Saw Journey last night

New Tricks

Platinum Member
I realized last night that I hadn't been to an arena concert since David Bowie in 1983 lol.

I saw Journey last night and it was a great show except for one thing.

The drummer had those snare drum looking kick sub mic things on his kit and they mixed them way too hot and over powered the sound all night.

It was still a great performance though. It was extremely professional. These guys pay attention to detail.

And, the drummer seemed happy to be playing with them again.

Yes. I went to a Boston concert recently, and I found the same thing with the drums.
The drums sounded like cannons! When the drummer hit the 12 Inch rack tom it sounded like an explosion. Very un-real sounding drums. However, the band was so loud that there was no other way to create a good mix without booming drums. Actually, the mix was very good. The drums were not louder than the guitar and vocals.

Also I noticed that the drummer was not hitting the drums very hard.
A good thing I guess, because he did not have to work too be heard over the guitars and keyboard.
The booming explosive sound of the drums was almost completely manufactured using electronics.

Oh I bet that was a lot of fun. How was Arnel?

Found a documentary on him and how he joined Journey on Netflix. Really moving stuff, that is a guy that has really paid his dues. Incredible voice too.

Oh I bet that was a lot of fun. How was Arnel?

Found a documentary on him and how he joined Journey on Netflix. Really moving stuff, that is a guy that has really paid his dues. Incredible voice too.

I've watched the thing on Netflix a couple time. It's a great story.

And yeah, he was great, as was the whole band. Dave Mason was OK for the nostalgia factor.

I was never a Doobie Bros fan. Great music and musicians, just not my style.

The show improved 100X overall when Journey took the stage.

I've watched a few of the clips, and it's nice to see Steve Smith with them again, if only for pure nostalgia.

I don't really dig the "new" singer, though. IDK. There are a couple small technical things I noticed, but I think the biggest thing is, he isn't Steve Perry, lol.

And those haircuts. Dear god. It's classic rock, not a new wave cover band...

I only liked Steve's 'do, lol.

You couldn't pay me to see Journey or whatever they are now. The Doobies on the other hand I'd be interested in. Saw them twice back in their prime as a teenager. Once at the Capitol Theater in Passaic NJ where I had seats front center only about 10 rows back. Must have been only 13 or 14 at the time. I like playing to their music, both on drums and bass. One of my favorite bands.

Whatever they are now? lol

What they are is a group of extremely hard working and top tier, talented musicians who have kept working decades after most bands burn out, die or just roll over and give up.

Hell, they earn a substantial living and entertain stadium sized crowds playing about a dozen songs :)

We should all aspire to be that successful in any area of our lives.

Whatever they are now? lol

What they are is a group of extremely hard working and top tier, talented musicians who have kept working decades after most bands burn out, die or just roll over and give up.

Hell, they earn a substantial living and entertain stadium sized crowds playing about a dozen songs :)

We should all aspire to be that successful in any area of our lives.

I'm sure they are in fact good musicians although never cared for their music, simple as that. As far as aspiring to be successful, well, I was able to retire at 49, own three homes and put my daughter through medical school. Not too shabby.

I'm sure they are in fact good musicians although never cared for their music, simple as that. As far as aspiring to be successful, well, I was able to retire at 49, own three homes and put my daughter through medical school. Not too shabby.

Not shabby at all !!!

But not Journey :)

Not shabby at all !!!

But not Journey :)

That's the thing, though - excepting the singer, it IS Journey. Every one of these guys was a member during the band's heyday, when their biggest hits were produced.

Only 'good' musicians'? Hmmm.
And, well, I am simply not understanding the need to say the rest of that. Success has many definitions, and life's not a contest.

Only 'good' musicians'? Hmmm.
And, well, I am simply not understanding the need to say the rest of that. Success has many definitions, and life's not a contest.

But, but, but... he has THREE houses!!

Yes. I went to a Boston concert recently, and I found the same thing with the drums.
The drums sounded like cannons! When the drummer hit the 12 Inch rack tom it sounded like an explosion. Very un-real sounding drums. However, the band was so loud that there was no other way to create a good mix without booming drums. Actually, the mix was very good. The drums were not louder than the guitar and vocals.

Also I noticed that the drummer was not hitting the drums very hard.
A good thing I guess, because he did not have to work too be heard over the guitars and keyboard.
The booming explosive sound of the drums was almost completely manufactured using electronics.

The Boston sound is all triggered. I see all the tour pics on FB. It's a shame, the music needs a good ol' fashioned loud rock drummer.

Tom Scholz has never been the best at getting a good drum sound...bloody guitarists!

Anyhoo back to Journey, I think they're using the Subkicks because Mr Smith is using 2 22x14 Sonor Vintage Bass Drums and the bass drum tone needs a boost for the bigger venues.

Guessing he want's the 80s sound without having to play big bass drums and power toms.

Like the OP said, this is definitely a mix problem. I use a subkick on all our gigs, even small clubs -- it is most effective when used subtly, more of a "felt" than "heard" effect.

The Boston sound is all triggered. I see all the tour pics on FB. It's a shame, the music needs a good ol' fashioned loud rock drummer.

Tom Scholz has never been the best at getting a good drum sound...bloody guitarists!

Anyhoo back to Journey, I think they're using the Subkicks because Mr Smith is using 2 22x14 Sonor Vintage Bass Drums and the bass drum tone needs a boost for the bigger venues.

Guessing he want's the 80s sound without having to play big bass drums and power toms.

I remember seeing him with Warriors(basically Jean Luc Ponty without JLP) back in the day and the sound guy could change the BD sound on the fly depending upon the tune(and that was back in the 80's).

Never got the oversized drum thing.
Seemed to more of a fashion statement than a musical trend.

There's been a guy on Craigslist here in the SF bay trying to sell a bubinga kit just like Steve used to play and it's been posted on and off for years with no takers.

Played one at GC back in the day and just didn't get the hype.

Like the OP said, this is definitely a mix problem. I use a subkick on all our gigs, even small clubs -- it is most effective when used subtly, more of a "felt" than "heard" effect.

Yeah, that's it!

I get the feel thing and I appreciate it, until it takes over the mix.

I don't get out much and had never seen/heard the sub kick live.

And of course, it's easy for me to judge because I only have to mix a handful of instruments/mics on two speakers lol. I can't imagine what is involved in a big ass arena system like that.

Yeah, that's it!

I get the feel thing and I appreciate it, until it takes over the mix.

I don't get out much and had never seen/heard the sub kick live.

Yes. Used judiciously, your only reaction will be, "That kick sounded GREAT" (but you're not quite sure why). When overused, you will feel like all your internal organs are vibrating.

I saw the Journey show along with Dave Mason and The Doobie Brothers last week. It was fantastic. I thought Mason's set was the best sound mix...very clear. The Doobie Brothers sound was great, high energy show with lots of interaction with the crowd.

The Journey set was outstanding. I admit i was only there to see Steve and the rest of the "Escape" line up. Wasn't too sure about Arnel but man he delivered. Great voice and stage presence!

I thought Steve's sub kicks were mixed way too heavy, along with Ross Valory's
Bass. At times the guitar was drowned out but overall a great show!

Last edited:
Back