DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 09-24-2009, 06:54 PM

Default Re: Gavin Harrison here!

Hey Gavin!
I get to see you folks at Rams Head Live! tomorrow! That venue rocks! I hope you have a good show!
-Stan
Old 09-24-2009, 07:24 PM

This is the oldest footage of Gavin I have ever seen. Gavin, you look like your about 18 here !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MQy-...eature=related
Old 09-24-2009, 08:02 PM
Gold Member

Hello Gavin!

First off I'd like to thank you sincerely for being one of the biggest inspirations for me in my musical journey!!

anywho, the question I'd like to ask is in "Bonnie The Cat", is the song in 4/4 with your crazy rhythmic illusion over top, or is it just an odd time sig. that a mere mortal like me can't comprehend? ;)

thanx for taking the time on your busy tour schedule to read this!

-Jonathan

and a like facebook.com/tylordorytrio
Old 09-24-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pass.of.E.r.a. View Post
Hello Gavin!

the question I'd like to ask is in "Bonnie The Cat", is the song in 4/4 with your crazy rhythmic illusion over top, or is it just an odd time sig. that a mere mortal like me can't comprehend? ;)

-Jonathan
Just scroll up to post #3610 and you'll see for yourself
Old 09-24-2009, 11:04 PM

Hi Gavin,

I'm hearing The Incident every morning on my way to work and I love it! One question about Time Flies and "counting" in general.
Wwhat determines the time signature in a song? Especially with illusions and rythmic manipulations (like overrides etc.), this seems more vague for me.

I can count (or feel) Time Flies as 4/4, 6/8 or 3/4. But which of the three is "correct"? The illusion you already described (having the snare on the 2 and 5 instead of 3 and 5) counts in 6/8. But I think that the illusion creates a sense of 4/4 and that the song can be transcribed in 4/4 (though with a different tempo).
Old 09-24-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
Hi Roger//

But at the Modern Drummer Festival you use a Coated PS3 right?
What do you find is the difference between coated en clear PS3's?

I use the clear Powerstroke 3. They have a more eq'd sound to them - they have a little less middle frequency.

cheers
Gavin
This must make you laugh...
When i Saw the video, the white i saw was the pillow;)
Sorry Gavin. Guess I need to look a little closer next time;)

cheers

Roger//
Old 09-25-2009, 08:58 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Liquid_Drummer

This is the oldest footage of Gavin I have ever seen. Gavin, you look like your about 18 here !

Yes I was 19 there. That was my first tour of the States. Big old Gretsch kit.

Hi Pass.of.E.r.a.

the question I'd like to ask is in "Bonnie The Cat", is the song in 4/4 with your crazy rhythmic illusion over top, or is it just an odd time sig. that a mere mortal like me can't comprehend? ;)

It all in 4/4 - it's interesting that when you deviate the bass drum and snare from their 'usual' place that folks start to perceive it as something else. That what Rhythmic Illusions are all about.

Hi SantiBanks

What determines the time signature in a song?
I can count (or feel) Time Flies as 4/4, 6/8 or 3/4. But which of the three is "correct"? The illusion you already described (having the snare on the 2 and 5 instead of 3 and 5) counts in 6/8. But I think that the illusion creates a sense of 4/4 and that the song can be transcribed in 4/4 (though with a different tempo).

They are all correct . You can it or feel it any way you want. I think of the song in 6/8. That's what Rhythmic Perspectives are all about.

cheers
Gavin
Old 09-26-2009, 04:33 AM

Hi Gavin,

congrats on the new album, I can't stop listening to it, there's some new idea or fill that i pick up from it every time!

What are the chances of PT coming to Australia, particularly, Perth? I was devastated when I couldn't go last time you were here.

If you do, feel free to come round for a jam! :P

Thanks
Cowieee
Old 09-26-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Hi Liquid_Drummer

Yes I was 19 there. That was my first tour of the States. Big old Gretsch kit.
I think it requires a lot of talent to play music like this with a band, on stage, at this age. Amazing…

Quote:
Hi SantiBanks

What determines the time signature in a song?

They are all correct . You can it or feel it any way you want. I think of the song in 6/8. That's what Rhythmic Perspectives are all about.

cheers
Gavin
Thanks for the insight!
Btw, I got the 2 live bonustracks from 7digital and I enjoyed them very much. I really love the ends of both songs (though I recall the first night having a much longer illusion in way out of here). Looking forward to the dvd!

See you in a couple of weeks :)
Old 09-26-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantiBanks View Post
I think it requires a lot of talent to play music like this with a band, on stage, at this age. Amazing
I second that! Really impressive!
Old 09-26-2009, 08:03 PM

Hey, Gavin!

My family, girlfriend and I went to the Chicago show on Tuesday and it was absolutely amazing. I'm just sorry I wasn't able to catch you after the show. There's a little spot on the upper left part of my Incident deluxe edition that should have your name on it ;)

Guess I have an excuse to go to a show or two on the next U.S. leg (as if I needed one). Hope I get to meet you next time!
Old 09-27-2009, 12:47 AM

Default Schism

Gavin,

I was on the "ask gavin harrison" site the other day. One user posted a comment asking your opinion on Tool. You said they are a great band (can't argue with that), also, you said your favorite song of Lateralus was Schism. After google-ing Schism I have read many forums in which they say that the song goes through about 20 or so time signature changes.

I can play along with Schism, note for note on the drums, but I don't really sense or hear the time signature changes. Mainly, it sounds like 5/4 or 10/4 to me. What do you think of it? Is it a song you've played along to on your set?

Speaking of drumsets, you both use Sonor kits, have you ever incorporated electronic trigger pads into your set? Or do you prefer purely acoustic kits?

Thanks
Old 09-27-2009, 06:44 AM

Awesome show in Philly tonight Gavin! I was front left, about 5 people from the front. Gray shirt, black zip-up hoodie. 100% seeing PT next time they come around. I feel like getting on my kit right now and its almost 1am. Thanks for the music and inspiration!

Oh, I almost forgot! Did you add a new china to your setup? Looked like you had another, maybe 20 or 22 inch to the left of you. Nice magic trick during Trains as well!

Last edited by DrummerStan; 09-27-2009 at 07:48 AM.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:38 PM

Hi Gavin,

I have a question: my set is: 10 - 12 - 14 - 16, and i have problems of tunes, because of course you know, the interval from 12 to 14 sometimes is too much little and from 12 to 16 sometimes is too much big! Also, sometimes i like to have the 14's tom on the left of set. You have the same sizes, but i remember when you had a 15's tom in the Pearl set. How i can resolve this problem? Do you tune your 16's tom like a 15?
Also, i'm very exiting for your coming DVD, i have all your works, but i would have the italian subtitles.....! Whatever, i expect this DVD with anxiety! Thank you!

Last edited by daniele; 09-28-2009 at 12:49 AM.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:59 PM

Hey Gavin,

It was great to meet you in Baltimore, thank you for taking the time to sign stuff and take pictures with us fans...it really means a lot!

I had a question, I noticed you were using Vic Firth's sticks with a red lower half. I checked online and it appears that they are these: http://www.vicfirth.com/products/ame...c_vicgrip.html

I was curious as to how well they work? I have used several grips and some work better than others, but I would to try something new and it seems pretty cool that the grips are 'built in' to these new sticks.....how do these new Vic Firths hold up?

And that magic trick was very cool!

Thanks again Gavin!
Old 09-28-2009, 01:40 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibeachhead View Post
And that magic trick was very cool!
:P Can someone explain? I live in Argentina, so it's not likely I'll see Porcupine Tree live for a while, and everyone's talking about some "trick". Would really like to know XD!

Oh, yeah, I'll use this post to also ask a question since I'm at it. It's about Slippin' Away at PASIC (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKCIUpW3q9s) At 2:00 you play a short displacement which I think is something like this:

I know it's pretty simple, but I really like how it sounds and I was wondering if that's close.
Alright, thanks Gavin, I hope everything is going well with the tour!

Fox.

Last edited by Fox622003; 09-28-2009 at 03:12 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox622003 View Post
Oh, yeah, I'll use this post to also ask a question since I'm at it. It's about Slippin' Away at PASIC (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKCIUpW3q9s) At 2:00 you play a short displacement which I think is something like this:

I know it's pretty simple, but I really like how it sounds and I was wondering if that's close.
Alright, thanks Gavin, I hope everything is going well with the tour!
Fox.
There's a complete transcription of Slippin' Away here.
The part you meant is bar 62.

Greets
huXler
Old 09-28-2009, 08:00 PM

Gavin, I enjoyed meeting you in Philadelphia - an 8 hour drive for me, waiting an hour in the rain after the show just to say hello - well worth it! Thanks for taking the time to acknowledge your fans, I know you all must be knackered... You crew seemed very meticulous - I'm sure your grateful to have them with you.

Wonderful show, only thing I missed was the drum solo ;-) Hope to see you in the Spring.

Jiva
Old 09-28-2009, 08:15 PM

Fantastic show in Boston last night. Having only seen the band on DVD, where you all seem quite serious, it was quite refreshing to see the looseness and humor at this show plus an absolutely stellar setlist. Was I hallucinating or on Muzak, in the first chorus, did you continue to play the chorus part going into the short bridge before the second verse?. If so, you made the best recovery ever..

great magic trick as well

good luck on the rest of the tour...
Old 09-28-2009, 09:21 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huXler View Post
There's a complete transcription of Slippin' Away here.
The part you meant is bar 62.

Greets
huXler
Thanks! That's a very very nice transcription.

Fox.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:37 PM

Great show last night! Unfortunately (at least where i was standing, right near Steven) the bass drum in the mix was a bit too loud, even for the opening band, but other than that it was a great solid show.
One question about the show though, how come you guys didn't play the entire Anesthetize or Russia on Ice though? I mean I know you probably have a time restraint, but I guess I'd rather hear one or the other all the way through, like you either played Bonnie or Remember Me Lover it looked like from other setlists, and was expecting you to go nuts on the drums at the end of Russia that was cut :\ Just me though, I don't mean to complain, but some of my favorite PT moments are at the end of Anesthetize. You know if the entirety of Anesthetize will be on the upcoming DVD at least?
But yeah, that guitar Steven had there during Russia was pretty much the coolest thing I have ever seen, and the show as a whole I will probably remember for a very long time, though it would have been better if those guys weren't smoking pot behind me and my friends... why can't they just enjoy the show like everyone else :P
I also do wish I didn't miss out on the meet and greet, though I heard someone in the band was feeling ill and you left in like a half hour anyways, but idk, maybe you could help clear that up.

Oh yeah, and thanks for the magic trick in the middle of Trains. Very entertaining :]
Old 09-29-2009, 02:10 AM

Hey Gavin can't wait to see, you, Porcupine Tree and King's X tomorow (september 29th) in MOntreal , it will be a very great show!
Old 09-29-2009, 04:09 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi Cowieee

What are the chances of PT coming to Australia, particularly, Perth?

We're hoping to come back to Australia early next year but I don't know exactly which towns we'll come to.

Hi euphoric_anomaly

I can play along with Schism, note for note on the drums, but I don't really sense or hear the time signature changes. Mainly, it sounds like 5/4 or 10/4 to me. What do you think of it? Is it a song you've played along to on your set?

I hear the verse groove as 5/8 + 7/8 I haven't tried playing along to it.

Speaking of drumsets, you both use Sonor kits, have you ever incorporated electronic trigger pads into your set? Or do you prefer purely acoustic kits?

I don't use any pads or triggers in my set - I prefer to keep it all acoustic.

Hi DrummerStan

Did you add a new china to your setup? Looked like you had another, maybe 20 or 22 inch to the left of you.

Yes it's a 22" Swish Knocker without the rivets.

Hi daniele

I have a question: my set is: 10 - 12 - 14 - 16, and i have problems of tunes, because of course you know, the interval from 12 to 14 sometimes is too much little and from 12 to 16 sometimes is too much big! Also, sometimes i like to have the 14's tom on the left of set. You have the same sizes, but i remember when you had a 15's tom in the Pearl set. How i can resolve this problem? Do you tune your 16's tom like a 15?

In my UK Sonor set I have a 15" & 16" floor tom. I prefer the 15" to a 14".

Hi gibeachhead

I had a question, I noticed you were using Vic Firth's sticks with a red lower half. I checked online and it appears that they are these: http://www.vicfirth.com/products/ame...c_vicgrip.html. I was curious as to how well they work?

Yes they are the Rock model and I'm really enjoying the Vic Grip. Everything feels slightly more secure.

Hi Fox622003

:P Can someone explain? I live in Argentina, so it's not likely I'll see Porcupine Tree live for a while, and everyone's talking about some "trick". Would really like to know XD!

Don't worry about it - it's just a joke.

Yes your transcription looks good to me.

Hi Iamperjay

Was I hallucinating or on Muzak, in the first chorus, did you continue to play the chorus part going into the short bridge before the second verse?. If so, you made the best recovery ever..

Yes I didn't know what day it was and I thought we were playing the 2nd chorus which is twice as long as the first one.

Hi The Bassist

One question about the show though, how come you guys didn't play the entire Anesthetize or Russia on Ice though?

We don't have the time to play all of the songs in their entirety. We're trying to fit in as much of the older stuff as we can but we're already playing more than 30 minutes more than usual.

cheers
Gavin
Old 09-29-2009, 04:44 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Just a word from me:

THANK YOU SO MUCH GAVIN for taking time to answer all these questions. This means a lot to us on Drummerworld Forum and also for me personally. So great - thanks again. What a difference to some other name drummers which only comes in to toot their horn or praise some of their new products and dissappear for a long time in the dust.....

And to our members: Thanks for your great questions - drumwise, technique wise. But please don't ask for Gavin's opinion about other drummers or bands too much - this becomes very quick uncomfortable ....and is also the reason, why so many top drummers avoid to join forums at all.

And yes - love the Swish Knocker too - not easy to handle - would probably be a good idea for me to remove some rivets too.

Bernhard
Old 09-29-2009, 04:46 PM

Gavin, I was reading an "over practice" thread about trying to not get in a rut or being too tired mentally from practice long hours at one go... Everyone asks you how you warm up but I was wondering how you personally keep "fresh" on tour. I've seen the "hand blister/callous fotos" and I realize the toll on the body but how about the mind?

You have awesome music but playing night after night and riding around all over the planet (in the rain!) I know you guys must be kinda cooked - what are you doing to try to keep focused, fresh, and not get boiled by the shear volume and intensity of the tour. Please know that I thought the band sounded very relaxed and very together but I was hoping you'd share some personal thoughts on the fatigue issues that naturally come with the profession.

Thanks,

Jiva
Old 09-29-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard View Post
Just a word from me:

THANK YOU SO MUCH GAVIN for taking time to answer all these questions. This means a lot to us on Drummerworld Forum and also for me personally. So great - thanks again. What a difference to some other name drummers which only comes in to toot their horn or praise some of their new products and dissappear for a long time in the dust.....
I echo this statement. Thanks for all your precious time and patience. It is very appreciated. I'll be at the show tonight, can't wait.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:28 PM

Gavin -

thanks for taking the time to address our questions - it is most appreciated! My question:

I'm usually pretty good at figuring out patterns, but I have to ask - at the end of the heavy middle section of "Way Out of Here," when you play it live, it gets insanely intense with a whole bunch of china hits over choppy double kick patterns - what's going on here? It's hard for me to make out these fast patterns; what are the typical kick / china patterns you might be using on that part?

All the best-
Cyg
Old 09-29-2009, 08:38 PM

Well, the day is finally here!! My girlfriend and I are sitting in our hotel room right around the corner from the Metropolis in rainy Montreal resting our sore feet before heading over to wait for the big show. I can't wait much longer (good thing I don't have to). I've been so looking forward to hearing you play this stuff live, Gavin. The new album is incredible, and I see today that David Fricke at Rolling Stone agrees. Congrats to you and the other guys for all of the great reviews the album and tour have been getting!! I'll see YOU tonight! ;)

Kev
Old 09-30-2009, 12:41 AM

Gavin, I just wanted to let you know, the show on Saturday in Philly was AMAZING!!!

I did want to ask you something, if you can remember...right after the solo in Sound of Muzak, you played a fill before coming back into the chorus, you ended it a little late ( I think you came in on the 2?). Anyway, I was wondering, was that something you were planning on, or did you just accidentally come in late? Either way, it was awesome considering you knew exactly where you were when you came out of it.

P.S. I was so freakin' excited when you guys started playing Bonnie The Cat. I think I actually shrieked like a little girl when it started. I cannot get enough of that song!!
Old 09-30-2009, 03:56 AM

G'day gavin congrats on the new album. Not as much "drumming" as FOABP but you support the whole song cycle just awesomly. i was just wondering. in the end of Octane Twisted how did you record that beat? and what is the cymbal that you use? is it a hammerax boomywang or the swish knocker mentioned earlier? also in your career have you had and injuries sustaned from drumming? thanx and i look forward to seeing you on tour hopefully soon. cheers
Old 09-30-2009, 09:04 AM

Hey there Gavin,

First off again, thanks for taking time to read and reply.
It mean a lot to me.

What kind of pillow (Size) (shop maybe?) do you use in your bassdrum?
Must be pretty big... right? Dimentions?
Old 10-01-2009, 01:20 AM

Hi Gavin, just wanna say thanks for the great show in Montreal, i traveled from Quebec to get there, it was amazing, great set list! Haha Gavin the magician!, i just want to know something, are you playing the exact same set list every show or you just go random on the 2nd set?

Thx Again!
Old 10-01-2009, 02:51 AM

Quote:

One question about the show though, how come you guys didn't play the entire Anesthetize or Russia on Ice though?

We don't have the time to play all of the songs in their entirety. We're trying to fit in as much of the older stuff as we can but we're already playing more than 30 minutes more than usual.

cheers
Gavin
Yeah, I figured that was it, but it was still a great show anyways and I am grateful that those songs were played at all, especially with that guitar with the screen on it. You have any idea what type of guitar that was? I've never even heard of a guitar like that before.

I do have one drumming related question though, if you don't mind.
In Gravity Eyelids you do that fill at about 6:18 that sounds awesome. I found a post a while back from this thread where you said it was a R L R R L pattern that you used, but I still can't seem to figure it out. I realize you're on tour so transposing it to sheet music might not be doable for you, but maybe one of the other guys here who does that could point me in the right direction?
Old 10-01-2009, 08:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Drummer View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MQy-...eature=related
Wow yes, considering your age and tightness in that video, no wonder you're this good now:D!
It's awesome to me how one already recognises your style and language, as well as your drum setup, hehe. It's a real sign of musicality and identity I believe, because if a young drummer "just" has technique, he sounds like all the other technique wizards with no character, and won't be recognized 25 years later... If you guys know what I mean...
Old 10-01-2009, 02:26 PM

Review in Hindustan Times Cafe :)
Old 10-01-2009, 11:08 PM

Hi Gavin, I'm very much looking forward to the hammersmith apollo show on the 9th of october :) You are a huge influence/inspiration to me, and I've been hooked since I first saw/heard of you at Drummer live 2008. To be honest with you, I don't really know much porcupine tree stuff, I just jumped at the chance to see you play live again. Any how, if you reply to this I would appreciate any recommendations/tips for drum microphones. I use a similar set-up to you, minus the 8"x7" tom. Sound-wise, again, similar to yours. Thanks a lot for the inspiration, Phil.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:47 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Hi jivadayadasa

Gavin, I was reading an "over practice" thread about trying to not get in a rut or being too tired mentally from practice long hours at one go... Everyone asks you how you warm up but I was wondering how you personally keep "fresh" on tour. I've seen the "hand blister/callous fotos" and I realize the toll on the body but how about the mind?

It's a good question. I try to get out of the habit of just seeing the venue dressing room and stage - and go out walking or riding around the local town to experience some other things. I meet up with friends from all over the place and I listen to very varied music when I'm on tour. The mental state affects everything and the longer you're on tour the harder it can get.

Hi cygnify

I'm usually pretty good at figuring out patterns, but I have to ask - at the end of the heavy middle section of "Way Out of Here," when you play it live, it gets insanely intense with a whole bunch of china hits over choppy double kick patterns - what's going on here? It's hard for me to make out these fast patterns; what are the typical kick / china patterns you might be using on that part?

It's is basically an Afro Cuban 6/8 pattern played over a displaced herta on the bass drums. The herta starts on the 2nd 16th.

Hi <3Josh<3

I did want to ask you something, if you can remember...right after the solo in Sound of Muzak, you played a fill before coming back into the chorus, you ended it a little late ( I think you came in on the 2?). Anyway, I was wondering, was that something you were planning on, or did you just accidentally come in late? Either way, it was awesome considering you knew exactly where you were when you came out of it.

Yes you're right - I played a fast fill and then got my right stick caught under one of the floor tom mics - so I couldn't hit a "1".

Hi Hurlza

i was just wondering. in the end of Octane Twisted how did you record that beat? and what is the cymbal that you use?

It would be the 18" Z China. I don't quite understand what you mean by "How did I record that beat"?

also in your career have you had and injuries sustaned from drumming?

Not really physical injuries - but I do have some amount of tinnitus - which is no fun at all.

Hi Roger//

What kind of pillow (Size) (shop maybe?) do you use in your bassdrum?
Must be pretty big... right? Dimentions?

It's the heaviest feather pillow I could find. It's a pretty regular bed size pillow.

Hi ProgJazzy(QC)

Hi Gavin, just wanna say thanks for the great show in Montreal, i traveled from Quebec to get there, it was amazing, great set list! Haha Gavin the magician!, i just want to know something, are you playing the exact same set list every show or you just go random on the 2nd set?

We have a pool of songs to choose from to make the set list for the 2nd part of the show. We normally find a set that has a good flow - and then some songs get swapped out night after night.

Hi The Bassist

In Gravity Eyelids you do that fill at about 6:18 that sounds awesome. I found a post a while back from this thread where you said it was a R L R R L pattern that you used, but I still can't seem to figure it out. I realize you're on tour so transposing it to sheet music might not be doable for you, but maybe one of the other guys here who does that could point me in the right direction?

maybe Terry B could do it if he has time???

Hi drumbumhamza - thanks for the review.

Hi Phil Brodermann

Any how, if you reply to this I would appreciate any recommendations/tips for drum microphones. I use a similar set-up to you, minus the 8"x7" tom

here's a list of all the stuff I'm currently using

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavin_Harrison

cheers
Gavin
Old 10-02-2009, 10:36 PM

Hey, Gavin! I just saw you in Toronto two nights ago... great show! The Incident sounded great live, and I really like the album as a whole.
After the show, I saw you come out to the main area with a Corona in hand, lol, and you started talking with a bunch of guys. My girlfriend and I were sitting in two chairs by the exit doors, and we were waiting to talk to you. I was wearing a gray sweater, if that helps. We didn't want to interupt you when you were talking to those people. After a few minutes, they kicked us out and we never got to meet you! We're so upset! Out of all the members of PT, I wanted to meet you the most... You looked at us a few times, lol, and when we were kicked out, I had to walk away... it hurt. I hope you return in Spring like Steven said, and hopefully, we can meet you that night! I'd love to see you guys again.
On a side note: My girlfriend said you were better looking than she expected (she's never seen you before), haha. Take care!
Old 10-03-2009, 12:03 AM
Official DW Chief Transcriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bassist View Post

I do have one drumming related question though, if you don't mind.

Ok, here you go. Have fun!

Terry
Old 10-03-2009, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry B. View Post
Ok, here you go. Have fun!

Terry
Thank you so much!!!