, but I now have Tama Imperialstars. I bought the tama's because I am just getting back into drumming. I wont end up in a band or anything, just having fun trying to recapture some of my youth. Now as a "grown up"....I have a nice house with basement privacy and I really enjoy it. anyway, should I remove the bottoms....or tune them better? I like the "studio sound" but want a lively responsive batter head.

Thanks

Richie Q

Hey Rich,

Yeah, that's always a tough question to answer, but the reality is, how do you want your drums to sound?
Removing the resonant side heads will dry out the sound of the drums and make them a bit "thinner" sounding as well.
Should you do that?
Again, that's up to you. My best advice is to simply try it and see what you think....you can always put those resonant side heads back on if you don't like the "concert tom" sound.

BTW, are those Imperialstar drums new, or the ones they made back in the 70's and 80's?

Elvis

Elvis,

Haven't been here in a while. Anyway, the Tama's are new. They do sound good, and without the bottom head, they sound loud, but dead......no carry at all. Actually, I tuned the bottoms and batter heads and just kept tweaking them. Now, they sound great. The afforementioned mufflers are still there, but just barely touching the bottom head if at all. Seems like I just needed a bit more time to experiment. A little tighter on the batter, and looser on the bottom....made all the difference in the world.

Oh, I did replace the standard Meinl cymbals that came with the set with Zildjians. I had Zildjians way back when and they seem to sound even better today.

Richie Q

Back