Marching Band Scholarships

taben

Are there any Universities that offer scholarships to marching band members, percussionist especially? Seems like most place drumline is a tryout position. Wondering if the band recruit?

T

Most universities in the US have a variety of scholarships available for musicians. Contact your high school's guidance counselor and they can help you get more information from the schools that you are interested in.

Also, I don't think a music program would recruit specific high school musicians for marching band. Even the most popular marching programs are not money makers or prestige generators for the school like the sports programs are, so I doubt that there is any point in recruiting high school musicians.

I do know USC (south carolina) has started a marching band "scholarship" this year. They are trying to get more members. If you are an out of state tuition and you do marching band you get a pretty hefty discount.

Most would offer scholarships for music majors. If you have a desire to study music, and can audition your percussion skills beyond drum line. But things change all of the time. As was mentioned check with a counselor.

Skip your school counselor and contact the schools you're interested in directly. Most likely your school counselor knows next to nothing when it comes to the workings of music in a college setting. My son is a junior in high school who will be auditioning at music conservatories next year. His high school is clueless when it comes to anything even remotely related to what he needs to do to gain acceptance. I'd email the college's music admissions office they will be your best best for true information.

Back