DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:16 AM

Default Brand new drummer seeks advice

Hey and thanks for having me,

Here's my situation. I'm a guitarist of 30 years who has always had a deep love and respect for drums. Living conditions have always inhibited me from owning a drum set so I never really took the plunge and started learning until now. I'm planning on purchasing a drum set soon but in the mean time I've purchased a practice pad and some sticks. I've been working for a week about 2 hours a day pretty much entirely on single stroke roll and single stroke 4s as well as some excercises from an alfred drum book that came with the pad. I really don't have the time or money for a drum teacher at the moment. But I was wondering if anyone could outline a good started practice schedule for me. What to work on for how long each day etc. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks in advance!

PC
Old 06-23-2011, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Brand new drummer seeks advice

Hi PC,

I would say simply work on the main rudiments i.e. Singles, Doubles, Paradiddles, Flams and work through as many accent variations to really control them - the speed will happen in time.

When practicing these play other rudiments with your feet, so maybe doubles with the hands against paradiddles with the feet - pergaps have either hands or feet at double the tempo of the other?

Without a kit there's still a huge amount you can learn so when you're in a position to buy one you are already on the right track.

Hope thats helps a bit

Dan
http://www.dansdrumlessons.com
The Online Drum School
Old 06-23-2011, 02:45 PM

^^^^^^^ What he said lol. And also you should work out with a metronome occasionally just to make sure you are keeping the beat steady. I know you said you have been a long time guitar player so you should be pretty good at it, but it never hurts to check.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:45 PM
Platinum Member

if you can scrape together a little cash, i'd recommend tommy igoe's dvd "great hands for a lifetime". it's a little advanced, but it does have some excellent tips about how to hold the sticks and what playing techniques work well. he and his students reach some pretty breathtaking speeds with rudiments in that dvd, but like he points out, you don't need to go fast. just work at whatever pace is comfortable.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:33 PM
Gold Member

You will get bored though just doing pad work. The fun comes with playing a groove and so be mindful of this. It needs to be fun.

Davo
Old 06-24-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo-London View Post
You will get bored though just doing pad work. The fun comes with playing a groove and so be mindful of this. It needs to be fun.

Davo
+ 1