DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:42 PM
sticks4drums

Default Six a.m.- This is Gonna Hurt

I got an itunes card for Fathers day, and bought this album, or whatever you call it now. I already had a single from their first album last year, but this album really impressed me. I don't think there is a dud on it. It is very mainstream, but easy to listen to. The drums are programmed, which I don't like, and you can tell. I guess it was easier than fighting with one of us block heads. :) The lyrics seem to have a conscious which I like. I really like the vocalists sound. Give it a listen. .

Last edited by sticks4drums; 06-21-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:03 PM

Default Re: Six a.m.- This is Gonna Hurt

Where's the link?

Old 06-21-2011, 06:24 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.I.B. View Post
Where's the link?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0-mMCFtY4Q. Just go to itunes and have a listen, and then buy, don't steal, their Music.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:38 PM

I love that song. Nikki Sixx has done well with this group. Better than Motley IMO. Great post Sticks!!

Sabian / DW / Evans / Vic Firth
Old 06-21-2011, 06:45 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
I love that song. Nikki Sixx has done well with this group. Better than Motley IMO. Great post Sticks!!
If you listen to the whole album it is very well done. I am not a Crue fan, but this album is good.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:03 PM
Silver Member

Check out the first album as well. Good stuff.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:04 PM

Sticks,

Thanks for turning me on to this.

-r
Old 06-21-2011, 09:36 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvsmb View Post
Sticks,

Thanks for turning me on to this.

-r
Your welcome.....................
Old 06-21-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
If you listen to the whole album it is very well done. I am not a Crue fan, but this album is good.
Yeah their first album is very good to. I have no doubt this one is good also. Gonna pick it up as soon as i get a chance.

Sabian / DW / Evans / Vic Firth
Old 06-24-2011, 06:17 AM

I use Superior Drummer at home and well I couldn't tell these drums were programmed...this is a good album but most songs are very influential of mainstream artists. I'd have to listen back but one track well if I was Muse I'd probably sue...

But overall not a bad album, some awesome lead solo's and I didn't realise there was a first album
Old 06-26-2011, 04:22 AM

Sounds like the drums are a product of sound replacement and not programming. Unfortunately, even if there's a live drummer (which Sixx AM has, and a very good one at that in Glen Sobel and/or Tony Palermo) that drummers hits are tweaked to be /exactly/ on time thanks to Pro Tools and other editing software and the tones from the drums are replaced with individually sampled drums to get /exactly/ the right tone for each song.

I hate the phrase "everyone is doing it" because I feel like I'm back in middle school trying to get the newest fashion trend. However, consider even the Foo Fighters, who tracked their newest album on tape (!) edited it digitally and used sound replacement on the drums. Even the guys that "do it old school" end up falling into the traps of the mainstream monotony. Call me old fashioned (at 27) but I enjoy listening to "vintage" rock albums and hearing an occasional rim, off beat hit (not talking "Livin' in the USA" by Steve Miller where the tempo is overtly pushed into next week), and tiny- otherwise unnoticeable- gaffs in the song. It's called being human, it's called being a musician, and it's called letting the song breathe.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNystrom View Post
I hate the phrase "everyone is doing it" because I feel like I'm back in middle school trying to get the newest fashion trend. However, consider even the Foo Fighters, who tracked their newest album on tape (!) edited it digitally and used sound replacement on the drums. Even the guys that "do it old school" end up falling into the traps of the mainstream monotony. Call me old fashioned (at 27) but I enjoy listening to "vintage" rock albums and hearing an occasional rim, off beat hit (not talking "Livin' in the USA" by Steve Miller where the tempo is overtly pushed into next week), and tiny- otherwise unnoticeable- gaffs in the song. It's called being human, it's called being a musician, and it's called letting the song breathe.
Good post, & I agree. I'm hopeful that eventually this practice will be going against the tide, but don't hold your breath on that. The straight truth, horrible though it is, is that the vast majority of band fans just don't give a damn. Acts don't make albums for the consumption of musicians, or at least, very few do. Shame, because I don't think the drum sounds on that track are especially great, & they could certainly be attained/bettered by a well tuned kit & a bit of desk/outboard work. Nice song hook though.